ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.50 average.
Old 28-06-2017, 09:03 AM
PCH (Paul)

Xelasnave - anyone??

Hey guys,

Anyone know if Alex is ok?

He was a prolific poster these last 300 years, but nada since April 23.

Seems a little unusual. Hope he's ok.

Cheers
Old 28-06-2017, 09:44 AM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

I was starting to wonder too mate as I always enjoy his posts. Hope he is okay. Cheers, Richard
Old 28-06-2017, 10:18 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Hmm, yes, his erudite ramblings were always informative and entertaining.
Old 28-06-2017, 10:20 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

I've been thinking the same for a while. However I think that he has gone quiet for a while a few times in the past. I notice he was suffering from shingles in Feb so I hope it's not related to that and he is just enjoying the good life out of internet contact.
Old 28-06-2017, 03:02 PM
leon

Funny you say that, well probably not funny but it had crossed my mind recently, as he was always here and sometimes we couldn't shut him up, I mean that in the best of terms as he was great to talk to.

Leon
Old 28-06-2017, 09:11 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Calling all cars, calling all cars... be on the lookout for ALEXIO....
Ah, hell... way to much contreau!
Old 30-06-2017, 03:07 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Sorry I am ok .

I visit every week but have not been logging in but I read stuff and think about what I have read.

Legs are even getting better.

Plus I have been working on various problems in an effort to help humanity.

Do you think this could work?

We have a new container ship. It comes to rest in a dock. There is only one big container which is moved off the ship on tracks for movement to a special unloading bay ( which I am working on such that unloading onto trucks is different and more efficient).
The idea is these single massive containers should enable loading and unloading in a much shorter time only an hour or two...meaning faster turn around. Oh and this container is covered in solar panels which contributes the a considerable saving in energy costs.
And I seek ideas as to how it will work and if you see a problem present your plan on how to overcome that problem.
Laying out the docks and the terminals is challenging but many efficiencies would seem to exist.
Such a system could employ multiple docks to handle more ships off course.
It could use tides only and still double current loads rate but if you pumped the dock another two times you would get four unloads...
And I have been working on a new model for human society under my proposed new world, solar system order.

So I am OK.
Alex
Old 30-06-2017, 03:20 PM
blink138 (Pat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Sorry I am ok .

I visit every week but have not been logging in but I read stuff and think about what I have read.

We have a new container ship. It comes to rest in a dock. There is only one big container which is moved off the ship on tracks for movement to a special unloading bay ( which I am working on such that unloading onto trucks is different and more efficient).
The idea is these single massive containers should enable loading and unloading in a much shorter time only an hour or two...meaning faster turn around. Oh and this container is covered in solar panels which contributes the a considerable saving in energy costs.
And I seek ideas as to how it will work and if you see a problem present your plan on how to overcome that problem.
Laying out the docks and the terminals is challenging but many efficiencies would seem to exist.
It could use tides only and still double current loads rate but if you pumped the dock another two times you would get four unloads...
And I have been working on a new model for human society under my proposed new world, solar system order.

So I am OK.
Alex
haha, the giant awakens!
pat
Old 30-06-2017, 03:32 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Good news brother as I was a little concerned as well .

Brian .
Quote:
Sorry I am ok .

So I am OK.
Alex
Old 30-06-2017, 03:35 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

All's well in the world....
Old 30-06-2017, 03:46 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_draco View Post
All's well in the world....
Old 30-06-2017, 03:48 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Sorry I am ok .

So I am OK.
Alex
Hi Alex
How do you fill the giant container
The dock would have to be the height of the ship,or the ship would want to tilt as the weight is transferred toward the dock.
The strength of the cranes or tracks would have to be tremendous,also you would obviously have to load and unload the contents your giant container at the docks and then put the load into containers to be transported to their destination.
More roads etc
The idea of containers is that they are flexible ,Ie can be moved and loaded for their specific destinations relatively quickly.
Container ships visit many ports in some countries.
Of course the construction of New Ports to cater for your "One Container" only ships would be immense.
I would be interested to see your answer on the few points I have mentioned.
Cheers
Old 30-06-2017, 04:03 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Ron thank you for your interest.
Needless to say the major attraction of my idea is that it places demands upon engineering that they love to show can be done.

The single container would hold conventional containers. The ship must be able to rest on keels (twin bilge keel). The water drops in the dock and the tracks on ship and shore line up, one on one off in a short time.
So our tracks must support , 20,000 shipping containers and our drive system robust.
Once relocated the containers could be taken off conventionally but I would think one must be able to use the in shore location to have trucks remove containers simply by backing up and then sliding them on..
More roads...this is big you would build an island to put it on...think of many of these containers coming down tracks for export, lined up, ships dock, unload and load.
The unload distributed like a rail network to where trucks unload.
It boils down to how many ton of cargo a ship carries and we build rails and motor gear box to move it.
Alex
Old 30-06-2017, 04:17 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Hi Ron thank you for your interest.
Needless to say the major attraction of my idea is that it places demands upon engineering that they love to show can be done.

The single container would hold conventional containers. The ship must be able to rest on keels (twin bilge keel). The water drops in the dock and the tracks on ship and shore line up, one on one off in a short time.
So our tracks must support , 20,000 shipping containers and our drive system robust.
Once relocated the containers could be taken off conventionally but I would think one must be able to use the in shore location to have trucks remove containers simply by backing up and then sliding them on..
More roads...this is big you would build an island to put it on...think of many of these containers coming down tracks for export, lined up, ships dock, unload and load.
The unload distributed like a rail network to where trucks unload.
It boils down to how many ton of cargo a ship carries and we build rails and motor gear box to move it.
Alex
Alex, most container ships today are in the 50 to 75 thousand Tons or more range,twenty thousand would be classed as a small container ship.
Looking at your model, I see lots of stumbling blocks,Cost, availability of space,flexibility, etc.
I await further detail as you figure out the logistics and the feasibility of your master plan.
Cheers
Old 30-06-2017, 04:31 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Biggest problem i see is not all containers get removed and or loaded at one port.
They effectively play rubiks cubes in how to stack and unstack containers to allow the most efficient load/unload times at the multiple ports along the way. Lots of mathematical models around to optimise loading these beasties.

Andrew
Old 30-06-2017, 04:39 PM
raymo

The first obstacle that I see is that there would have to be more smaller
container ships rather than the present situation of fewer larger ones.
If you have say 1000 containers at say 8 tons each, can you imagine the weight of a single large module [container] capable of being moved
around on dry land with that weight inside it? It would have to be incredibly strong to avoid its structure deforming when it was being moved.
Having been an engineer on such vessels, I am familiar with how the
system works. At the beginning of the voyage containers are placed
so that they are easily accessed at their appropriate port of call, so you
don't have to juggle containers around too much to get at the one you want.
The vessel would also be capable of carrying far fewer containers because
of the sheer weight of the module. Also, the ship's structure would have to be massively strengthened in order to withstand the huge module moving around inside it; yet more weight. I am joking, but you'd end up with the module having half a dozen lonely containers sitting inside it.
raymo
Old 30-06-2017, 05:40 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

So is it possible to move such a load?
This is for the next century where one car manufacturer is loading four of these ships at a time.
The population is mega stuff has to moved bigger and better.
How many wheels would you need?
How many HP to move it.
Alex
Old 30-06-2017, 05:54 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Say 100,000 ton.
Each wheel supports 10 ton that would be 10,000 wheels as a starting point. What area? Wheels per sq my.???
Maybe a sled? Air lift assist?
Who would buy this idea... as in pay money?
What weight per sq mt ??
You would need to fit the wheels when ship is docked.
Not a problem I just don't know how yet.
I guess I see the engineering around the world and it seems like anything can be done..
I can see it in my imagination ..
I saw a show where they built and island to be able to move goods...these folk don't know it can't be done...
Alex
Old 30-06-2017, 06:22 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Solar panels would maybe produce only 1000 HP (ruff calculation) and these ships use nearly 100,000 HP. Scrub the panels although having them may open doors of support, but panels 1% of needs
Would work out interestingly by sheer chance there would be 10 ton per square my approx which is what my hypothetic wheel could carry.
So a trolley 30 + wheels wide and 300 or so length ways.
Each wheel contains a electric hub motor than can move 10 ton...say a how many HP motor??
100 ??
Its coming together.
Alex
Old 01-07-2017, 03:20 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
So is it possible to move such a load?
Alex,

Firstly - welcome back!

In answer to your question, the answer is yes, these loads can be moved, but the logistical planning is huge. It is done routinely in the heavy construction sector, particularly for large oil / gas / mining plants in remote parts of the world, where the cost of site labour is very high.

The largest module-move project I have ever been involved with was about 12 years ago, for an oil project in northern Siberia, 600 km from the Arctic coast. We designed and built a module with an all-up mass of 8,000 tonnes. The module was landed at a purpose-built port in the summer, when the harbour was not frozen over. We then waited until winter, when the ground would freeze to be strong enough to carry the enormous loads, so we could haul it over the frozen ground to the site. The 600 km trip took several weeks. We then left the site and waited until summer for final fit-out and commissioning - because nobody could work outdoors in winter. It took a a bit over a year from landing the module to getting it operational, but about 8 months would have been idle time, waiting for the seasons to change.

As an engineering challenge - your mega-container ship is a fantastic idea. As a solution to global transport - I have my doubts.

Container transport is a remarkably efficient means of moving general cargo around the world. Getting the existing 20' and 40' containers on and off the ships is the easy part. The cranes are very fast, and they have fast shuttle vehicles to take to containers between the cranes and the container stacks, so a modern large container ship typically only spends a day or so in each port that it picks up and drops off cargo.

E.g. check out this site for the Port of Brisbane https://qships.tmr.qld.gov.au/webx/ , and then filter down to look at arrival and departure times for container ships, such as:

Laust Maersk (63,000 DWT) arriving 1 July between 00:01 - 03:30; departing between 23:00 - 02:30 (01 / 02 July)

ANL Wahroonga (68,000 DWT) arriving 1 July between 01:12 - 04:48; departing 2 July between 05:00 - 08:30