Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-06-2019, 06:05 PM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

Jupiter -C-I-E First attempt

Hello fellow addicts Thought I'd add to the Jupiter POOL from 10th June with 5/10 seeing . My Olympus 4/3 mirrorless EMP-2 with 2 x Barlow at Newtonian focus .Not sure of the Magnification but that would be 5.080meters FL . 5% of 1440 JPEGS ( I haven't figured Video in Autostakkart yet) . Curves saturation and crop in Gimp. I've had a previous attempts but they were a boiling mess. Any who ,I was happy to frame from top Left Callisto Io and Europa . Cheers. Now waiting for steady seeing to have another crack.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (102OLYMP_Jupiter100619_lapl4_ap1_Drizzle15.jpg)
194.3 KB65 views
Old 15-06-2019, 07:18 PM
foc (Ross)

Good work. I have the same camera so perhaps I should try it as well. I always found its 'live view' hard to obtain a sharp focus for small points of light.
Focus on the moon looks sharp, Assume you are using a tracking mount?
Old 16-06-2019, 08:15 AM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

The servocat does the tracking. I didn’t set up on my normal pad as gumtrees block out the East upto 60 degrees.As such the grass lawn introduced a fair amount of bounce when slewing Jupiter into the centre however at 1/320sec I doubt that a mirrorless camera would induce vibration into the optical train and that the seeing conditions were the major degrading factor on the night ?? Thoughts ....
Old 16-06-2019, 11:50 AM
foc (Ross)

Are you capturing in fire capture? It is easy to set it to put the capture output as a suitable file such as a Ser file. You can then open the file in AS!3 (or As!2) and click planet and dynamic etc (there are plenty of tuts on the net to cover the other settings needed) and put output as TIF. JPG files will lose some detail so if you can avoid them in your workflow (until perhaps your IIS posting) that is best. This alone might improve what you achieve a lot.

Otherwise, it is hard for someone of my limited experience to be sure if seeing or other factors have affected the focus but I note your moons are not quite round. Perhaps your capture speed was a trifle slow.
Old 16-06-2019, 03:10 PM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

Hey Ross , Thanks man I believe that working in isolation for one reason or another really limits ones horizon. I get swapped by the variety of possibilities concerning Post processing / what program to use, who's technique / "Work flow" ( now there is a trendy couple of words ) so in the end one bumbles through with freeware to some sort of result that may or may not bring pleasure to ones self or others.. " Not feeling it" ATM as my kids would say. But hey , I could feel better about wasted time on on another day ...... On a brighter note I didn't even realise I could capture live data to a computer with my EPM-2 . The shape of the moons doesn't surprise me , I used a 20" Bart mask but my focuser doesn't lock and you are right about the screen being hard to read as it is small.I was using a zip tie to hold the button down and saving to an SD card.With the help of a guy I have recently gotten to know with a C9.25 I purchased second hand a little touch screen lap top just for imaging so getting that going will be my next step. THX for the advice