Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 21-05-2020, 05:18 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

NGC6188 and 6193

Howdy,

I have never successfully shot this before and with the snatch and grab of data between the weather fronts, this is as good as it gets for the moment.

One in HaLRGB and one in only LRGB. My star processing skills are on the up although I still have a way to go with that.

I hope you enjoy the view.

HaLRGB

https://pbase.com/grahammeyer/image/170726499

LRGB

https://pbase.com/grahammeyer/image/170726498

CHeersand clears!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC6188_HaLRGB_Web.jpg)
57.1 KB79 views
Click for full-size image (NGC6188_LRGB_Web.jpg)
88.8 KB73 views
Old 21-05-2020, 05:43 PM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

Great stuff Graham. Nice to see a conventional treatment of this object showing so much detail.
I particularly like the HaLRGB version.

Last edited by Retrograde; 21-05-2020 at 10:08 PM.
Old 21-05-2020, 05:57 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Very nice. I personally prefer the LRGB the Ha blend has affected some of the reflection nebula and it is kinda novel to see the obscene number of stars scattered throughout this field
Old 21-05-2020, 08:20 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Well done! The HaLRGB has (somewhat to my surprise) captured the wonderful OIII shock fronts around the super-bright cluster, and even the individual stars in the cluster are more obvious, by virtue of not being burned out. The fainter features including dust lanes are handled with subtlety.

A lovely image.

Seeing both versions is educational - there are squillions of stars.

Do you perchance have an OIII filter?
Old 21-05-2020, 09:21 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Well done for getting an image down Graham, we have all been there...bloody weather . The HaLRGB certainly gives the impression of some extra detail but the blending is a bit off. The LRGB, however, is a very good mage, very natural and nebulous and, as you say, your stars look good. More of us should shoot this nebula in more natural palettes like this, it really is quite a lovely bit of sky in RGB type colouring. Here is a great example and yours isn't too far off this either Graham, top job

Mike
Old 22-05-2020, 09:38 AM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Well done for getting an image down Graham, we have all been there...bloody weather . The HaLRGB certainly gives the impression of some extra detail but the blending is a bit off. The LRGB, however, is a very good mage, very natural and nebulous and, as you say, your stars look good. More of us should shoot this nebula in more natural palettes like this, it really is quite a lovely bit of sky in RGB type colouring. Here is a great example and yours isn't too far off this either Graham, top job

Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for the feedback. I struggle with Ha blending, I don't really like the tools in PI and the results and I didn't have the will power to drag out Photoshop and try it in there.

I might give it another crack, then again, I'd rather wait for the weather to clear so I can do a full narrow band of this.

Thanks for your thoughts on the LRGB, it is the one that I like the most as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
Well done! The HaLRGB has (somewhat to my surprise) captured the wonderful OIII shock fronts around the super-bright cluster, and even the individual stars in the cluster are more obvious, by virtue of not being burned out. The fainter features including dust lanes are handled with subtlety.

A lovely image.

Seeing both versions is educational - there are squillions of stars.

Do you perchance have an OIII filter?

Hi M&T, nice of you to comment. The shock front is not as obvious in the stacked LRGB frames but it is there as well. I do have an OIII although I have only started using them again as I needed to work out the offsets for focusing which is now complete.

I think you are suggesting some inclusion of OIII or perhaps a bicolour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Very nice. I personally prefer the LRGB the Ha blend has affected some of the reflection nebula and it is kinda novel to see the obscene number of stars scattered throughout this field

Hi Atmos, I do agree about the reflection nebulosity, that will be my clumsy Ha blending.

I could not find a great number of LRGB images to go by although the ones I did find did also show a huge number of stars across the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post
Great stuff Graham. Nice to see a conventional treatment of this object showing so much detail.
I particularly like the HaLRGB version.

Cheers Retrograde, nice of you to stop by and have a look. I think the conventional one is my favourite also.
Old 22-05-2020, 10:02 AM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

Very nicely done Graham! The LRGB version in particular is compelling and looks pleasingly "natural".

Adding the Ha can be tricky but essentially it should add to the LRGB and not take anything away. EG: reflection components and smaller stars. You can use the Ha mixed with the luminance to reduce the larger stars though.
Old 22-05-2020, 02:33 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4darkskies View Post
Very nicely done Graham! The LRGB version in particular is compelling and looks pleasingly "natural".

Adding the Ha can be tricky but essentially it should add to the LRGB and not take anything away. EG: reflection components and smaller stars. You can use the Ha mixed with the luminance to reduce the larger stars though.

Thanks Marc, both for your kind comments and advice.
Old 23-05-2020, 08:28 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Very nice. The LRGB stands out for me too.
Old 23-05-2020, 01:05 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Hi Marc, yep, the LRGB is a definite winner.
Old 23-05-2020, 05:12 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Good work Graham. I agree with the comments on the LRGB version. Nicely detailed and shows the area superbly
Old 23-05-2020, 08:42 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Great work Graham
Old 25-05-2020, 08:53 AM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderscope View Post
Good work Graham. I agree with the comments on the LRGB version. Nicely detailed and shows the area superbly

Thanks, Ryderscope. The LRGB is definately the pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
Great work Graham

Cheers, Slawomir, nice of you to have a look.