Old 20-05-2020, 11:09 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Stuff

I am overwhelmed.

There is too much stuff in my life.

I have all my Dad's stuff to manage on top of mine..I feel like just getting a truck and taking it all to the tip..but you can't it's worth so much money but in truth I am at the stage where I could drop fifty grand just to have a clear head.

Do you have too much stuff?

It's all so good but just cleaning stuff is driving me crazy.

Once I had it perfect..In the bush..one plate, one pot, knife fork and spoon three track suits and all my time I spent on astronomy...the freedom ..should I say hang it, forget the cash and just get back to a minimal life style...

Does stuff get to you?

What do you do?

Throw it out or hang on until the pickers call?
Oh for the simple life again.

Alex
Old 20-05-2020, 12:12 PM
gary

You had a knife and fork? Luxury. I remember when we lived in the bush
we ate with our bare hands ...

https://youtu.be/VKHFZBUTA4k
Old 20-05-2020, 12:16 PM
drylander (Peter)

We were lucky and even had gravel for blankets. A knife and fork wow too rich for me.
Old 20-05-2020, 01:37 PM
leee (Thomas)

Re- Stuff

The "Simple" life - I am afraid eludes us , in a direct proportion to age. The longer we are alive, the more we consume - the more the "simple" life is lost. Covered up, lost and consumed with our increasing accumulation of STUFF. Ah - but there is hope, Alex --- Die, and the kids will call in Goodwill, or the Junk Man. OR become aware - enlightened - and start giving it to Friends. Who are of course younger - and sit back and enjoy watching them too - become entangled with all that Stuff.
Old 20-05-2020, 02:08 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Maybe your stuff......

https://youtu.be/MvgN5gCuLac
Old 20-05-2020, 02:47 PM
leon

Alex we travel around Australia, stopping here and there to do house/farm sits, been doing it for years and love it. We have bugger all in the van and it is still to much.

We also have a container on my sisters land full of stuff that has not seen the light of day for years, and we get on fine without it, we just don't need it, but we keep it.

Most people just have stuff and it sits around for ever until one day you die and the kids throw it out anyway.

Someone said to me on day, just keep it simple and things will work out fine and also if you have nothing you have nothing to lose true words i reckon.

Leon
Old 20-05-2020, 05:36 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
Maybe your stuff......

https://youtu.be/MvgN5gCuLac
I love that one...all of them in fact...he is one person I can really relate to..Irish I guess.

I have decided to clear the land where I have had the trees cut down and put everything in there in shipping containers.. Leon gave me the idea.

Alex
Old 20-05-2020, 05:51 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Alex we travel around Australia, stopping here and there to do house/farm sits, been doing it for years and love it. We have bugger all in the van and it is still to much.

We also have a container on my sisters land full of stuff that has not seen the light of day for years, and we get on fine without it, we just don't need it, but we keep it.

Most people just have stuff and it sits around for ever until one day you die and the kids throw it out anyway.

Someone said to me on day, just keep it simple and things will work out fine and also if you have nothing you have nothing to lose true words i reckon.

Leon
I am going to get some shipping containers and in one stuff that may appreciate in value, another with junk in general but will be locked forever and one for the gold bars...just joking of course.but one for stuff I use .. like a garage..I plan to live in the van I got for free but build another observatory...Everyone says I should build a house but I like a small space as I have something to hold when I move about and less to clean..I might buy a flash van but would rather get a wild astro set up..but even that is more to do..I now buy plastic plates but still like to eat straight from the pan or pot...the shipping containers is a great idea.
Alex
Old 20-05-2020, 06:43 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

I find the older I get ...the less I want ...why surround myself with more stuff .... I need to start ' culling ' all sorts of stuff ... sometimes ' stuff ' can own ' you ' and life becomes miserable .... ... By all means enjoy what you have, but the abundance of possessions doesn't bring a happy life.

By Col ... The Philosopher ...

Last edited by FlashDrive; 20-05-2020 at 07:27 PM.
Old 21-05-2020, 08:21 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

Shipping containers are pretty ugly and not really moving forward. They rust and are rubbish themselves. Sell some stuff and build a proper big shed. When you cut down trees you can cut and store the timber in it in either slabs or firewood.

When I lived in the country everyone hand a huge shed and when they moved , opened the shed to the neighbours to share their stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I am going to get some shipping containers and in one stuff that may appreciate in value, another with junk in general but will be locked forever and one for the gold bars...just joking of course.but one for stuff I use .. like a garage..I plan to live in the van I got for free but build another observatory...Everyone says I should build a house but I like a small space as I have something to hold when I move about and less to clean..I might buy a flash van but would rather get a wild astro set up..but even that is more to do..I now buy plastic plates but still like to eat straight from the pan or pot...the shipping containers is a great idea.
Alex
Old 21-05-2020, 09:01 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

This "stuff" is bugging me a lot too. We moved to downsize a bit, but haven't culled much at all yet, so things are piled up. My wife's mother died last year, so she has been getting a lot of stuff from that. We're looking at more too as her father passes sometime - very elderly, so it could happen any time. Then there's my parent's stuff which I'm hoping will be a lot longer off, but who knows.

I'm getting to the stage where I war with myself over not wanting to buy anything vs wanting to get some interesting item. Even before losing my job, I was moving more towards the former anyway.
Old 21-05-2020, 10:44 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Yeah, I'm not a fan of stuff. I tend to only hang onto what I have immediate use for and sell/throw away everything else. Unfortunately for me, my wife loves stuff.

I'm liking the look of the tiny house / minimalist movement... we spend most of our lives working jobs we don't like to pay for stuff we don't need.. it's crazy. The older I get the more this bugs me. Alas, I have a wife that loves stuff and a 3yo daughter so giving up all the things and living a simpler life feels unreachable right now.
Old 21-05-2020, 10:53 AM
JohnF (John)

Keep all your / our STUFF, so that when you / we die relatives will have to take it all to the tip.
Old 21-05-2020, 11:00 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I have been two days concentrating on throwing something out...not one thing yet...but I realise I have more stuff than I first thought.
Maybe I should open a shop...
The astronomy stuff is amazing...I found two cameras I forgot that I had..but all the bits and pieces one accumulates just in that area is amazing...
Alex
Old 21-05-2020, 12:37 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex
My Dad passed a month ago, my sister and I are making a start cleaning stuff out of Dads home in Forster mid north coast
We hired a 6m skip bin , filled it in 2 hours and haven’t even made a dent in the stuff that’s here
Bless his heart , unfortunately Dad was a horder

Obviously keeping sentimental stuff but most of it is being disposed

It’s going to be quite a few trips up here

Also emotional going through all his stuff

Cheers
Old 21-05-2020, 12:53 PM
Ausrock (Chris)

At just shy of 70yrs old, battling with it (stuff) and the last 12 months of unexpected health problems which have been holding my physical abilities back.

In a moment of "clear" thought, I realised that having "space" around me is ultimately more useful than the ridiculous accumulation of inherited tools and personal items ..........it's a long, hard, road ahead.

Martin, we did the "skip thing" pus our trailer 18 months ago at my late father's place in Tuncurry..........became quite friendly with the staff at the tip.
Old 21-05-2020, 01:57 PM
Hemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
You had a knife and fork? Luxury. I remember when we lived in the bush
we ate with our bare hands ...

https://youtu.be/VKHFZBUTA4k
priceless.....the late and great TBT!
Old 21-05-2020, 02:35 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausrock View Post
in a moment of "clear" thought, i realised that having "space" around me is ultimately more useful than the ridiculous accumulation of inherited tools and personal items
+1
Old 21-05-2020, 04:00 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

A skip bin would do me no good I am afraid..I would put nothing in it..the neighbours would and of course I would save their junk and bring it inside....mmmm maybe a skip is a good idea..there is some flash junk around here..I hate council clean up I can't look...
The thing that gets me is you can keep something for an eternity and finally you decide to throw it out...and you do...then within a week or two you are doing something and you find that you need that very thing you have thrown out. Why is that?
A great day..figured out how to use the external hard drive with deep sky stacker so I don't get the out of Fisk space when I three times drizzle...so I am stacking 350 subs to make an artificial luminance for the chicken...it should be finished by 8 am to morrow...I feel productive now.
I have decided to throw out my stack of shredded paper that I was saving to make an archery target...mmm maybe I had better go and get it back before it's too late.
Alex
Old 22-05-2020, 12:02 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Just a note on my big 3x drizzle stack...it finished stacking about 10-30am but says it will be eight hours computing the final picture..this has crash and tears written all over it...plus in 3x drizzle it takes ages for that picture to appear on screen...it will be interesting to see if 3x helps.
Alex