Old 16-05-2020, 06:47 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Excellent Evan!

That is a very capable instrument

My first "real" scope was a 5" SCT. It showed me not only the Cassini Division in Saturn's rings for the first time, but also the Martian polar ice caps and angle's-breath-like clouds on Mars (an 80A filter helps), and the Great Red Spot on Jupiter (an 80A also helps). It is also able to show a shadow transit on Jupiter

And no slouch with DSO's, Omega Cent. resolved, Eta Carina (ramp up the magnification on the Homunculus Neb - it's the bipolar neb that surrounds the star Eta Carina itself), M20 & M8. From a dark site Centaurus A, M104, even Markarian's Chain is worth a shot!

Heck, from home even have a crack at some of the brighter planetary nebulae - Ghost of Jupiter, Saturn Nebula, Blue Planetary and a bunch of others. A 12mm to 14mm eyepiece is a good focal length with that scope for these and globular clusters. The exit pupil it provides is a good contrast sweet spot with that scope

Alex.
Old 18-05-2020, 03:39 PM
ecsaow (Evan)

Agreed, its my first "real" scope now. My next adventure is looking for some DSOs, have just been reveling in the planets and Moon. I feel like I saw Saturn and Jupiter for the first time with this little scope. Thanks for the reminder I forgot about my Blue filter the other night, was just so excited with what I was seeing. I have a 13mm SW UW70 ep thats been helping things along. Its just such a heavy bugger, think will be upgrading my mount pretty soon.

Cheers
Evan