Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-03-2017, 10:35 AM
glend (Glen)

Possible Bargain on new Celestron Edge HD 800

I have run across a special offer (overseas) on the Celestron Edge HD 800 ota, price $1746 Aud equivalent. This seems to be a very good price for this scope, which has a lowest price in Australia of $2399 - 2499, at the moment. Even with shipping and GST it looks like i could land it for $2000. It is a risk but i have dealt with the supplier before. As i am an imager i would need the CCD47 reducer to get to f8 obviously.
What do you think? I want a longer focal length scope but had a bad experience with the GSO RC08 and do not want collimation headaches, is the Edge HD 800 easy to use?

Last edited by glend; 22-03-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 22-03-2017, 11:01 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Haven't read a lot of glowing reports on them, including people moaning of fluffy stars etc. Here is one review: http://joebergeron.com/edge.htm

Others continually say that without fans, the scope is very slow to eliminate thermal waves - so, you'd want the fan kit.

Seems a fair bit of money for a "maybe" scope (like most SCT's - some are terrible, many are OK, most are never excellent) - blunt, but there ya go.
Old 22-03-2017, 11:03 AM
glend (Glen)

Thanks Lewis, i have read that report before but forgot about it. I think i will reconsider after reading that report again. I have also checked out some of the Astrobin photos and i can see what you mean about fluffy stars.
Old 22-03-2017, 11:03 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

some fo the cloudy nights folk prefer them to the meade ACF's, flat field advantage..as always the sample-sample variation will hurt you if they ship a bad one, otherwise go for it
seems easy to use from reports i read, casstony as one i think
Old 22-03-2017, 11:29 AM
glend (Glen)

Thanks Daniel. I am reviewing how far i can stretch my budget. I may have to consider a proper RC or ODK and that means waiting.
Old 22-03-2017, 12:16 PM
casstony

In temperate climates you'll want active cooling and there is sample variation from OK to great. I've got one with excellent optics and the one Ian Fry owns has A grade optics too; Ian has considered selling his previously, you could see if he's interested in selling.

Precise collimation is easy using an artificial star inside the house and the 8's tend to have very minimal mirror shift so the collimation stays good.

I haven't imaged through mine but it has mirror locks if needed.
Old 22-03-2017, 02:41 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Heck, Ian would sell the Harbour Btidge if he could.

He is in buying mode now so might be opportune time as Tony suggests
Old 22-03-2017, 02:48 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Spoke to Ian - he sold it already
Old 22-03-2017, 05:27 PM
glend (Glen)

Looking closely at the Vixen VC200L, optically seems great, same price point, but Lewis in a past thread seemed to think they area tough to collimate, which i want to avoid. Views? Lewis do you miss yours?
Nuts it seems ti be discontinued.

Last edited by glend; 22-03-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 22-03-2017, 09:39 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Not hard, but equal to the RC's. You really need a Tak collimation scope otherwise you end up leaning at windmills. You THINK you have it spot on but are really way off.

The spider vanes also need replacing or thinning.

Nice visual scope, but needs a lot of work to make it an imaging scope. Terry Robson knows how to if you go that path.

My recommendation: personally, if you need 8", a Vixen R200SS Newtonian with flattener and modified spider, or the Skywatcher clone Quattro. The Tak Epsilons are superb, but well outside your imposed budget, even for the 130.
Old 22-03-2017, 10:02 PM
rrussell1962

I'm on my second VC200L. I sold my first one and regretted it for 10 years. I've never used the Tak collimating scope. To collimate without it you really do need the Vixen extension for the focuser draw tube. Without it you can't collimate the secondary properly. The older ones (mine) are easier because they had 3 primary mirror clips and you can collimate the secondary by racking out the focus until their reflection in the secondary disappears at the same time. The newer VC's have a retaining ring on the primary which may be not as easy to see as the 3 mirror clips.
My experience is that the only way to properly collimate the primary is by star testing. The VC200L is very sensitive to collimation, but it does hold collimation well. Once collimated it performs very well for visual allowing for the large secondary obstruction and the thick vanes.

Last edited by rrussell1962; 22-03-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 22-03-2017, 10:13 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Edge 8 is a great little scope. The Celestron reducer brings it down to f/7-ish.

Collimation is critical, or at least, readily noticeable if it's out. The scope is very light (about 6kg bare). The TEMPest fans take minutes to fit, but in Brisbane I don't have much need to use them as the temperature doesn't drop all that quickly.

IMO you're more likely to be seeing limited with a scope of that focal length.

I've imaged with both my Edge 8 and 11 and if I could guarantee better seeing more regularly, I'd do more DSO imaging with them. As it is, those nights of good seeing rarely seem to coincide with New Moon so I'm left planetary imaging.

From my understanding, large stars are a given with slow reflectors
Old 22-03-2017, 10:53 PM
glend (Glen)

Thank you Gents for your suggestions and experiences. Lewis i don't 'need' an 8" , it was the focal length that attracted but it was going to be reduced anyway for imaging in those designs. I have a very nice carbon strut 10" f5 imaging newt that i built some years ago, which is 1250mm fl. I had tried an 8" RC for about a year but could never get reliable collimation, despite having all the tools (Tak scope, Howie Glatter Ring laser, etc) and gave up on it in the end - too frustrating. So i am very leary of more collimation problematic designs.

Last edited by glend; 22-03-2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old 23-03-2017, 11:19 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

The VC-200L is still available locally. You know where His price is decent too.

There is a 2nd hand VC-200L in the trader - I sent an enquiry weeks ago, no response.
Old 24-03-2017, 10:19 AM
glend (Glen)

After reading a comparison of the Vixen and Edge on CN i decided to go with the Edge HD. Its on the way. Thanks folks.
Old 24-03-2017, 03:06 PM
cydonia

I wouldn't"t say the comparison between the Edge and a AP 155 is fair other then for curiously sake. AP155 $10k or more for OTA, Edge 8 with fork and tripod $2400.

I received a new standard 8" sct a while ago and the level of detail on Jupiter I got Last week was jaw dropping.

The QC of modern SCTs is a lot higher now, I have owed a total of 5 SCTs over 20 years and I think Celestron is producing some of the best SCTs they ever have now.
Old 24-03-2017, 03:12 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydonia View Post
I wouldn't"t say the comparison between the Edge and a AP 155 is fair other then for curiously sake. AP155 $10k or more for OTA, Edge 8 with fork and tripod $2400.

I received a new standard 8" sct a while ago and the level of detail on Jupiter I got Last week was jaw dropping.

The QC of modern SCTs is a lot higher now, I have owed a total of 5 SCTs over 20 years and I think Celestron is producing some of the best SCTs they ever have now.
What the? Who is talking about an AP 155? Wires crossed somewhere.
Old 24-03-2017, 03:40 PM
cydonia

My apologies, I thought the review http://joebergeron.com/edge.htm was comparing the two
Old 24-03-2017, 03:58 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydonia View Post
My apologies, I thought the review http://joebergeron.com/edge.htm was comparing the two
Actually what i said was a comparison not a review, however, in the 12 March thread started by neb1 there was a link to a review here:

www.chuckhawks.com/vixen_VC200L_telescope.htm

and keep in mind it was compared with a standard C8 not the Edge HD.

The comparion thread i was talking about is here:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...on-c8-edge-hd/

I don't think i need to defend my choice, but considering my budget, and wide spread user base, and Astrobin images, the Edge Hd was my choice.
Old 24-03-2017, 04:32 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

From reading about them, one common thread is to install Tempest Fans to significantly help with cooling.