Old 10-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Eris (Gerard)

Wide angle CCD imaging advice needed

Hi,
I am planning doing some wide-angle imaging with various film camera lenses fitted to Nikon bayonet mounts (24mm- 300mm) and connected to a suitable adapter that will join with a SBIG ST 2000XM.
I have heard that some film camera lenses will not come to a focus, and more so when coupled to a CWF8/9 filter wheel.

1. Is this information correct, and if so do I need another special adapter to bring these lenses into focus?
2. Would I be better off without the filter wheel and just screw the required filters
onto the nosepiece of the CCD camera?

I would appreciate any advice you may be able give me to get the project up and running.

Thanks,

Eris
Old 10-07-2007, 06:56 PM
bojan
amateur

If you use Fuji colour or slide film, cooled or hipered (I think it is still available from USA) then you do not need filters.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:15 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

That is correct. Here is an extract of an email I received from Steve Mogg regarding using the sbig to EOS lense adapter and filters.

Quote:
In general the lens SLR adapters don't work with filter wheels. The backfocus distance created by the filter wheel is too large. So while I have T-EOS adapters even the shortest one probably won't work for you because of this.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:22 AM
gbeal

Correct. I use the ST2000XCM, so it works OK for me. In the case of the ST2000XM though, if you want RGB, then the only real way is to fit a single filter for each individual exposure. The Mogg adaptor can be supplied with a small filter holder which sits within the adaptor/lens. This makes for fiddly but possible filter use. Only other way I can see is to adapt something like the Meade filter slide which comprises a thin strip of filters in a row. You would need to butcher an adaptor to do this though.
Gary
Old 11-07-2007, 07:58 AM
montewilson (Monte)

Here is some useful information.

http://www.galaxyimages.com/ccdwidefield.html

Not sure if this is a solution but at least you can see how someone solved it.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:36 AM
gbeal

Ah yes, forgot about them Monte, mostly as I only "think" Canon, and Eris specifically said Nikon, sorry Eris.
The Canon lens throat to chip/film distance is such that nobody makes a system for them unfortunately. Nikon etc is easier.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:58 PM
montewilson (Monte)

You know, you´re kind up against a wall with this one. What you could consider is two options. Sell the home, the car, the wife and the kids and buy an STL-11000 as they have all this solved and built in.

Luckily I bought mine before I got married there is just no way I would be allowed to buy one now!

The other option is to get an H-Alpha filter for the front of your lens and have some fun. I say H-a because that is the coolest one but if you feel like going RGB don't let m stop you. With that set-up you can do anything between great nebula shots to scientific work mapping little known nebulas.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Eris (Gerard)

Hi again guys,
Thanks for the ideas.

Regards,

Eris