Old 01-01-2011, 07:58 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Genuine Pelican Cases.

Hello.

I am looking at getting some pelican style cases for camera gear and sports equipment.

I was looking at the 'knock off' versions,and did some research.

I had some results,which I felt may be of interest to folks here.

I found a supplier in Victoria here http://www.justtools.com.au/prod3837.htm

That has a 50 cm by 40 cm by 20 cm version for $119 plus $20 postage to SE QLD.

Then I found a good site in the U.S that has the geniune pelican and storm brand,at a not so bad price.

Looking at this one http://www.pelican1510case.com/ with the dividers.the postage to QLD Australia was $113 all up around $280 to my door.

I thought this not too bad,its geniune pelican,and when you see the pic,can fit a lot of canon gear in.Can get it in a tan colour too.

Check out the above link they sell a wide range of cases,would fit scopes and rifles.

Thought this might help some people here,I've been looking at buying some for ages,and really only thought I'd end up with a knock off,but not now.

Cheers Chris
Old 01-01-2011, 08:04 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Chris obviously you selling that photo has enabled you to go up market
Most of the people I know who have bought the Knock off brand are more that satisfied with them, me included
Happy New Year
Old 01-01-2011, 08:16 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re cases

Not so Ron,I have always looked and compared prices of any kit,that I am going to take into the field and use for a long time.

regardless of whether its a rifle,telescope,camera,game fishing reel etc.

Over the years,I have found its usually (but not always)false economy to by the 'cheaper' version.

The tools and kit we are likely to put in these plastic carry boxes cost many hundreds or thousands of dollars.I cannot see any sense in leaving anything to chance for the sake of a few dollars.

The link the cheaper case http://www.justtools.com.au/prod5046.htm

(I put the wrong one on the original post,sorry) is perfectly fine,but all up it $140.the one from U.S is $289 all up,some might say,its too much,but its a real pelican case! much larger,I know people who have had stuff in them for decades and gone all over the world,never had to worry about kit breaking

-that's priceless!
Old 01-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Davros (Lauren)
stumblebum

Hmm i use a large Pelican case for gear at work and i have one of the Kinchrome knockoffs for my DSLR. I cant tell the difference except for colour. In fact i would say the clips on the Kinchrome are stronger. It takes all ive got to close them. I certainly couldnt justify the massive difference in price.
Once ive had the Kinchrome for a decade or so there may be a noticeable difference but for the price ($60) i could have replaced it several times and still come out in front.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Davros (Lauren)
stumblebum

Oh for what its worth Bunnings have that same Kinchrome case available in three sizes with the middle one (fits DSLR plus lenses plus charger etc.) for $60 odd bucks.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:38 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Chris have you seen this thread
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...624#post671624
Cheers
Old 02-01-2011, 01:09 AM
davewaldo
Tasmania

I'd have to agree with Mick. I have two kinchrome case and can't fault them other than interior foam not being quite as nice as a pelican. I'd say construction is just as good as a pelican. However I dont actually think pelican cases are that great. I'm a pro photographer and at the large studio where I used to rent space they had many pelican cases. About half of them didn't seal well and had dodgy clips. So Ive been well and truly put off pelican cases when you consider the cost. I've only heard good things about storm cases, but I've never had a good look at them.

As you mention it doesn't always pay to go cheap, however some of the cheap cases are great but I've also seen some very nasty ones. So I'd want to inspect anything I bought first. I'd pop into photocontinental and look at their cases. I believe they stock pelican and storm. The good thing about storm cases is their nifty easy latches. Some pelican cases are painful to open!

All the best with it.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:30 AM
hotspur (Chris)

re cases

Thanks chaps!

I really liked reading the thoughts of people that have used a different range

of these cases.

The reference to the Kingcrome one,was not that I thought it was a cheap knock off,but simply one I found doing my research-I know many farmers etc
that have Kingcrome brand tools etc,and all speak very highly off them.

The sizes I linked to, look very good and well priced,when I found the link to the pelican cases,I thought the prices rather reasonable-I always imaged them to be much dearer.

There was a IIS member going to import some and sell here,but they all got sold,before he could sell therm here.

So,I have to look at some alternatives,by the above reports it appears the kingchrome ones sound very good.There is a Kingcrome outlet in Kingaroy so I will see if I can get them there,otherwise I will get some from Victoria.

I do like the suggestion to look and feel and test in store,some of the ones I have seen are different brands,that did not seal or work well.

Also,just personal preference-I feel the yellow or tan colour to be better than black,-black would absorb more heat than the yellow,if in field.

Thanks for your thoughts,Chris
Old 02-01-2011, 08:46 AM
acropolite (Phil)

Chris Jaycar also have a range of cases. In my experience the Kingcrome cases are very good, I have a couple of the small black cases from Jaycar and they are also good quality.

Personally, unless I was travelling and seperated from my gear, I wouldn't use a Pelican style case, they're too bulky, inconvenient to carry around and don't have the storage of a good backpack.

For storage and transport I uses instead a Lowepro Flipside 400 AW, which will comfortably house 2 bodies, 70-200 F4L, 100mm Macro and extension tubes, 15mm Fisheye, 24-105, 2x 580EX, filters a timer, batteries, charger, some handbooks and other miscellaneous items. If I need more storage Lowepro also has a rande of clip on storage cases, that will be my next step as there isn't much room left in the bag. The flipside also has the zipper on the inside back of the case so no one can tamper with it from behind. It also has a decent rainhood.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:01 AM
hotspur (Chris)

re cases

Thanks Phil,I did look at some at Jaycar,I tested the ones this particular store had,and none sealed or closed properly.Another astronomer was with me,and we were quite shocked,at how all in the store appeared faulty.

It does appear,that viewing in store is a big plus on buying this type of item.

I am most intrigued how everyone here on IIS gives the thumbs down to pelican,over on all the other forums (shooting,motorcycling,and similar)they all give the pelican a big thumbs up.

I use a good quality and rather expensive vanity carry bag,I have put foam inserts in it,and can carry the lenses and camera I need for a given shoot.

I am very happy with it.I am looking at a plastic style case that might be good for longer storage,and keep moisture out,and for transportation to rough and remote locations.'

So all your thoughts and reviews of these items in the field is most useful.

Thanks,Chris
Old 03-01-2011, 06:24 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re storage boxes.

Just seen your link Ron,it does not appear to work.

I think I will get some of the Kingcrome cases,the pro photographer here

and others say they work well.

Thanks Chris