Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 22-05-2020, 08:15 PM
Allan

South Pacific Star Party 2020

Seems the virus actually did us a favour with the cancellation of SPSP this year. Would have been another bust, with lots of cold, cloud and wet.

I truly hope SPSP 2021 is scheduled in for April so we can get away from the disaster it has been by running it in May. I had a good discussion with the organisers last year, and they were going to hold it in April this year, but it clashed with Anzac Day. No such problem in 2021, so I’m hoping for a positive outcome.
Old 23-05-2020, 07:38 AM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Yes Allan, I would have been annoyed and miserable that the weather was not co-operating yet again at Ilford. In the early days of the SPSP the organisers had supposedly looked at historic weather records which showed May as the best time to hold the party. Perhaps it is like bad weather at sea (or in the air) you tend to remember the shockingly bad days, rather than all the good ones.
In the late 90's the date was moved to March. Too hot and daylight saving were the reasons I did not like that date. Why they have never held the SPSP in April, I do not know. It seems an excellent compromise, so I hope the committee is reading this.
Old 23-05-2020, 08:22 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

The SPSP is also a social gathering. If it's clear it's a bonus. If you want clear skies there are plenty out there, different places and different times.