Go Back   IceInSpace > IceTrade Classifieds > IceTrade Archives
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-06-2017, 01:37 PM
Kunama

Kunama 18" F5.5 Dobsonian

With much EDIT: much happiness I am withdrawing from sale my beautiful Dobsonian...

Built with a fair bit of love and attention to detail, it has provided excellent views to many at Mt Stromlo and at Bango, with even Professor Brian Cox spending an hour at the eyepiece.

Our recent change to "Grey Nomad" style of transportation means I will need to find more compact sources of celestial enjoyment so the plans are afoot for another 18 that will fit under the motorhome bed.

The scope has a Galaxy Optics mirror that John Hudek made for himself with much attention to detail. It is an 18" F5.5 mirror that is 1.6" thick and gives superb views. The mirror suspension is an 18pt cell with nylon pads and a 2mm pre-stretched stainless steel wire sling attached to low friction linear bearings running on 10mm polished stainless steel shafts.

Navigation is via the excellent AstroDevices Nexus DSC and a set of 10K encoders. The Nexus mounts onto the jarrah eyepiece holder attached to the rocker box.

The secondary cage features a custom Feathertouch lightweight 2" focuser and a stainless steel spider with 0.65mm thick vanes. I will also be including a Televue Paracorr II with the scope

The scope build thread is here:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ight=guinevere

Feel free to contact me for any details or other images.

Cheers,
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (MS2_2643 (1).jpg)
200.9 KB277 views
Click for full-size image (MS2_2638 copy.jpg)
142.4 KB237 views
Click for full-size image (MS2_2357 copy.jpg)
139.2 KB255 views

Last edited by Kunama; 30-06-2017 at 06:55 AM.
Old 28-06-2017, 02:02 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Having not only inspected this scope in close detail, but also using it, I can attest to the absolute perfection of Guinevere. In all honesty, it presented me with the some of the best images I have ever seen with a mirrored optic.

Whomever should purchase this will be VERY satisfied!
Old 29-06-2017, 11:26 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Hi Matt,

Must have been a very tough decision. I know how much care, attention to detail and love that went in to building that scope.

You didn't consider option "B" in this case did you? ie. Keeping the scope and selling the wife ��

Or option "C" keeping the scope and buying a tow behind trailer to transport the wife ��

Cheers
John B
Old 30-06-2017, 06:53 AM
Kunama

Hi John, I have considered the other options you mentioned....

I have also realised that selling this scope would be something I will very much regret so am withdrawing it from sale......

I thought I could do it .... Thanks to those who contacted me, not just the guys interested in the scope, but also those who just rang to say I am mad.....