Old 08-01-2008, 08:52 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

400D accessories for astrophotography

I'm seeking advice on what I need to hook a 400D up to a 10" Newt.

I'm assuming this involves a T ring and camera adapter. Is there a brand/combination that is suited to Newts with limited backfocus?

Also what sort of remote shutter release is recommended?

Any other goodies needed?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 08-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

If you would like a programmable Remote Release that allows interval shooting, such as say, take 10 exposures of 3 minutes duration at intervals of 7 minutes (allows for in-camera noise reduction) then here is a post on how I converted a Canon TC-80N3 for my Pentax, something which should also be feasible with a Canon 400D?

Cheers

Dennis
Old 09-01-2008, 05:01 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Peter.

You'd best find out if you can reach focus with your 400D and 10" newt. You may need a low profile focuser, or to move the mirror up the tube to allow enough in-focus to bring it to focus.

Apart from that, yes - the T-Ring and camera adapter will allow you to insert it into the focuser.

As for shutter release, you're best off controlling it from a computer (laptop) if you can, via software (and cables connected to the camera). It's much easier and the images are downloaded directly to the computer.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:57 AM
ozstockman (Mike)

There is no need in Canon TC-80N3 anymore. You can buy a replacement on ebay which does exactly the same while it's three times cheaper than Canon TC-80N3 remote control($65 including postage). Also there will be no need in modifying its connector as it's sold with a right connector for each particular model. If the link above won't work just search au ebay for "timer remote 400D". The guy who sells them also has a Battery grip for 400D with built in timer and LCD display for sale but I guess it's better to have just a wired timer remote control as you don't want your camera to shake everytime you start the shooting session.

Re T-Ring: if you are going to use Stilleto focuser don't buy T-Ring for Canon EOS from Bintel. It suits fine Canon bayonet fine but unfortunately it doesn't suit Stilleto at all. If you are not going to use it any T-Ring that's suitable for Canon EOS will work.

I can't give you advice on T-adapter but there should be plenty of them on the market. They can have an extension tube which adds more space and can even accept eyepieces. I was using something similiar before but because it's 1.25" and it adds too much vagnetting to the edges I've decided to move to 2" T-Adapter.

cheers,

Michael
Old 09-01-2008, 07:08 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Thanks for the advice.
I'm assuming this remote will hold the shutter open based on the programmed timevs the Canon accessories that just fire the shutter button?

I've eyeballed the focus position based on the focal plane mark position on the camera and compared this to the DSI+filterwheel dimensions. It will come close depending on the size of the t-adaptor. Is there a low profile version t adaptor? - the images I've seen look like there will be about 10mm standoff from the end of the focuser.

Mike - did you cut down your tube to bring your 350D to focus?

Peter
Old 09-01-2008, 08:47 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

No Peter, I don't use my 12" dob with the 350D. I use an ED80.

My 12" dob is currently used only for planetary/lunar imaging with the DMK.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:26 AM
ozstockman (Mike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
Thanks for the advice.
I'm assuming this remote will hold the shutter open based on the programmed timevs the Canon accessories that just fire the shutter button?
Hi Peter,

It has two options:

1) You can set a number of shoots, exposure time and interval before 1st shoot and between them. Then just press a start button to begin a session.

2)you can also press another botton to take a single shoot and hold it for required time. You can also lock this button so you won't need to keep it pressed manually.

I guess it has all functionality that Canon TC-80N3 has and it even looks like the one from Canon :-)

cheers,

Michael
Old 10-01-2008, 07:34 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Thanks again. Mike I forgot to ask what software you use to control the camera from the computer. It looks like the EOS utility that comes with the camera is able to remotely control but I haven't looked at the functionality yet. Is there any other software you recommend?
Old 10-01-2008, 07:38 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I use ImagesPlus, for camera control and image processing.

You need the USB cable and the serial cable, both connecting to the DSLR.
Old 15-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Sharnbrook (Mike)

Hi Peter (and anyone else interested),
I suggest you contact Geoff Johnston (probably best to email him) who lives in Brisbane, as he makes remote releases for Canon 300, 350 and 400D cameras, and has them in stock. From memory, they are about $35, but don't quote me on that. I can vouch for the fact that they work, and Geoff has also produced some excellent images using one.
Old 15-01-2008, 06:35 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Ok thanks - I'll check that out.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:46 AM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

After looking at the options I've decided to give the Shoestring DSUSB DSLR to computer interface a try. Does anyone have experience using this product? I'm assuming Iceman is connecting his DSLR to the computer via a serial connection to achieve a similar outcome using ImagesPlus software.

I'm planning to use the Stark-Labs DSLR Shutter to control the Bulb exposure and the Canon EOS Ultility to control the other camera parameters and download images. Is anyone using the camera in this way?

I have another question regarding the USB connection direct to the camera (the white cable that comes with the 400D). Is this just a regular USB type A to USB mini cable? I am looking to get a longer cable to connect the camera (mounted on scope) to the laptop. Are there any issues using a longer cable anyone is aware of?

Cheers,

Peter