Paris*
5:54 pm
GMT
3:54 pm

Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 11-06-2017, 03:13 PM
rcheshire (Rowland)

Linux image preprocessing - Asterism

I have been working on a Linux preprocessing utility for about two years, primarily for my own use as an educational tool and the essential ingredients, curiosity and fun. Now in its fourth iteration, it is a more functional package with a new name features and interface.

Noted: there are plenty of excellent preprocessing programs out there... and I use PixInsight for many tasks. I am just sharing what I have been doing in astrophotography - DIY software.

Primarily intended for consumer digital camera RAW data, the Asterism user manual explains far more than I should include here.

Asterism is a bash script that performs a number of tasks more clearly arranged in a tabbed user interface - compared to previous versions.

Asterim uses existing programs to do the preprocessing work. Yad (GUI) ImageMagick (Q16) and Panotools are required. Hugin MacroFusion and Enfuse are optional. Note: libtiff should be installed on most Linux distros - if not it is also a requirement.

Asterism's primary function is preprocessing. That is image reduction / calibration deBayer alignment and stacking. Secondary processes are stand-alone image calibration, without alignment and stacking. Master frame creation. Conversion (16 bit monochrome Bayer) - not that useful unless you have special requirements.

There are range of other options, again better explained by viewing the documentation and playing with a small image set to illustrate the various functions.

Not much more to say on the topic. It's a work in progress, but functional, all the same.

Last edited by rcheshire; 15-06-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 19-06-2017, 04:54 PM
rcheshire (Rowland)

Update: I've added a polynomial stacking routine. Essentially a noise rejection filter. Removes satellite trails and hot pixels. Before and after shots. These are low resolution jpg normalized gamma 2.2 to illustrate the effect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (post-228066-0-87483800-1497825500.jpg)
72.5 KB23 views
Click for full-size image (post-228066-0-04502800-1497825520.jpg)
60.2 KB22 views

Last edited by rcheshire; 27-06-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 24-06-2017, 12:14 PM
rcheshire (Rowland)

A new version. No major changes. Largely bug fixes, code tidy up and provision for setting ImageMagick in-built resources - threads and memory - on a per-session basis. Removed unnecessary parallel processing routines, letting ImageMagick handle the resources.

EDIT: with reference to the first post, dcraw is also required

Last edited by rcheshire; 27-06-2017 at 02:44 PM.