Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 29-04-2014, 04:37 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Dual ISO single shot images for Canon EOS using Magic Lantern

Not sure if you guys are aware of Magic Lantern. From their website:
Quote:
Magic Lantern is a free software add-on that runs from the SD/CF card and adds a host of new features to Canon EOS cameras that weren't included from the factory by Canon.
I've been running it on my 5DII for some time now, but haven't updated it for a while. I stumbled across a new feature of the latest update, and thought some of you guys might be interested. I haven't tested this yet for nightscapes, but have done some testing for indoor shots (dark) with sunlight coming in windows etc (bright) and it works a treat.

The new feature is a dual ISO capability. Basically you set 2 ISOs, and each image is taken with half the sensor at one ISO, and the rest at the other ISO (I believe it's 2 pixel rows alternating so the whole RGGB blocks are captured in the one ISO). You then use some software to take that raw image and convert it to a usable DNG file for further processing.

Set the camera ISO at 100, and the ML dual ISO feature set to ISO 800 or 1600 say. The image will come out looking dark like the ISO 100, but after conversion, you can stretch the darks in the image much more than normal without the noise getting stretched. Hard to explain. Check out the images in links below for examples.

The attached image is taken from the ML forum post linked below. The top right on the image is using the dual ISO feature at ISO 100/1600, the bottom left is using just ISO 100. You can see the noise reduction.

There is a tradeoff, however. Half resolution in highlights and shadows, and aliasing and moire in highlights and shadows. Still... impressive.

More here:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/ind...59687#msg59687
and here:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/....php?t=1333150
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Clipboard01.jpg)
82.5 KB56 views