#1  
Old 15-09-2015, 04:53 PM
Craige's Avatar
Craige
Registered User

Craige is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Northern NSW
Posts: 131
Light Pollution Filter for DSLR imaging.

Can anyone recommend a good light pollution filter for imaging with an unmodded DSLR (Canon 1100d).

Thanks for your help.

Craige
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16-09-2015, 04:39 AM
kon1966 (Kon)
Registered User

kon1966 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Villawood
Posts: 202
Filter

Hi Craige,
would recommend Astronomic CLS or the Astronomic CLS ccd.
The first is light pollution filter only and the second is light pollution plus IR cut filter as well.

You remove your eos lens and is inserted inside the camera.

http://www.bintel.com.au/Astrophotog...1/catmenu.aspx

http://www.astronomik.com/en/clip-filter-system.html

Regards
Kon
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 16-09-2015, 06:16 AM
leon's Avatar
leon
Registered User

leon is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: ballarat
Posts: 10,812
Hi Graige, if you have a look at this site you will find all you need, the light pollution filters are just about the best you can get, a little pricey but well worth the money as they really work in heavy polluted areas.

http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/filters.htm

I have used these filters personally.

Leon
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 16-09-2015, 04:31 PM
Craige's Avatar
Craige
Registered User

Craige is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Northern NSW
Posts: 131
Thanks Kon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kon1966 View Post
Hi Craige,
would recommend Astronomic CLS or the Astronomic CLS ccd.
The first is light pollution filter only and the second is light pollution plus IR cut filter as well.

You remove your eos lens and is inserted inside the camera.

http://www.bintel.com.au/Astrophotog...1/catmenu.aspx

http://www.astronomik.com/en/clip-filter-system.html

Regards
Kon
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 16-09-2015, 04:37 PM
Craige's Avatar
Craige
Registered User

Craige is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Northern NSW
Posts: 131
Thanks Leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Hi Graige, if you have a look at this site you will find all you need, the light pollution filters are just about the best you can get, a little pricey but well worth the money as they really work in heavy polluted areas.

http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/filters.htm

I have used these filters personally.

Leon
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 17-09-2015, 07:46 PM
g__day's Avatar
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

g__day is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,564
I second the Hutech IDAS - as it preserves colour fidelity of the light that is allowed through; I don't believe the others do this so well!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18-09-2015, 07:58 PM
LightningNZ's Avatar
LightningNZ (Cam)
Registered User

LightningNZ is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Canberra
Posts: 952
I bought the IDAS because I wanted to preserve blue reflection nebulae, the CLS gives them a bit of a hammering. The CLS does a much better job under heavy light pollution though. That's the main trade-off, but my rig is portable so I can take advantage of darker skies.

Hope that helps,
Cam
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 18-09-2015, 09:01 PM
alistairsam's Avatar
alistairsam
Registered User

alistairsam is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Box Hill North, Vic
Posts: 1,815
I'll vouch for the IDAS as well. very effective and barely any shift.
http://lightvortexastronomy.blogspot...d-weather.html
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotopholio/8711081536
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 19-09-2015, 05:35 PM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 15,441
Anyone using this Hutech IDAS filter on a CCD camera? Are they worth it?

Is it an alternative to a luminance filter? Or do you add it in addition to the other LRGB filters? In which case how do you mount it?

Greg.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 19-09-2015, 07:04 PM
alistairsam's Avatar
alistairsam
Registered User

alistairsam is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Box Hill North, Vic
Posts: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Anyone using this Hutech IDAS filter on a CCD camera? Are they worth it?

Is it an alternative to a luminance filter? Or do you add it in addition to the other LRGB filters? In which case how do you mount it?

Greg.
hi Greg


I use the idas lps p2 unmounted 36mm filter in my filter wheel instead of the Lum and it's brilliant
cam is the stf8300 mono

cheers
Alistair
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 19-09-2015, 08:37 PM
rat156's Avatar
rat156
Registered User

rat156 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Anyone using this Hutech IDAS filter on a CCD camera? Are they worth it?

Is it an alternative to a luminance filter? Or do you add it in addition to the other LRGB filters? In which case how do you mount it?

Greg.
Hi Greg,

Mine is taped to the end of the corrector for the ASA scope. There's no threads at the end of the corrector, but it's a good fit, the tape does the job.

Cheers
Stuart
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IDAS.jpg)
174.6 KB23 views
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 20-09-2015, 08:44 PM
Craige's Avatar
Craige
Registered User

Craige is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Northern NSW
Posts: 131
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Cheers Craige
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 07:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
OzScopes Authorised Dealer
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
Celestron Australia
Advertisement
SkyWatcher Australia
Advertisement
Meade Australia
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement