Old 09-06-2013, 02:50 PM
Grimmeister (Anthony)

Glad to see everyone is jumping on board with what could be better about the mount and what should have been "thought of" by the manufacturer!!!

Has anyone that actually has one these mounts bothered to fire it up and test things like PC Direct Mode and connected it to ASCOM/EQMod? It doesn't need to be under clear skies to do some testing and find out the technical bits and pieces!
Old 09-06-2013, 03:39 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmeister View Post
Glad to see everyone is jumping on board with what could be better about the mount and what should have been "thought of" by the manufacturer!!!
But that is what makes the internet fun

I'll be finding out for myself next week! (Dissapointed they missed out the cup holders though...)
Old 09-06-2013, 06:40 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisshillito View Post
Well to be fair If I have issued such an ultimatum it was definitely tongue in cheek!

EQMOD aims to be a free and open project and we will never charge for EQMOD nor request donations. The consequence of this is that developers bear the cost of development and naturally support for new equipment will only occur if a current developer buys that equipment or new developers join the project.

My own position is that I'm quite happy with my belt drive EQ6 Pro and am not looking to upgrade my mount. My own motives for working on EQMOD are essentially selfish one, to provide me with better mount control. Whilst I'm more than happy to share the stuff I do it is hard to justify taking on projects that offer no direct benefit to my own setup. I hope folks understand that.

What would be interesting to know is if the EQ8 sysncan includes an PC-Direct option - if it does then it may just be that they've changed the physical mount interface making the current EQDirect incompatible but not necessarily EQASCOM itself.

If the EQ8 is not EQASCOM compatible then I would urge all those who are considering this mount to question Skywatcher, and their distributors as to why, what has changed and what, if anything they plan to do about it.

If Skywatcher are made aware that their customer base demands it then they may be more willing to volunteer technical information to the EQMOD development team that would ease any development effort. Failing that to reverse engineer an EQ8 a developer would require access to a motor controller board, motors+encoders and synscan - they wouldn't need a gift of an entire mount.

Chris.
Dear Chris,

Thanks for joining and commenting here on Ice. I'm sure there are a LOT of aussies etc who dip their hat to you Sir - EQMOD is a total game changer especially for astrophotographers. Let's hope someone at Synta realises the potential benefits upping sales to serious astronomy customers by sending a few emails. In the meantime, I know I'd be lost without EQMOD laptop control for my Heq5 and eq6.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Grimmeister (Anthony)

Hi Rob,

I second your comments to Chris. Thanks Chris and the eqmod team.

Eqmod is the main reason I didn't buy a Losmandy G11 mount and am looking at the eq8. It is up to those that have eq8's or ability to assist to join in and help get this working in eqmod.

With regards to contacting synta, if anyone has an email address please let me know I am more than happy to send them a message supporting eqmod development.

Cheers

Anthony
Old 10-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Bender (Martin)
They're here

Well I have just tried to connect my laptop to the mount with some success. It wouldn't work with my new windows 8 laptop and usb converter.
But I went back to my old XP netbook and usb convertor and I could get it to drive to the park position.
I have never used EQMod before, so maybe I haven't set something properly.
I tried driving it through stellarium with no success.
Also with the mount, Anthony and I had come up with another idea of putting a collar above and below the mount to make a maximum and minimum height adjustment. I also thought about putting a bracket with a handle to make it easy to load in and out of the car.

Martin
Old 10-06-2013, 01:29 PM
Grimmeister (Anthony)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Well I have just tried to connect my laptop to the mount with some success. It wouldn't work with my new windows 8 laptop and usb converter.
But I went back to my old XP netbook and usb convertor and I could get it to drive to the park position.
Hi Martin,

Happy to help via Team Viewer (Remote Screen Sharing and assistance) if your having isses getting the EQMod software to talk to the mount.

Cheers

Anthony
Old 10-06-2013, 01:33 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Also with the mount, Anthony and I had come up with another idea of putting a collar above and below the mount to make a maximum and minimum height adjustment. I also thought about putting a bracket with a handle to make it easy to load in and out of the car.

Martin
WTG Martin.
Give me a ring if you want back-seat driver for EQMOD?
Old 10-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

Love the MX. They're an amazing mount with powerful software. Speaking only as a user...

Last edited by Logieberra; 10-06-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:45 PM
coldknights (Cathy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logieberra View Post
Love the MX. They're an amazing mount with powerful software. Speaking only as a user...
Yes the software is great I am testing the sky x pro and coming from version 5 to x pro Is a big jump and i like all the new features .
Yes have been thinking mx or eq8 just waiting on users comments on here and compatibility integrating with other systems.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:52 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
TrevorW
Here is the message that has just been posted:
Simple design faults in a $8000 mount, you must wonder sometimes who is taking who for a ride, this isn't sour grapes it's just I keep reading about issues with the PMX and now this mount, common I'd be seriously thinking twice about investing in either mount considering the cost.
well Trevor i did consider the costs and the pro and cons. as far as i am concerned the eq8 can run without a pc and carry the load. no brainer. the pc stuff will come, i can wait. all it has to do for me is point and guide
Old 11-06-2013, 06:26 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Forgetting EQMod for a moment.....
Does the EQ8 connect via the handcontroller to the PC? and what are the settings for the "telescope", under the planetarium program (ie CdC)
Still the same Skywatcher EQ....?
Old 11-06-2013, 06:41 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I am surprised no one is trying this, because the latest Synscan firmware allows direct PC control through the handset, yet everyone seems hung up on direct without hand controller as intermediary. I believe this is why Skywatcher did the latest firmware in the first place.

PC -> USB to serial converter -> serial to RJ45 into handcontroller, then handcontroller to mount as usual. Just what Skywatcher says to do. No need for a shoestring converter etc.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:47 AM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I am surprised no one is trying this, because the latest Synscan firmware allows direct PC control through the handset, yet everyone seems hung up on direct without hand controller as intermediary. I believe this is why Skywatcher did the latest firmware in the first place.

PC -> USB to serial converter -> serial to RJ45 into handcontroller, then handcontroller to mount as usual. Just what Skywatcher says to do. No need for a shoestring converter etc.
Can you provide a link to this firmware update Lewis? Is it an ASCOM driver?

I don't have an EQ mount, but I understand EQMOD provides a range of features than the handset alone doesn't.

DT
Old 11-06-2013, 08:16 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Been out for a while:

http://www.skywatcher.com/swtinc/cus...1=1&class2=101
Old 11-06-2013, 10:52 AM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

ta Lewis,

DT
Old 11-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Grimmeister (Anthony)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
Can you provide a link to this firmware update Lewis? Is it an ASCOM driver?

I don't have an EQ mount, but I understand EQMOD provides a range of features than the handset alone doesn't.

DT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post

Hi David and Lewis,

The SynScan hand controller has always had the PC Direct capability this is not new, however EQMod describes this as a testing method rather than a reliable end solution. This is because the SYnScan hand controller takes over some of the control of the mounts actions.

I believe you can still achieve most if not all functions of EQMod via the hand controller method however this has proven in the past to lock up or cause other issues hence the desire for most people to want a direct connection to the mount.

At this stage EQMod would like to see a connection ova the hand controller first to ascertain if the mount can be controlled via a PC without any coding changes required, in order to connect directly to the mount this will take longer and potentially requires a new TTL adaptor that sends the signal on 3.3 volts instead of the existing 5 volts setup of the EQ5/EQ6.

I would encourage anyone that has an EQ8 mount to connect it up via the hand controller and post their results in the EQMod forum or here so next steps can be looked at.

Cheers

Anthony
Old 11-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Anthony,
I haven't heard of any hang-ups or issues using EQmod under the Synscan PC-Direct since the introduction of V3.2.
If someone has factual information and examples please let me know.

I again ask....has anyone used the EQ8 controlled by a planetarium program through the "normal" Synscan controller??.....
Old 11-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Tandum (Robin)

Too soon Ken, there aren't enough of them delivered yet. Mine is on a truck in Sydney today.

I think PC-Direct introduces latencies in commands and replies.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:36 AM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmeister View Post
...and potentially requires a new TTL adaptor that sends the signal on 3.3 volts instead of the existing 5 volts setup of the EQ5/EQ6.
I noted that documentation discrepancy posted earlier, but that would imply that the Synscan controller was capable of variable voltage outputs, or that the EQ8 Synscan is different from the rest. Neither if these options seem likely for commercial reasons if nothing else. (BTW, if it was hardware, just solder one of these in line: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ZV1650 )

My guess is a protocol change that needs to be understood.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:40 AM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Anthony,
I again ask....has anyone used the EQ8 controlled by a planetarium program through the "normal" Synscan controller??.....
Nope, no one. But Mine's on the same Truck as Robin's and I suspect that we will both be doing that by the end of the week!