Old 18-03-2013, 08:52 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Vixen Polarie tripod question

All,

I'm just about to pull the trigger on the Vixen Polarie Starter Road pack which contains the Polarie, tripod with boom, ball heads and a case. I'll also be getting the polar scope.

My question is, is the Velbon tripod that comes with it any good? I've never had any experience with Velbon tripods/gear. I've always ever owned Manfrotto equipment.

Anyone with experience with carrying a 5D Mark III with associated wide-angle lens on the Velbon tripod have any suggestions?

Cheers!

H
Old 18-03-2013, 08:59 AM
h0ughy (David)

just do it - and get this as well http://www.astroshop.com.au/products...p?id=MAS-022A2
Old 18-03-2013, 09:36 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Thanks, David -- order being placed at lunch time.

H
Old 18-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

All done. Wee!

H
Old 19-03-2013, 06:09 PM
gregbradley

You'll have a lot of fun!

I use a small pair of pliers to make sure the tightening screws are very tight for my D800E and 14-24 which is very heavy. I have come out in the morning to see my camera dangling at odd angles because it unscrewed itself when it hit a certain angle. I also had to use an adapter for the screw that goes into the base of my ballhead. It had a rubber washer on it which was preventing getting a fully tight connection. I removed it and tighten it very hard to the ballhead mount to prevent it unscrewing itself.

Getting the Vixen recommended tripod may solve some of that. My Manfrotto units all have larger threaded holes than the 1/4 inch screw on the Polarie.

I use rechargeable Energizer batteries and they last for about 4 hours perhaps 5. You can get a usb battery pack (ebay for under $30). I got one somewhere and may have to use it again as I want to be able to do 6hour time lapses (D800E grip with D4 battery gives virtually unlimited power whereas standard D800E battery no grip lasts maybe 4 hours, I imagine 5D3 may be similar). I got a nice DSTE grip off ebay which also has an infrared controller as well. It with the battery cost about $68. Money well spent and its really well made. The Nikon factory grip costs a three hundred dollars or something stupid.

I look forward to seeing your images using it. You should expect to have a lot of fun! Its also very engaging with the outdoor night sky - more so than CCD imaging which is mainly in front of a laptop.

Greg.
Old 19-03-2013, 06:52 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

You'll enjoy it

But surely you have existing tripods why did you feel it necessary to buy the Velbon?

Just curious
Old 19-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Greg,

Cheers for the advice. I have the stock 5D Mark III grip, which was $350 or so. I honestly do not mind spending money on authentic/stock accessories. Some might consider it a waste of money, for me, it's peace of mind. Considering how much money I've spent on all my gear, $350 is a pittance.

Narayan,

I have 3 Manfrotto tripods with geared heads. One of them is a travel tripod, one stays in the car, and, the other in the studio. I bought the whole bundle in one go because it's all part of the pack. I didn't want to end up in a situation where I was getting bits later on. I had the money, and, thought, why not?

H
Old 19-03-2013, 10:45 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

You can pick up the USB battery power packs for $3 on ebay. I have 2 and they work a treat.
Old 20-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Linky please, jjJJjjJ?

H
Old 20-03-2013, 02:19 PM
gregbradley

Is it one of these JJJ?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4800mAh-U...item5d3a910976

Greg.
Old 20-03-2013, 02:57 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Still trying to work out which online store I bought them from.
But they run off 4 AA batteries. I bought them for the Polarie but can see I'll get good use out of them while travelling to keep the iPhone charged up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (front.jpg)
174.5 KB38 views
Click for full-size image (back.jpg)
142.5 KB28 views
Old 20-03-2013, 03:03 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Here's one I found that takes 2 AA's.
Handy to be able to slip into your pocket if you're imaging in a remote location.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AA-Batter...#ht_4755wt_902

This one is more high end and the batteries are built in.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10000mAh-...#ht_3927wt_891

But I would still want one that I could just slip fresh batteries in if needed.
Old 20-03-2013, 03:48 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

If you need instant gratification H (assuming there's a store nearby), Jaycar have had these for years.
Cat# MP3083, $6.95 ea
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MP3083
Old 20-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Thanks so much, guys.

I just checked Australia Post tracking site, and, it's made its way from Hervey Bay to Chullora. Should be here tomorrow. I'll have to make the trek home at lunch time to pick it up.

Now, to order a Canon 14mm lens...

H
Old 21-03-2013, 07:31 AM
gregbradley

2 x energizer AA batteries, I think they are 2200mah, last around 4 perhaps 5 hours. So if you were doing a time lapse then that is at the border of what is needed (say a 5-6 hour time lapse period). I also saw my Polarie power light started to flash on and off when using it recently after a several hours. This meant the battery was getting low and I was starting to see trailed stars whereas just earlier they were round.

A bit of stick on velcro on the back of a battery pack and on the leg of the tripod would be useful so an external battery pack doesn't dangle off the Polarie.

I am going to use this little 4800mah battery for $2.99 and a usb charger I have. Power plugs into the Polarie via a usb plug. I think its a micro usb plug.

Greg.
Old 21-03-2013, 02:17 PM
Lester

Hi Humayun, just found this thread. I have the Velbon VS-443D tripod which looks the same as the one you are getting. I wouldn't use it fully extended in any wind. It is really good for getting low to the ground and with the legs spread is very stable. A good carry tripod. All the best.
Old 21-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Thanks, mate. It turned up today.

As usual, it's cloudy and raining, haha. And, here I was hoping to take it out into the backyard tonight. Fat chance!

The tripod seems OK for what it is. And, I agree, with the legs completely retracted, it might make a lightweight travel tripod.

The only thing I'm a bit baffled with is the polar scope is somewhat hard to remove once installed. I'm just hoping this will change with use -- it just needs wearing in. Otherwise, I've figured out the dials and everything else.

Can't wait to shoot with it!

H
Old 21-03-2013, 04:45 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Putting batteries in your mount then plugging in an external power pack will keep you going all night. I seem to remember that it will use the internal batteries first, then start to draw from the external supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
2 x energizer AA batteries, I think they are 2200mah, last around 4 perhaps 5 hours. So if you were doing a time lapse then that is at the border of what is needed (say a 5-6 hour time lapse period). I also saw my Polarie power light started to flash on and off when using it recently after a several hours. This meant the battery was getting low and I was starting to see trailed stars whereas just earlier they were round.

A bit of stick on velcro on the back of a battery pack and on the leg of the tripod would be useful so an external battery pack doesn't dangle off the Polarie.

I am going to use this little 4800mah battery for $2.99 and a usb charger I have. Power plugs into the Polarie via a usb plug. I think its a micro usb plug.

Greg.