Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 16-09-2020, 06:40 PM
NightSkyLK (Dineth)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppler View Post
Another option is to get a solid tube dob and if you want to move to AP you can fit some tube rings and mount it on a EQ mount. I have been using a 10" SW dob in this fashion for a couple of years now on a HEQ5 pro without issue, it's now on an NEQ6 which is a bit better in windy conditions but needs an extra counterweight due to a higher center of gravity. The 10" SW solid tube is lighter than the GSO equivalent, has a Pyrex mirror and has enough focus travel for AP.

Rick
Oh this is interesting. I do want to do AP at some point. I was thinking more in the line of a refractor (ED80) + HEQ5 pro setup without breaking the bank too much at a future stage. Didnt realize you can actually put a 10" tube on a EQ mount and do this.

Is there a significant benefit over putting up a 6" Newt on EQ mount over the 10"? I know the advantage of more light means you can do AP on very dim DSOs but with stacking cant you do the same with a 6" one? More images obviously but im assuming with a 10" tube it would be more troublesome to keep it balanced and track properly?
Old 16-09-2020, 07:43 PM
doppler (Rick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyLK View Post
Oh this is interesting. I do want to do AP at some point. I was thinking more in the line of a refractor (ED80) + HEQ5 pro setup without breaking the bank too much at a future stage. Didnt realize you can actually put a 10" tube on a EQ mount and do this.

Is there a significant benefit over putting up a 6" Newt on EQ mount over the 10"? I know the advantage of more light means you can do AP on very dim DSOs but with stacking cant you do the same with a 6" one? More images obviously but im assuming with a 10" tube it would be more troublesome to keep it balanced and track properly?

A 10" tube on an EQ mount is not really beginners stuff, but there are quite a few that do it successfully. A 10" scope has better resolution and a longer focal length so shows more detail and has a larger image scale. Balance is a bit harder to get right with a bigger tube and good polar alignment more important with the longer focal length. I've found that a heavier tube tracks a bit better with a load on the gears. If you do get the bug you will end up with more than one scope as most of us do. My wish list is big but I have to make do with what I have due to budget restraints. A SW ED80 is on my list as is a cooled astro cam, but for now its the DSLR and dob on the EQ mount.

Rick
Old 30-09-2020, 07:43 AM
RomanEagles
To infinity...and beyond!

https://astrob.in/1kpduv/0/I bought the 10" Bintel BT252-B from Bintel when they were in Melb so I've had it for a while...every now and then I'd get it out and look at Jupiter and the moon which was nice. Since lockdown I've put it on a dolly, (OTA is 16kgs!) purchased barlows and eyepieces and a ZWO asi224mc camera for astrophotography. I've take some exciting snaps....learning stacking with AutoStakkert and improving the image with Registax. It's quite addictive. I can clearly see the advantage of an EQ mount and that's my aim for early next year with tax returns and bonus...My OTA is 16kgs so I'm aiming for the Sky-Watcher NEQ6 Pro mount with tracking so I'll be able to take some bang on photos. Anyway...its all learning at the moment!

Last edited by RomanEagles; 30-09-2020 at 09:03 PM. Reason: add photo