Old 13-07-2014, 10:59 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Can anyone ID this time-lapse mount

It's a terrific strong bit of kit for mounting time-lapse equipment and providing fine-adjustments uin both Alt and Az to get good polar alignment as well.
I picked this one up on IIS several years ago but can't remember or find where. I'd like to grab another one if I can and was wondering if anyone recognised it. It's looks like TAK colours but there's not signage on it.

I've included a shot of it holding my StarLapse system and little Tak FS60CB/Olympus OM-D EM-1.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (simple mount.JPG)
198.3 KB70 views
Click for full-size image (simple mount 2.JPG)
160.9 KB80 views
Old 13-07-2014, 04:10 PM
jamiep (Jamie)

Peter,

it looks like a peter tan special ....

http://www.tan14.com/Others.htm

Scroll down to 'Micro Guide Mount' ....

Jamie
Old 13-07-2014, 04:42 PM
uwahl (Ulrich)
Mr Avalot To'Learn

Mount

It is a Losmandy Star Lapse. Only the head - you need to supply your own tripod.

See http://www.losmandy.com/starlapse.html
Old 13-07-2014, 04:45 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Peter, how does it attach to the tripod?
I'm using a Manfrotto geared head with my StarLapse on a heavy duty camera tripod, but if this one works with camera tripods and supports setting latitudes at least as far south as Sydney, preferably further I'd be interested too.
Old 13-07-2014, 04:47 PM
uwahl (Ulrich)
Mr Avalot To'Learn

Sorry

Shot off the reply before digesting the message - of course you already know its a Star Lapse! (they don"t have an emoticon for brain fade so the one for confused will have to do)
Old 13-07-2014, 04:55 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiep View Post
Peter,

it looks like a peter tan special ....

http://www.tan14.com/Others.htm

Scroll down to 'Micro Guide Mount' ....

Jamie
Bingo! Thanks Jamie.
Peter
Old 14-07-2014, 02:07 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
Peter, how does it attach to the tripod?
I'm using a Manfrotto geared head with my StarLapse on a heavy duty camera tripod, but if this one works with camera tripods and supports setting latitudes at least as far south as Sydney, preferably further I'd be interested too.
It has 3 threaded holes in the base with the standard camera thread. I also have a heavy tripod for traveling and have experimented with different heads (Manfrotto etc) but find this is the most solid and offers the best fine adjustments. In the photo, the device is sitting on top of an old pier and is fastened with a bolt from underneath using one of those holes.

I drilled and tapped some holes in an old Vixen bar - you could also do the same for a short Losmandy bar because the StarLapse accepts both - so I could screw that onto the top plate of this device. You can see the heads of the short bolts in the photo.

As you'll also see from the photo, I have it set up so I can adjust both alt and az BUT if you look closely at the altitude adjuster, you may see that I have had it apart and used a grinder to reshape the metal tongue that controls altitude - the reason being that I could not get it to point much above 30 degrees so it was of limited use on my travels down south. But with a bit of judicious grinding and shaping, I was able to get enough to be able to use it anywhere on mainland Australia.

Peter