Old 07-07-2018, 03:21 PM
CaroleH (Carole)

Telescope advice for newbies

Hi, a friend in UK - new to astronomy - is looking to buy a National Geographic 60/700 AZ Refractor telescope. About 80 pounds sterling.
Any advice re this? It seems to get quite good reviews online. Thanks for advice! : }
Old 07-07-2018, 03:44 PM
Wavytone

I'd say don't, because it will probably be used half a dozen times then be left to gather dust in a cupboard.

Better to join a local astro society near you - plenty in the UK - and visit some of their open nights and use someone else (bigger) telescope and they'll be happy operate it for you.

If they or their kids get more interested only then buy a more useful scope than this, and a society is useful in this respect as there's a good chance for finding nice secondhand gear that suits at a bargain price compared to new.

Or buy a pair of 7x50 binoculars instead, they're likely to get far more use.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:46 PM
CaroleH (Carole)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
I'd say don't, because it will probably be used half a dozen times then be left to gather dust in a cupboard.

Better to join a local astro society near you - plenty in the UK - and visit some of their open nights and use someone else (bigger) telescope and they'll be happy operate it for you.

If they or their kids get more interested only then buy a more useful scope than this, and a society is useful in this respect as there's a good chance for finding nice secondhand gear that suits at a bargain price compared to new.

Or buy a pair of 7x50 binoculars instead, they're likely to get far more use.
Thanks for this - exactly what I said to him - I have also recommended binocs - and emailed a link to local astro clubs (so many there!)
Cheers, : }
Old 07-07-2018, 05:56 PM
Wavytone

Hi Carole, BTW for many of the members here astronomy is a lifelong passion - self included, and in this context it makes sense.

But I'd say to any newbie be sure this really is for you, before leaping into buying gear, as it becomes an expensive hobby.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:30 AM
CaroleH (Carole)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Hi Carole, BTW for many of the members here astronomy is a lifelong passion - self included, and in this context it makes sense.

But I'd say to any newbie be sure this really is for you, before leaping into buying gear, as it becomes an expensive hobby.
Hi - yes agreed - on all counts haha!
On one hand it is exciting to see someone develop that passion - but much better to take it slowly & get good advice before jumping in & buying something that probably will not do what you expect it to do... !
Old 08-07-2018, 10:32 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleH View Post
Hi, a friend in UK - new to astronomy - is looking to buy a National Geographic 60/700 AZ Refractor telescope. About 80 pounds sterling.
Any advice re this? It seems to get quite good reviews online. Thanks for advice! : }
Hi Carole,
While I basically agree with Wavy, I have read the reviews of people who have bought this scope,(as a beginners scope) and they are not all that bad. Here

It is going to provide good views of the moon, maybe some of the bigger DSO's like Orion nebula. But will probably struggle after that.

The eyepieces (4/12.5/20 mm), are probably only just OK (maybe not the 4).
The Barlow Lens (3x), will probably not be a pleasant experience.
But the erecting lens should make the scope usable for terrestrial viewing.

But I don't like EQ mounts for beginners, and they are painful for terrestrial use.
As a cheap intro scope, it is what it is. A good toy, not a serious instrument.
But if they decide to progress with the hobby, they will need to upgrade soon.

My first scope (which was a suck and see test for me) was a no name 6 inch (150mm) Newtonian reflector on EQ mount. It cost me $100 (Aus) and provided the inspiration I needed to get further in the hobby (read: spend more on a bigger scope). But it provided a WOW view of Saturns rings. That's my story anyway.

Personally, I don't like recommending binos for beginners. They can be frustrating to use, and hard to hold steady enough to view much detail.
But that's just me.
Old 16-07-2018, 03:12 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

I can recommend the Orion 100mm tabletop dobsonian. Its a surprisingly good scope for a cheap small boring looking telescope. Its eyepieces are 10mm and 25mm and are very good for included eyepieces (often the real weak point in the optical train of beginner scopes). Being a small scope its dead easy to take on a trip or get outside when the interest bites or to show off the sky to friends and children at short notice. As I mostly do astrophotography its a scope I continue to use just to look around the sky while my other gear is busy capturing images. So it doesn't go to waste and good for sharing with others when you have a more elaborate setup and people queing to look through the eyepiece.

Getting into the hobby a poor initial purchase can disappoint and discourage continuing, so typically those cheap scope especially shop rebranded ones offer poor and uncomfortable viewing and use but look impressive sitting in the corner of the room where they usually stay because they are useless for actual viewing. A small dobsonian from a telescope store rather than department store, will give good views and a solid starting point to progress and learn. Binoculars are also great but bewar about size and being refraction optics chromatic aberation and eye relief not to mention weight all contribute to practicality and continued interest. Do not buy cheap chinese ones from sunday markets, buy brand name optics. I use Pentax mostly, recently bought some 8x20 ish ones which are awesome. Took me time to research for a friend and this model was a sweet spot I thought would be good for astro and they are, compact too and fantastic terrestrial binos and i bought a pair for myself too (Pentax UP 8x 25 i think) and they are better than my similar spec Leica binos. Look for specs with long eye relief and higher relative brightness. Magnification I dont think is very important especially starting out. the more you magnify the steadier you have to hold the binos which can be frustrating.
Old 19-07-2018, 05:30 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

I often suggest that people turn the question around.

Rather than asking is this scope is a good deal for XX price, turn that into, what would be a good scope for XX budget. Now the experienced can make recommendations rather than evaluate that one scope.