Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 27-06-2017, 10:26 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

If you're interested in a Canon 6D or better, you'll likely be disappointed with a 600D. It's noise behaviour is nothing like the 6D or your X-T2, both of which also pass more Ha unmodded than your average Canon.

I have the Samyang 12mm f2 for my X-A3 and it's a nice lens, not perfect, but certainly collects light...in 13 second exposures, the pink Ha is obvious around the Lagoon, Swan, Eagle, Prawn nebulae.
Old 28-06-2017, 03:30 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
If you're interested in a Canon 6D or better, you'll likely be disappointed with a 600D. It's noise behaviour is nothing like the 6D or your X-T2, both of which also pass more Ha unmodded than your average Canon.

I have the Samyang 12mm f2 for my X-A3 and it's a nice lens, not perfect, but certainly collects light...in 13 second exposures, the pink Ha is obvious around the Lagoon, Swan, Eagle, Prawn nebulae.
Thanks very much for that post. I was considering a 600D but really I think it would have been a compromise. 6D it is. Now its whether the latest model is worth the extra $s over the original or not. For nightscapes the original seems to do really well. I'd have to know the latest model would be significantly better.

Yes the XT2 is quite good, so is my A7r2 despite the hot pixel suppression system.

Greg.
Old 28-06-2017, 07:27 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Greg, considering your current cameras, I can imagine your (potential) disappointment...the 6D was launched 5 years ago and times have changed.

I loved my 6D though, took cracking photos day and night. Thermal noise would spoil long exposures on summer nights up here in QLD though.
Old 28-06-2017, 07:30 PM
casstony

The Canon 7d2 was shown to have dark current 10 times less than previous generation Canon DSLRs, including the 6D. I assume the 6D2 will have similar improved technology.

I'll be trying to pick between the Canon 6D2 and the Nikon D750, hoping to stick with Canon since I already have cables and adapter's to suit.
Old 28-06-2017, 07:38 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I'd be interested in the Nikon D820 and if they come out with an "A" version. It'll most likely have the sensor from the Sony A7RII but without the Star Eater noise reduction feature.
Old 29-06-2017, 07:26 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Greg, considering your current cameras, I can imagine your (potential) disappointment...the 6D was launched 5 years ago and times have changed.

I loved my 6D though, took cracking photos day and night. Thermal noise would spoil long exposures on summer nights up here in QLD though.
You're cooling my jets here! Thanks for the info as I don't want to get one and be disappointed. You are right I should wait for reports on the latest model and see how it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
The Canon 7d2 was shown to have dark current 10 times less than previous generation Canon DSLRs, including the 6D. I assume the 6D2 will have similar improved technology.

I'll be trying to pick between the Canon 6D2 and the Nikon D750, hoping to stick with Canon since I already have cables and adapter's to suit.
Roger Clark says the 7D2 sensor is the best he's used. Sounds good but I am not that thrilled about APSc size. I have XT2 which is probably better as its the latest copper wired Sony Exmor 24mp sensor and its really very good but full frame is always a bit better I think. 6D2 should be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I'd be interested in the Nikon D820 and if they come out with an "A" version. It'll most likely have the sensor from the Sony A7RII but without the Star Eater noise reduction feature.
I have an earlier firmware on my A7r2 so "I think" the star eater issue is OK for me if I stay at 30 seconds. For nightscapes though it does not seem that much of an issue as I have taken all sorts of exposures, lower ISO longer time, high ISO shorter time. 90 seconds ISO 3200 worked well or ISO1600 and boost. Sony sensors are ISOless meaning you can expose at a lower ISO and boost in post for much the same brightness etc as a higher ISO exposed image. Within reason.
A7r2 is very good but some coloured speckled noise in the shadows which the A7r never had but it processes out quite easily and the star eater thing was Sony's response to this speckled colour noise (poorly implemented like Nikon's was for many years- same issue).I think its likely (given the amount of internet talk about it) that the star eater will be fixed. A recent firmware was a failed attempt to fix it and it improved it slightly but its still a problem). Luckily I did not "upgrade" my firmware so my camera is running on the firmware where it kicks in only in bulb (I think a recent test I did seems to show it kicks in also at 4 seconds but not completely clear).

My other question is does a modified camera work better for nightscapes or is it really only better for telescope imaging?

Greg
Old 29-06-2017, 12:05 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Am I right in assuming you want a camera that doesn't require an external power source and computer to operate?

Otherwise I'm wondering if the QHY/ZWO camera might be an option as you can get cameras that can be easily cooled. I like my Canon 6D but as noted, the thermal noise when the temperatures are warm is not great. With these new cameras, they've got the cooling integrated and they are targeted at astro work.

Although I have not used it, the ZWO cameras can be controlled from Android devices, so you might be able to avoid needing a computer (there's probably something similar for other brands?). And I suspect a small portable power source for the cooling (when needed) might be possible, although most likely the largest sticking point for this solution.

I'm considering getting the necessary bits to try this approach with my Polarie and the ASI1600MM-C I've got (although I'll still use a little laptop for controlling it all). I'd be adding my filter wheel to it, but with the right adapters/spacers, I think I should be able to use the Canon lenses ok and not too much weight - might need to get the extension kit though for the Polarie. However, this is down the list for now until I get through my other tasks/projects.
Old 29-06-2017, 04:23 PM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

Hi Greg - thought this might interest you if you haven't seen it:
https://www.outdoorphotographer.com/...os-6d-mark-ii/

In my opinion for nightscapes you definitely want both full-frame and modded - the latter especially if you are planning on using tracking for your nightscapes and going deep like this: https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170530.html

Cheers,
Pete
Old 01-07-2017, 07:47 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

I've posted this link in a separate thread in AP equipment, but Canon are using an Aussie astrophotographers in their promotion of the 6D Mk II...

https://www.canon.com.au/explore/ast...hew-vandeputte

It'd be interesting to get his feedback on Ha response, for example.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:33 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post
Hi Greg - thought this might interest you if you haven't seen it:
https://www.outdoorphotographer.com/...os-6d-mark-ii/

In my opinion for nightscapes you definitely want both full-frame and modded - the latter especially if you are planning on using tracking for your nightscapes and going deep like this: https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170530.html

Cheers,
Pete
That guy's nightscapes are superb. He uses a Baader IR modded 6D and a Samyang 24 1.4 at F2.8. The Ha areas are subtle and not exaggerated and its a good look.

I'll wait for 6D2 reviews and performance and decide then. Used modded 6Ds may come down in price as owners want to upgrade to the latest model.

Greg.

Quote:
I've posted this link in a separate thread in AP equipment, but Canon are using an Aussie astrophotographers in their promotion of the 6D Mk II...

https://www.canon.com.au/explore/ast...hew-vandeputte

It'd be interesting to get his feedback on Ha response, for example.