Old 22-12-2007, 01:40 PM
CometGuy

Anyone got a D300 yet?

Anyone in Brisbane got a Nikon D300 yet who would be interested in doing a astro comparision between it and a Canon (my 350D). I've seen some pretty promising results from the D300.

Terry
Old 23-12-2007, 08:45 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Thee hasn't been anyone here jumping up and down about it Terry, but if you're buying I'll put my hand up.
Old 23-12-2007, 10:38 AM
CometGuy

Paul,

Price is a bit steep for me just to do a test

Anyway, I stuck my neck in one of the dpreview threads with somebody with a 5D and D300 doing some astrophotography comparisions:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=26052387

Given its smaller pixels and less aperture lens the D300 seems to do a good job. He is going to do a same lens comparision soon and hopefully I can get hold of the raw files to do some comparisions.

Terry
Old 18-01-2008, 09:39 PM
wysiwyg (Mark)
Astrophotographer

I got mine last december, upgraded from the d200, simply or the liveview feature, i got sick of taking tens of test shots for focus.

I have only had 2 astro sessions with it and the results are very impressive, the d300's noise reduction is fanatstic and you dont even get alot of noise not using dark frame subtrction.

Colour rendition is also a step up from the d200.
But the best feature has to be liveview, while in liveview you can zoom right in on lets say the octans in orion and fine tune your focus in a matter of seconds, then just lock the focuser and you are done.

As for terrestial photography, it is definitely way better than the d200. Its colours are just unbelievable especially whe you crank up "vivid", he colours just pop out. Its 8 fps is also impressive especially for sports photography.

I now its not the full format like the d3, but even the pros sya that the only difference between the 2 is the full format feature, at the moment I canot justify and extra $4K for this feature.

I am waiting to give the d300 its full workout once my observatory is built, then its everything will be up for grabs.
Old 14-03-2008, 10:02 PM
rat156

Just got one of these (last weekend). Testing it out now on Omega Centauri....