Old 02-03-2020, 09:30 PM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

Question to Sir John Herschel

Sir, Why did your heart jump when you mistook NGC2867 for a planet? Would not the distance from the Ecliptic immediately rule it out as one ?? Or am I missing something ?Best Regards Wes ...
stumbled across this one last Friday Night.
Sky Safari notes :
NGC 2867 was discovered by John Herschel from the Cape of Good Hope on April Fools Day, 1834. Herschel was almost fooled into thinking it was a new planet. Its size and appearance were certainly planet-like, and it was only after careful checking that Herschel was convinced it was a nebula.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:23 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubenel View Post
Sir, Why did your heart jump when you mistook NGC2867 for a planet? Would not the distance from the Ecliptic immediately rule it out as one ?? Or am I missing something ?Best Regards Wes ...
stumbled across this one last Friday Night.
Sky Safari notes :
NGC 2867 was discovered by John Herschel from the Cape of Good Hope on April Fools Day, 1834. Herschel was almost fooled into thinking it was a new planet. Its size and appearance were certainly planet-like, and it was only after careful checking that Herschel was convinced it was a nebula.
Maybe the dogma that a planet must be on the ecliptic wasn't as strong as it is today.?
Don't forget Pluto is 17° off the plain of the solar system
We now know that there are planets floating about the galaxy without a parent star.
Just some points in Herschel's favor.
Cheers
Old 01-04-2020, 09:35 PM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

A question to Sir John Herschel

I thought I would attempt to capture "Herschel's Folly" and tonight being on the anniversary of it's discovery,I am compelled to make mention of it here.Thanks Sir John, I doubt NGC2867 has changed much visually in the preceding 183 years but our telescopes have .You would be impressed I think.
Here's the address to my image posted last week.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=181808