Old 31-05-2017, 05:07 PM
Nebulous (Chris)

Look out - no brakes!

Look Out! No Brakes!

We're lucky enough to get a lot of bird life on our 4 acre bush block and I enjoy trying to capture some of the action.

There is an abundance of natural food available here - ranging from gum nuts, tasty native flowering bushes, and various seeds, numerous insects, various roots that the parrots like to dig up and eat, etc. But I do confess to the occasional bit of bribery (yes, wicked I know...). The simplest lure is water - for drinking and bathing in, but I do sometimes sprinkle a bit of mixed seed. Not enough to effect their diet or make them reliant in any way (there's a large number of local birds and I couldn't possibly feed them all even if I wanted to) But just enough to coax a few takers into a convenient spot for an occasional quick snap.

The resident galahs, bronze wings and magpies usually tolerate each other's presence with just the occasional wing display if anybody gets too close. But in this picture it looked like a full on collision was about to take place!

In fact it was the reverse of what it seems. The galah was actually going up and backwards not coming into land. The magpie had snapped its beak at the galah and spooked it. It flew upwards for a few metres and then landed again and they all resumed foraging as if nothing had happened.

All bluff and bluster really. Just birdy politics!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (No Brakes 09a.jpg)
167.5 KB134 views
Old 31-05-2017, 07:58 PM
leon

Love it, nice capture

Leon
Old 04-06-2017, 12:44 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Great capture Chris.

We get a lot of that at our place as well, usually while two are arguing about who owns what bit of seed another walks in and pinches it.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:32 PM
Nebulous (Chris)

Thanks for the supportive comments Leon and Ric. I never tire of watching the antics of the local wildlife.

There's rarely any serious fights but most of the disagreements are over who's who in the pecking order - with regard to either shelter, food or mating. Come to think of it.... that's a bit like us humans too I guess...
Old 08-06-2017, 12:53 AM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Wonderful shot.
I put up a bird bath about a month ago and I'm still waiting for a bird to have a dunk, goodness knows I get enough of them on my bottle brush tree . Just parrots, Minas and crested Doves. Maybe I should plant a sign... "Bird bath here, no charge" .
Old 08-06-2017, 08:18 AM
Redshift13 (Rohan)

Great pic Chris - well captured!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
I put up a bird bath about a month ago and I'm still waiting for a bird to have a dunk
Give it time Suzy, same thing happened when I set up a water feature and bird bath in our backyard. Just make sure the water is refreshed regularly and they'll find it eventually. These days, the birdbath is so popular I need to refill it every day - twice in the summer months!
Old 08-06-2017, 10:06 AM
baileys2611 (Simon Bailey)
I like biscuits

Fantastic action shot!

Has anyone considered participating in this study: https://csdb.org.au/feedingbirds/home.aspx

I remember hearing Dr. Cleary talk about this (in a fantastic Irish accent!) on the ABC Science show a few months back.
Old 29-06-2017, 01:07 PM
gary

Hi Chris,

The only way I think this wonderful shot might be improved upon is if it
could spin around like "Bullet Time" in the Matrix.

https://youtu.be/bKEcElcTUMk
Old 29-06-2017, 10:00 PM
Nebulous (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Hi Chris,

The only way I think this wonderful shot might be improved upon is if it
could spin around like "Bullet Time" in the Matrix.

https://youtu.be/bKEcElcTUMk
Intriguing clip!

I must be the last person on the planet who hasn't seen The Matrix, so maybe I need to rectify the omission.