Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Mobile Astronomy Apps

Old 06-09-2018, 07:44 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
It would be good if you could get this outside of PlayStore and side-load it to the device. Unfortunately as it's a paid app it's just not possible to prevent piracy. Meanwhile Google PlayStore on my PC tells me it's installed, which it isn't, so the refund button is no longer available. If I can't get this over another connection I've done my money.
I'm sure there's a way to contact them and sort it out.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:08 AM
Malcolm

At a friend's place now giving it another go.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:28 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
After buying this I've made probably about a dozen failed attempts to download this app. I think I've downloaded about 4GB of data from my isp trying to get this.
SS6 Pro is using 2 GB on my phone (1.87 GB for the app, which I assume includes the full Pro star catalogue, and another 128 MB of "User data", which probably includes my in-app purchases etc).

I can't recall how big the full download is, as I've been on the Beta program, so I've had a lot of small downloads in the last few days for Beta patch updates - from memory, it was about 1.5 GB. (I do recall getting a warning that this was a big download, and to check my data caps before installing)

Sit yourself down with a good wi-fi connection, delete the app and then install it again, and it should be good to go.

Good luck!
Old 06-09-2018, 07:23 PM
Malcolm

I finally got it down after having to wipe my phone. Failed twice with yet another error message so I decided to wipe the phone and it came in just fine. Finally! :-)
Old 07-09-2018, 03:30 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Just bought Skysafari 6 Pro this morning. Despite having it for zero nights so far, it already looks better. Hopefully will make it to my 1st astro club meet here in Townsville on Saturday... should be good

Thanks for pointing this out!
Old 07-09-2018, 11:28 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianh72 View Post
You can import all of your saved SS5 data into SS6. The process depends on whether you were saving them to local storage, or backing up to Google Drive. Instructions are at the top of the Help file in the app. SS6 data is automatically synced to SkySafari's own LiveSky Cloud storage (free for SS6 Plus and Pro users).

All of your equipment settings, FOV indicators, etc, should all be imported, once you have done the one-time import, and will be synced across multiple devices.
Most data do work. I installed SS6 on my Huawei Mate 9 and afterwards I started it clean, exited it, removed the folder Skysafari 6 Pro and renamed Skysafari 5 Pro to Skysafari 6 Pro, and everything worked, except my equipment list which I had to fill in again.

There is a weird bug in it: the Moon is displayed in daylight as a black ball with a white crescent in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screenshot_20180907-163228.jpg)
153.0 KB24 views

Last edited by skysurfer; 07-09-2018 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:57 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post
removed the folder Skysafari 6 Pro and renamed Skysafari 5 Pro to Skysafari 6 Pro, and everything worked, except my equipment list which I had to fill in again.
Why did you rename 5 to 6?
Old 08-09-2018, 08:10 AM
Malcolm

"removed the folder Skysafari 6 Pro" That doesn't make sense at all. The Pro6 folder would have contained all the updated info for the app. I think that by doing that you restored v5.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:32 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

What are the in -app extras to purchase. Are they something new ? Sounds like you can purchase extra catalogs etc ? I currently have v5 pro.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:26 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
What are the in -app extras to purchase. Are they something new ? Sounds like you can purchase extra catalogs etc ? I currently have v5 pro.
Interactive HR Diagram - I'm not sure how much it costs, as I bought it as part of the Beta trial program, and now that I own it, the purchase price doesn't show up

PGC Extension Database - adds 3 million galaxies - $7.49

UCAC5 Extension Database - adds 75 million stars - $14.99
Old 08-09-2018, 12:31 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post
Most data do work. I installed SS6 on my Huawei Mate 9 and afterwards I started it clean, exited it, removed the folder Skysafari 6 Pro and renamed Skysafari 5 Pro to Skysafari 6 Pro, and everything worked, except my equipment list which I had to fill in again.
You need to COPY the SS5 data into the SS6 folder, not delete and replace the SS6 data. I suspect the SS6 folder structure might contain some important file(s) which you may have deleted.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:08 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Thanks.
I'll try it.
Old 15-10-2018, 08:11 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

I finally upgraded. Took a while to find everything as the menus have changed a bit. But has a much better feel now and some nice features like graph object - good for planning. No crashes with orbit object anymore!
Old 21-11-2018, 09:16 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

SkySafari 6 Plus and Pro are 50% off at the moment - I'm not sure how long the discount will be around:

https://skysafariastronomy.com/ss6-neaf.html#ss6-pro