Old 03-02-2013, 12:33 PM
allan gould

ASI120MM as a guider

There has been a bit of speculation of the use of the new ASI120MM cameras as a guider and so I thought that I would give others some idea of its potential.
I used a 72mm guidescope and was taking 10 minute exposures of NGC2070 and took a few screen grabs while guiding was in progress.
The first image is of the whole screen of the capture program (Sequence Generator Pro) with the PhDGuiding graph presented in the top right while the next is a close up of a small star cluster to demonstrate the roundness of the stars produced. The last image is a HFR analysis of the stars in the image that the capture program (Sequence Generator Pro) uses to do automatic focusing etc.
From the results presented it can be seen that the guider works very well and makes it a dual purpose camera for taking planetary images as well as a good guider. The guide screen is very clear and since dark frame subtraction is possible, very clean.
Hope this is of interst to others.
Allan
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1.jpg)
120.1 KB192 views
Click for full-size image (2.jpg)
118.4 KB155 views
Click for full-size image (3.jpg)
133.3 KB151 views
Old 03-02-2013, 03:51 PM
DJT (David)

Thanks Allan

Thats good to know
Old 03-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

Nice work Allan, that's some very clean images considering it's uncooled and it's a 600sec image. Very impressive.

What are your thoughts of it as an OAG? I've been toying up between the Lodestar and the MT9M034-based CCDs as an OAG for my RC8. You mentioned you have a lodestar and that the ASI120MM is just as good? Have you or anyone else here for that matter, tried using it as an OAG?
Old 03-02-2013, 08:47 PM
allan gould

I've tried both the Lodestar and ASI112MM as an OAG on my QSI583WSG ie as an OAG. Both gave identical results as far as I could determine. Just my experience but I prefer using a separate guidescope on my 10" SCT or GSO RC - which Just proves I swim against the tide and run with scissors.
Allan
Old 03-02-2013, 08:58 PM
technofetishism (Nick)

ah good to know, i was looking at one of these for a guidecam so its good to know it works.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:13 PM
h0ughy (David)

great effort there showing the potential Allan. PS where did you get the clear skies from?
Old 03-02-2013, 09:26 PM
allan gould

Last night was clear for about 2 hours so I managed to get some time in and tonight was full of scudding clouds but Peter_4059 and I managed to get the ASI120MM working on his small 50mm Borg guide scope and tracking/guiding well, so thAt was another feather in its cap. Easy to adjust the capture settings in PhDGuiding and set it going.
As far as getting a clear sky - unlike some I could mention, I havnt bought anything recently.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:46 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan gould View Post
Last night was clear for about 2 hours so I managed to get some time in and tonight was full of scudding clouds but Peter_4059 and I managed to get the ASI120MM working on his small 50mm Borg guide scope and tracking/guiding well, so thAt was another feather in its cap. Easy to adjust the capture settings in PhDGuiding and set it going.
As far as getting a clear sky - unlike some I could mention, I havnt bought anything recently.
lol I only have the cam same as you
Old 03-02-2013, 10:32 PM
allan gould

You mean you didn't pack it in the truck?
I really want to see some images from that 8" Meade ACF you won as first prize at the QAF...............or did it get washed away?
Old 04-02-2013, 12:03 PM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

Haha Allan! Wow that's good to hear, half price and similar performance. Out of curiosity how come you chose the ASI over a QHY5L-II?