Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Poll: How should the scientific community respond to pseudoscientific theory?
Poll Options
How should the scientific community respond to pseudoscientific theory?

Old 14-01-2018, 12:29 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

I suppose it is interesting to listen to the rabbiting on by the flat earthers.
Old 14-01-2018, 01:19 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

I saw a sign posted recently elsewhere that said Flat Earthers had members in all parts of the globe ..
Old 15-01-2018, 08:56 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
I saw a sign posted recently elsewhere that said Flat Earthers had members in all parts of the globe ..
I think the quote is '..members all around the globe' or '.. all around the world'.
Old 15-01-2018, 12:41 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Close enough to get the idea ....
Old 15-01-2018, 12:58 PM
rally

Alex,

Im not sure your trip to the underside is a good idea.

The first problem is keeping control when you go over the edge on the waterfall, but once on the underside you are simply going to fall off.
Its a barren wasteworld - we all know that because we live on the top and nobody and nothing can live on the otherside - otherwise we would have already spoken to someone who did.

Thats the logic of it - far too dangerous.
Old 15-01-2018, 01:11 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

We are on the bottom our vision as we all know has to invert what we see...more proof.

The flat earthers had a meeting last November and I missed it but the good news there will be another next year.
If you have time have a look at some of the utube vids about it..hear real people talking with such conviction about why they dont believe the Earth is a globe.

I bet if I started a crowd funding thing and asked for money to drill a hole thru the flat Earth I could retire..well if I was working and seeking to retire which I am not...do you see what I am driving at...good send cash.
Alex
Old 15-01-2018, 01:20 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
We are on the bottom our vision as we all know has to invert what we see...more proof.

The flat earthers had a meeting last November and I missed it but the good news there will be another next year.
If you have time have a look at some of the utube vids about it..hear real people talking with such conviction about why they dont believe the Earth is a globe.

I bet if I started a crowd funding thing and asked for money to drill a hole thru the flat Earth I could retire..well if I was working and seeking to retire which I am not...do you see what I am driving at...good send cash.
Alex
Alex...
I've got an ol rusty shovel in the garage , as a freebie to start your endevours....but its pick up only! Its even got an Ol Televue sticker on it.
Ive also got an ol can with a few coins in it to start your collection..
All you need do is shake it around the traps and say "Flat Earthers Unite" ..that sort of thing..should work.
bigjoe

Last edited by bigjoe; 15-01-2018 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Add
Old 15-01-2018, 01:31 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Alex...
I've got an ol rusty shovel in the garage , as a freebie to start your endevours....but its pick up only! Its even got an Ol Televue sticker on it.
bigjoe
Is it right or left handed?
Alex
Old 15-01-2018, 01:36 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Is it right or left handed?
Alex
Was looking at the sad thing last through a small scope and diagonal from my porch ..cant remember if it was a mirror image hmm..may need to check.
Yes thats right ..there wasn't much else to do that day ..it was clouded over.
bigjoe.
Old 15-01-2018, 01:45 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

This may be of interest.
https://www.sciencealert.com/rapper-...-earth-is-flat

Alex
Old 15-01-2018, 02:00 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
and none of the airlines would fly him on a course that would prove he was right which he presented as clear evidence that "they" were keeping the truth hidden.
Alex
I'd start a GoFundMe to charter a small private jet and fly him anywhere he wanted.

-Average contribution: $5
-The look on his face when it dawns on him? Priceless.

Wow... my first post(?)
Old 15-01-2018, 02:03 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
Wow... my first post(?)
Welcome to the forum Andy.

Best
JA
Old 15-01-2018, 02:10 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
I'd start a GoFundMe to charter a small private jet and fly him anywhere he wanted.

-Average contribution: $5
-The look on his face when it dawns on him? Priceless.

Wow... my first post(?)
And a wonderful post it is.

You have given me an idea.

A croud fund for a jet and all sorts of astronomy gear and cameras to fly to someplace nice so my team and I can take photos to evidence the Earth is flat... Who wants to go?
Chile maybe.
I hope folk are able to trace why we have these nutters thinking the way they do...

Alex
Old 15-01-2018, 02:20 PM
Sconesbie (Scott)

What about asking them for their evidence as they have been asking for ours?
Old 15-01-2018, 02:34 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Cheers Dudes,

I was thinking about this years ago, when I first heard of "Flat Earthers". Donning my "Skeptical Hat" I considered if the actions of certain prominent Flat Earthers (did I just capitalise that as a title?), would use this popular topic to further personal goals.

Various individuals were trying to raise money to pay for LEO hops on Virgin Galactic's little rocket. In this, they could "see for themselves" and share the wisdom with the lesser groundfolk.

A free ride on a Virgin Galactic rocket... Who here wouldn't want that? All you gotta do is tell the gullible what they want to hear... (a bit beyond mine and most's ability).
Old 15-01-2018, 03:00 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconesbie View Post
What about asking them for their evidence as they have been asking for ours?
It has been my experience that you can not change belief with fact.

Lets face it there is plenty of evidence that these folk could focus upon but it seems many rely upon a literal interpretation of their particular religious book and such a stand leads to all sorts of crazy statements that clearly dont hold water.

But flat earth folk are but the tip of the ice berg as we say.

Think of the various fundamental religious positions, add all those who believe in astrology, add voo doo, witch craft, souls, previous life, after life, ghosts, ufo as in alien visitations, genuine politicians, alternative health stuff, and that 100% employement is possible or even a genuine goal in any economy.
Is there even anything we can call normal.
Alex
Old 15-01-2018, 03:33 PM
rally

I truly find it hard to believe that any of them really believe the Earth is flat - they want their moment of glory or acceptance and this is one way of getting it.

We have that many pictures from space of the earth and videos from the IIS and the shadows on the moon, views of our own horizon etc etc

If they are in fact that moronic, then they wont have enough IQ to understand a rational argument anyway.

So this leaves us with the majority of flat earthers who are going along with this for another reason entirely - friendship, antisocial/rejective behavior, Youtube hits for income and 'kudos" (why would I be sceptical that money and ego might be involved) . . .

The only question remains is what is that reason and that can be best answered by who cares !

The best response is no response
Maybe laugh in such a way as to let them know you compeletely understand that they arent really serious and that you arent going to bite !

To quote Mark Twain
Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference
Old 15-01-2018, 06:15 PM
billdan (Bill)

To quote Mark Twain
Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference

Or

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with more experience.
Old 15-01-2018, 07:38 PM
doppler (Rick)

Quote:

But flat earth folk are but the tip of the ice berg as we say.

Think of the various fundamental religious positions, add all those who believe in astrology, add voo doo, witch craft, souls, previous life, after life, ghosts, ufo as in alien visitations, genuine politicians, alternative health stuff, and that 100% employement is possible or even a genuine goal in any economy.
Is there even anything we can call normal.
Alex
The orignal poll was about pseudoscientific theory, flat earth is a good one to laugh at but when you dig into scientific theory from a laymans point of view what is considered real is pretty weird stuff. Take for example the fact that we consist of mostly just energy, what we perceive as being solid is an illusion and everything we think of as being something in this incredible, vast Universe – is almost entirely, 99.9999999 percent empty space.

https://www.sciencealert.com/99-9999...is-empty-space
Old 15-01-2018, 08:16 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

A word of caution.
Science provides models that enable predictions which may or may not reflect reality and certainly make no claim about "truth".
I would argue from strictly a lay mans point of view, handy as I dont present a theory or hypothisis but merely speculation ...that there is no place where we find nothing.
If there is nothing there must be something.
Consider this.
Go to the center of one of the many voids in the universe what will you find?
I suggest thru any point there are or is an infinite number of trajectories. And so it will be for any point you can find anywhere in the universe...
But take one point and think how many particles or packets of energy rush along that tradjectory in both directions...just visable light for example but there is so much more than that...if you think about it for a while you will wonder how everything fits even in nothing.
When under the stars next think about what I have suggested and just how much is actually everywhere and if you can find a spot where you think there is nothing may I suggest look harder.
I like to think of tradjectories by imagining a giant sphere say ten billion light years diameter and sticking thin rods thru so the surface of our sphere is packed with rods that are ineffect tradjectories.the rods go from one side to the other so think how busy it may be at a single point..they all scribe the path of particles travelling from one side of the universe to the other...and that sphere actually works out to about 95 billion light years ( our observable universe)..
At any point although at first you will think there is nothing you will find that indeed a small part of every part of the universe passes thru in both directions.

So I say what is imagined as nothing simply does not exist.
That should get you thinking.
Alex