Old 22-05-2009, 09:04 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Using DSLR Shutter

I am using a canon 400D and being a lazy little sod I thought a program that would control the shutter remotely for shots over 30s would be a great idea. I have downloaded DSLR Shutter from Stark Labs which it would seem would fit the bill but it is asking for something known as a DSUSB. What is this mysterious device where can I get one?
Any help would be gratefully appreciated
Old 23-05-2009, 08:15 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

This answers your questions:

http://www.store.shoestringastronomy...roducts_ds.htm

Dave
Old 23-05-2009, 11:23 AM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Cheers Dave. Can these be bought in Oz?

Malcolm
Old 23-05-2009, 12:19 PM
mat,v
luv'n life

Re,gpusb

I think Bintel may have these items,,Google their website,,,Good luck,,MAT
Old 23-05-2009, 12:36 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

I'm not entirely sure Malcolm, I simply googled what the term DSUSB meant and picked the first entry ;-) I have no idea really what it is, I just skimmed the page and felt it was an appropriate link to give you in order to help you out! I'm sure other more knowledgeable and experienced guys on here will answer your question though!

Dave
Old 23-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Malcolm,

Yeah, Bintel usually stocks these items.

I've got the GPUSB which is used for guiding my G-11. I bought mine directly from Shoestring Astronomy, at the time, because I wasn't sure if Bintel had them back when I got it.

Unfortunately, they seem awfully expensive for what they are. They do a good job, though.

I used to use the good old DSLR Focus, with a home built serial cable, which, unfortunately doesn't have support for the "newer" Canon DSLR's such as the 40D and onwards. I downloaded DSLR Shutter but then realised that it won't support the direct USB data/instruction cable, so, again, you're stuck with 30 second exposures. I realised then, that I'd either have to purchase the DSUSB or purchase Craig Stark's other program, Nebulosity.

So, I fork out the $81 for the software only to realise that it doesn't save files in the *.CR2 RAW format; it converts them to *.FITS files. Which is fine if you are going to use Nebulosity to process your images, but, useless if you use IRIS for all your astrophotographic processing. I use IRIS and am a bit miffed about what seems like a waste of money!

But, I then realised the Remote Shooting feature in the Canon EOS Utility will allow me to do long exposures through the single cable. In the older versions of the software, that came with the 300D and 350D, for example, didn't support exposures longer than 30 seconds, if my memory serves me correctly. Unfortunately, the software still doesn't support mirror lockup, but, at least it saves in the native format!

So, before you go and spend the money on the DSUSB, think about giving the Canon EOS Utility a go. I really liked the idea of Nebulosity being able to interact with PHD Guiding, and therefore enabled the ability to dither your guidestar between exposures facilitating in nicer images, but, sacrificing the native RAW format was not an option.

Regards,
Humayun
Old 23-05-2009, 05:14 PM
gjelke (Greg)

Eclipse Orchestrator

Hi,
I know it is for photographing eclipse's bit but the requirement is still the same. I have see this software in use but have not had the opportunity to use it yet. It needs some editing of a configuration file that tells the software what phonographs to take and with which settings.

Cheers

Greg
Old 24-05-2009, 11:29 AM
SMR (Steve)
Steve Russell

Hi Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjelke View Post
Hi,
I know it is for photographing eclipse's bit but the requirement is still the same. I have see this software in use but have not had the opportunity to use it yet. It needs some editing of a configuration file that tells the software what phonographs to take and with which settings.

Cheers

Greg
Actually, the requirements are very different. EO's scripts are tied to the time of events during a solar eclipse: second contact - 2 seconds, for example. Eclipse exposure times are short -- I'm not sure EO supports >30 seconds. It doesn't work with the most recent Canon cameras (450D, for example). Etc, etc.

I would use a piece of software designed for taking long exposure sequences. That's not EO.

Steve.
Old 29-05-2009, 07:34 AM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

As Octane suggested, hook you camera up to the laptop via USB and open the remote shooting window. There you can select the amount of shots you want to take and the duration of the shots as well as the delay between shots. So if you want to take 1min subs and you are using the dslr built in noise reduction you can set each shot to be taken at intervals of 1min and 1sec to allow for the darks to be taken by the camera, it works a treat.
You can also by a remote off ebay if you dont want use the laptop, I got one for $60, it will do the same thing but without the need for a laptop.

Be careful with
Old 01-06-2009, 01:28 PM
scarper (Mart)
Aimlessly Reflecting

what version of remote shooting are u using white rabbit as the newer version doesnt have that capabilty ....well if it does I cant find it.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:08 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

I found that this function is disabled if you have mirror loclup enabled but returns when it is disabled. That is with a 1000D. Can't speak for other models.
Peter
Old 03-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Peter is correct, you need to disable mirror lockup (unfortunately!)

Regards,
Humayun
Old 03-06-2009, 03:05 PM
scarper (Mart)
Aimlessly Reflecting

Cool I will try that when I get home