Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-05-2020, 05:45 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

NGC 6188; first light

Well this has been getting a pretty good hammering recently so I thought I'd throw mine out there too!
Recently bought a QHY183M to get back into narrowband imaging and I've long wanted to photograph this nebula so I figured it would be a good opportunity as it hits meridian around the middle of the night.

I've tried this in the past but when I was using my refractor the camera would hit the tripod for few hours on either side of meridian so I've always avoided it

It also seemed like a good chance to test out the DDM60 with longer unguided exposures so I've set out at 900s at 0.825"/pixel and not been disappointed. I don't have enough back focus with the RH200 to easily add in an OAG or anything.

My biggest trouble processing wise has been trying to decide on a colour balance. The First Version is technically accurate but it isn't one that I find quite as pleasing.

The Second Version I may have gone a little over board with the sharpening but I do find the colour balance a little nicer visually.

The nebulosity is a straight HOO but I've added in nicer stars which have a 50% contribution of Ha and OIII in the green channel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (HOOAB copy.jpg)
152.3 KB113 views
Old 20-05-2020, 06:33 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Nice one Colin, looks nice and sharp which is pretty amazing for 900s unguided at your scale... DDM60 is certainly not disappointing there!

I like the red one on Astrobin too.
Old 20-05-2020, 06:34 PM
gregbradley

Wonderfully 3D and super sharp. A superb image.

Welcome to the 183mm club. Its a great camera.

Greg.
Old 20-05-2020, 07:15 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
Nice one Colin, looks nice and sharp which is pretty amazing for 900s unguided at your scale... DDM60 is certainly not disappointing there!

I like the red one on Astrobin too.
Thanks Lee Prior to this the most I'd tested had been 300s at 0.4"/pixel and been happy with that so I figured I'd give it a go. It gets a little sketchy with tracking accuracy past meridian so it's fine as long as it doesn't go past it.

I've also attached the red version which colour wise is my favourite but there really isn't much in the way of OIII contribution which is a LOT stronger behind the dusty regions.

Red Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Wonderfully 3D and super sharp. A superb image.

Welcome to the 183mm club. Its a great camera.

Greg.
Thanks Greg, I was a little worried at first given that the stars aren't as small as I was hoping for (I shouldn't have been surprised really). At 900s the star burst is HUGE but it calibrates out very well. This was taken at the lowest gain (highest dynamic range) but even then it's only got 2e- read noise!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (First HOO LAB copy.jpg)
132.4 KB73 views
Old 20-05-2020, 07:39 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Super sharp. 900s unguided. Far out. What a tease... I can't do 1min.
Old 20-05-2020, 08:06 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

An amazing rendition.

Three super-good things:

- You've captured the OIII shock fronts around the central super-luminous cluster beautifully.
- The dust details are exceptional.
- Artistically, it looks like we are seeing an enormous cavern, lit from within, sculpted out of very dark rock.

The 900 seconds unguided is quite an achievement.

Bravo!
Old 20-05-2020, 08:21 PM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

Wow! 900sec unguided! Very impressive and so is the result! A very pleasing and tidy image Colin.
Old 20-05-2020, 09:16 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

One of, if not your best, image Col ...you have finally mastered stars processing Incredible detail in both images but on close (full size) inspection No2 breaks down pretty badly, so I give it to No1 Excellent resolution of structures (as opposed to artefact driven pseudo detail) but without significant artefacts, wins over colour palette any day in my book, top result

I and Marcus Davies are wrapped with my average guide errors of +/- 0.2 arc sec with autoguiding ...but 900 sec unguided with such resulting sharpness, is, well, truly unbelievable mate, super duper...great stuff

Mike
Old 21-05-2020, 12:30 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Super sharp. 900s unguided. Far out. What a tease... I can't do 1min.
Your stars always look great out of your M210 so whatever you're doing it's working well anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
An amazing rendition.

Three super-good things:

- You've captured the OIII shock fronts around the central super-luminous cluster beautifully.
- The dust details are exceptional.
- Artistically, it looks like we are seeing an enormous cavern, lit from within, sculpted out of very dark rock.

The 900 seconds unguided is quite an achievement.

Bravo!
Thanks M&T, it's still nothing like your 1 hour subs! That is an achievement unto its own
It really is one of those regions that just pops out in narrowband. Some HOO or SHO regions can look like bland but most renditions of this area do have a great look and feel to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4darkskies View Post
Wow! 900sec unguided! Very impressive and so is the result! A very pleasing and tidy image Colin.
Thanks Marcus, I could probably push it further than 900s but I've reached the point where my background regions are 10x read noise in OIII and about 8x in Ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
One of, if not your best, image Col ...you have finally mastered stars processing Incredible detail in both images but on close (full size) inspection No2 breaks down pretty badly, so I give it to No1 Excellent resolution of structures (as opposed to artefact driven pseudo detail) but without significant artefacts, wins over colour palette any day in my book, top result

I and Marcus Davies are wrapped with my average guide errors of +/- 0.2 arc sec with autoguiding ...but 900 sec unguided with such resulting sharpness, is, well, truly unbelievable mate, super duper...great stuff

Mike
Thanks Mike, I do completely agree with you Re #2. Processing was moving from PI into Lightroom where I did a colour balance change and moved some sliders. Then saved it and sent it to my iPhone where I used Lightroom on there to then move some sliders around again

FYI, I've done some pretty extreme deconvolution

The mount really does all the work, it is a bit fiddly to setup and it would be SO much nicer with a permanent one but that's for a future endeavour.
Old 21-05-2020, 08:58 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Hey Col, that's impressive stuff with big impact!

IMO - I prefer the red one aesthetically, the big stars have not been blown out as much as they have on the other ones.

The over sharpening is interesting and dramatic, but to paraphrase Strongman Mike - "Gaseous structures, probably should'nt have too hard an edge". So is the Ara wall gas, dust or both? Hmmmm

If anyone knows the answer, it's probably you though!

(Sigh) I dream of round stars like yours - still havn't sorted out my issues....
Old 22-05-2020, 09:24 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Hey Col, that's impressive stuff with big impact!

IMO - I prefer the red one aesthetically, the big stars have not been blown out as much as they have on the other ones.

The over sharpening is interesting and dramatic, but to paraphrase Strongman Mike - "Gaseous structures, probably should'nt have too hard an edge". So is the Ara wall gas, dust or both? Hmmmm

If anyone knows the answer, it's probably you though!

(Sigh) I dream of round stars like yours - still havn't sorted out my issues....
Thanks Andy, I definitely prefer the red one visually as well but from a technical standpoint, the colour is wrong
It was a 5-10 minute process end to end. Most of the detail in that version comes from removing the L component from the other version and then putting it into the red one.

It is right that there are no hard edges with dust and space... but... it’s all a matter of distance. Take Bok globules, they often appear to have a sharp edge between the dark dusty globule and their background but it really is a gradual transition but that isn’t visible at 8,000 light years away.

The same also happens with gas and this can be seen in the Pillars of Creation from Hubble. Some parts have hard high contrast edges while others are gradual and more diffuse.
Old 23-05-2020, 08:39 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Fantastic image Colin!
Old 23-05-2020, 08:55 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

The detail in this image is astounding, I like the first image batter as well
I aim to tackle this with my larger refractor when the guide camera arrives. Awesome work Colin
Old 25-05-2020, 09:11 AM
markas (Mark)

Resolution is really spectacular! DDMs rule

Mark
Old 25-05-2020, 10:13 AM
JA

Wonderful Images Colin I too prefer the colour on the second version from your original post.

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 25-05-2020 at 10:26 AM.
Old 25-05-2020, 10:51 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

A great result ..but some SII data would be the icing on the cake
Old 25-05-2020, 07:12 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Wonderful image! I like the first a bit better regardless of the colour. #2 seems a tad pushed... 900 sec unguided is quite a feat. Bravo.

Peter