Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 09-12-2020, 09:10 PM
evltoy (Wayne)

Can I do this with my 2x Barlow Lens? / Adaptor?

Hi again all,

I hope someone can help me out. I have a Celestron 2x Barlow which has a T-Thread adaptor for me to attach my DSLR to. Currently the barlow cant go directly into my 90 degree diagonal as it is 1-2mm too long and hits the glass inside the diagonal.

The 2x Barlow lens can unscrew from the T-thread 1.25” nose adaptor.

Can anyone see an issue if I unscrew the 2x Lens from the 1.25” nose adaptor and screw it on the diagonal which goes into the visual back, then insert the leftover 1.25” nose adaptor into the diagonal to attach the DSLR?

Cheers
Wayne
Old 10-12-2020, 03:32 AM
astro744

Your amplification factor will go up as the distance to camera is longer and whether the final combination is optimal will depend on all the components. I.e. you may not achieve focus or may suffer from vignetting.

Why do you need the diagonal in circuit? Remove it all together and make up any path length difference with a short extension if at all needed. If you’ve got the bits try it without diagonal and with as you suggested.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:35 AM
evltoy (Wayne)

Thanks astro for your reply.

I was pretty much thinking what you said, but needed confirmation.

Initially I wanted to delete the diagonal and just insert the Barlow/Adaptor straight into the visual back, but I want to use my baader moon/skyglow filter and cant with this setup as the Barlow lens doesn't have the provision to screw it on.

Another option I could see is to unscrew the lens and fit the filter between the lens and 1.25 nose. Only issue here is the lens doesn't screw flush into the filter as the thread on the lens is longer by 2-3 threads

Also I have a T2 to 1.25 nose adaptor on its way for me to use with the filter straight into the visual back, but there are some objects that I require a 2x Barlow to see the image.
Old 15-12-2020, 06:41 PM
Max Vondel (Peter)
Time Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by evltoy View Post
Hi again all,
Can anyone see an issue if I unscrew the 2x Lens from the 1.25” nose adaptor and screw it on the diagonal which goes into the visual back, then insert the leftover 1.25” nose adaptor into the diagonal to attach the DSLR?

Cheers
Wayne
All you can do is try Wayne and see if it works.
I am unsure about the diagonal you are using but you might
get more clearance with a 2" diagonal and an 1.25" insert
Old 15-12-2020, 08:11 PM
Tulloch (Andrew)

The magnification from the barlow will change if you change the distance from the front of the barlow to the eyepiece/camera. Most barlows follow the relationship shown here from the Tele Vue website.
https://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_...=52&Tab=_photo