Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2020, 12:16 AM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Really wierd error - no USB2 devices not being found whilst USB3 devices are

So I try to practice more imaging today,

Realise I must have banged a USB 3 cable - bummer - so I am down one of my three ZWO cameras (ASI071MC-c Pro) but I swap over the USB 3 data cable coming into my ASI0120MM-s and the 71MC is detected straight away so I think it will only take a day or two to order in a new 2m USB 3 cable so I will guide off my spare guide camera - a QHY5L-II.

But for the first time in ages it isn't detected? Then I notice my ZWO filter wheel connected to my ASI1600MM-c isn't detected, nor is one of two USB2 data keys in 2 different hubs, nor is my TemperHum Gold which always works.

I have 4 USB3 hubs (two dual Mbeat USB3 /2 hubs) and two by other brands. None of my USB2 astro cameras connected to USB2 or USB3 hubs work at the moment (USB device error under Windows 10 - device failed to set memory).

I haven't ever seen that error before - I tried moving devices around, trying different cables and different hubs and different external power supplies to the USB3 hubs. I tried uninstalling the 3-4 unrecognised devices and scanning for changed hardware. I tried re-downloading the latest drivers.

I scanned for hidden USB3 devices...

I can't figure what this weird error is. Yesterday all my gear was working perfectly. Astro lab PC didn't shutdown overnight, no warnings at all until tonight when I decided to keep imaging M83.

Any ideas folks? I will try my non detecting gear on a PC inside the house - unless 5 separate cables (4 USB 3 and 1 USB 2) failed, or 4 USB3 and 1 USB2 hubs failed only for USB2 devices I am at a loss for what just happened and how to simply fix it.

I wonder if a Windows USB2 stack got corrupted somehow and if this can be detected and restored - cause that's what seems to be the common denominator at the moment.

Many thanks,

Matthew

Last edited by g__day; 03-05-2020 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:04 PM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Update 2.0 - PC failed to boot after 10 minutes - MS Error DPC ... arggh!

Disconnected an old HD (third such in same PC) and re-connected my boot SSD from an add in card to direct into the motherboard - then the PC booted first thing.

Once the PC re-booted this way the majority of my USB2 hubs and devices reconnected (minus the two on the back of my astro cameras - one of which connects the filter wheel). The coin dropped it was the hubs on the back of my ASI1600MM-c and ASI071MC-0c Pro that had failed to initiate! But at least now I have a guide camera and a filter wheel back in action (once I swapped cables and connected it directly to a handy USB2 hub).

So I try and run Troubleshoot and long story short find this release of Windows 10 has removed access to USB / hardware trouble shooter... arrgh! Then I find from a Administrator CMD I can run "msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic" which brings back the troubleshooter, but it doesn't manage to fix the problem. Another day - more fun with Windows!

Last edited by g__day; 03-05-2020 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:24 PM
redbeard (Damien)

The good news with this issue you are having is it has been tracked down to a known virus.
The bad news is the virus is called Windows 10.

Couple of links may help.

https://www.techbout.com/usb-device-...ndows-10-6471/

https://theitbros.com/how-to-delete-com-ports-in-use/

Look for 'COM Name Arbiter Setter Tool' halfway down in above web page and download to clear USB ports.