Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 19-06-2020, 05:24 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
About to make a ZWO order...and paying the $20 express fee. Even with that, it’s $99 cheaper than through local dealer or $10 cheaper than a 2nd hand one in the trader...
I did the same a few weeks ago it came within a week.
Old 19-06-2020, 05:40 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
I recently paid for an ASI2600, but I went with our local seller (Sidereal Trading) I don't begrudge them a bit of profit in order to have easier local warranty support and access to all sorts of bits and pieces that would not be practical for me to have just sitting here. I am not too concerned with not being likely to get it until at least July some time. Stops me from being tempted to change cameras in the middle of a mosaic!

All Aussie dealers were out of stock of what I was after. ZWO email (answered literally 5 minutes after I sent it) said in stock and ready to go. So, I placed the order, and even after Paypal's crap exchange rate and fee, it was still cheaper than the second hand one in the trader, posted SpeedPak.
Old 19-06-2020, 07:27 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Ordered a book from the UK on 26th May and it arrived yesterday- 3 weeks ain't too bad in this current climate.
Old 19-06-2020, 08:58 PM
gregbradley

I tried to order something from Japan and was told Japan Post was not delivering to Australia. I checked Japan Post's site and Australia was not on the list of countries not being delivered to.

Anyone getting deliveries from Japan through Japan Post?

Greg.
Old 19-06-2020, 09:30 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

Correct, since 10th April as far as I know :-

https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/in...4_01_01_en.pdf

Japan Post is resuming to some countries, but Australia's not one of them at the moment.

https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/in.../index_en.html

Mind you experiencing how slow mail is here in Australia (don't even talk about overseas but interstate, and intrastate), makes miss Japan services when I was living there.

Meanwhile, for @LewisM, I paid express for my ZWO M68 tilt adapter (where the express was more expensive than the adapter itself), and it still took ~5-6 weeks. In retrospect, I shouldn't have paid for express.
Old 19-06-2020, 09:53 PM
Wilso

Yeah I wouldn’t be bothering paying for express for anything as they can’t guarantee delivery time for it anyway.
Good luck with your purchases
Old 20-06-2020, 06:48 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

Japan Post is resuming to some countries, but Australia's not one of them at the moment.

Mind you experiencing how slow mail is here in Australia (don't even talk about overseas but interstate, and intrastate), makes miss Japan services when I was living there.

Meanwhile, for @LewisM, I paid express for my ZWO M68 tilt adapter (where the express was more expensive than the adapter itself), and it still took ~5-6 weeks. In retrospect, I shouldn't have paid for express.

Sean, but with you being in WA, that added at least 3 weeks ex-Melbourne or Sydney to you.

I've been getting China Post items in 4 days, max 7 (mostly direct from SVBony) so lets see how long the ZWO direct one takes.
Old 20-06-2020, 07:15 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

Thanks Sean. I must have had an earlier list and Australia was not on it.

Greg.
Old 20-06-2020, 10:26 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Quote:
All Aussie dealers were out of stock of what I was after. ZWO email (answered literally 5 minutes after I sent it) said in stock and ready to go. So, I placed the order, and even after Paypal's crap exchange rate and fee, it was still cheaper than the second hand one in the trader, posted SpeedPak.

In my case what I am buying is on backorder even with ZWO so it likely wouldn't make much time difference buying it direct from them.
Old 20-06-2020, 02:16 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
I wanted to buy a solar scope,none of the Aussie dealers had any.
All out of stock..
I haven't checked to see if they have any now,but I doubt it.?
Cheers
Old 20-06-2020, 02:35 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Sean, but with you being in WA, that added at least 3 weeks ex-Melbourne or Sydney to you.

I've been getting China Post items in 4 days, max 7 (mostly direct from SVBony) so lets see how long the ZWO direct one takes.
Took 7 days for me to Melbourne
Old 20-06-2020, 02:36 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
In my case what I am buying is on backorder even with ZWO so it likely wouldn't make much time difference buying it direct from them.
It will still take longer if you wait for it from here as they are prioritised in a queue. ZWO will still be quicker even if on backorder.
Old 20-06-2020, 04:08 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Where I have bought from is already in the backorder queue, so the difference is likely to be minimal in this case.
Old 24-06-2020, 07:50 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

OK an update on my order DIRECT from ZWO. I ordered it on Friday, 19 June. They finished processing it on Tuesday, 23 June, and sent it FedEx. FedEx has since sent me SMS's and informed delivery will be Monday 29 June at the very latest. So, 6 days from when FedEx collected to when it will be delivered.

Not bad I reckon.

UPDATE: item is at Singapore as of 4am today (Fri 26 June) so definitely on schedule for Monday

Last edited by LewisM; 26-06-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Old 24-06-2020, 09:42 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

And in other news, Alex Massey came through again perfectly, even with Auspost not scanning it until it arrived...

Thanks Alex
Old 29-06-2020, 05:36 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

My parcel has just gone to customs on the 27th this month in Chicago after being posted on the 16th April.
Now to see how long it takes to get to Australia,and eventually Queensland.
Cheers
Old 29-06-2020, 09:27 PM
glend (Glen)

I have a very small parcel coming from Opt Corp, and I know it left LAX on the 5th of June, when USPS tracking stopped. Nothing since then. Maybe it is drifting across the Pacific attached to a balloon. No seriously, one day to cross the Pacific (assuming mail still moved on air freight services, which i know are flying), but nothing to indicate it ever arrived. I am ready to write it off.
Old 29-06-2020, 10:05 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

[QUOTE=glend;1480147]I have a very small parcel coming from Opt Corp, and I know it left LAX on the 5th of June, when USPS tracking stopped. Nothing since then. Maybe it is drifting across the Pacific attached to a balloon. No seriously, one day to cross the Pacific (assuming mail still moved on air freight services, which i know are flying), but nothing to indicate it ever arrived. I am ready to write it off.[/QUOT.

I was just about to write mine off after no communication from USPS.
It's tracking system went into unresponsive mode.
I have even written to the company I purchased the product from three times with no reply.
Just decided to have one more look at USPS tracking,to find it working again,and my parcel has been moved to customs clearance on the 27th US time,so yesterday our time in Chicago IL.
The distance the parcel had to travel was 430 miles/ 700kms.It arrived in Chicago 3 weeks ago after being posted on the 16th April
This is absolutely abominable service from USPS seeing as it was "Priority paid express" which they assured was not effected by Corvid-19.
If I ever order anything from the US again I will stipulate it not be sent by USPS and that's for sure.
Cheers
Old 30-06-2020, 06:41 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

My ZWO order is arriving tomorrow - 2 days overdue due to Fedex not moving it frm Matraville, NSW to Fyshwick, ACT for that time. I will collect it personally in the morning rather than waiting for them to deliver (Fedex becomes TNT here for delivery, which is about as useful as boobs on a bull)
Old 01-07-2020, 08:02 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Collected my item from Fedex at 0700 this morning - wasn't going to wait for them to deliver it

Fedex's tracking is screwy to put it mildly - said Matraville, then Fyshwick, then Fyshwick exported, then Matraville...and the whle time it was in Fyshwick. Makes ZERO sense, and the ONE employee they have here said it's an absolute nightmare, especially since buying out TNT Australia. He said Fedex head office in the US cut HUNDREDS of jobs, whereas they needed to hire considering how much online shopping is taking place. Come Christmas if they don't hire they won't cope.

Order your Chrissy gifts now