Go Back   IceInSpace > IceTrade Classifieds > IceTrade Archives
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2017, 11:26 AM
Tasastro (Bill)

Explore Scientific ED80

Selling my improved but almost unused ED80. Bought less than 12 months ago with the intention of DSO photography but my interests are now almost entirely in optics testing and telescope making.

The optics are good for the price and purpose, however I was disappointed with some aspects of the mechanics as received:

The mounting foot was only attached by two small screws and was unacceptably lacking in stiffness.
The focuser is rotatable but the retaining screws were loose and needed continual adjusment. Also the locking screw had a sharp end and gouged the focuser ring.
Focuser image shift was extreme and there was considerable backlash.

All of these issues have been addressed:
I made a front mounting bracket for the foot as shown in the photos. It is made of aluminium and attached to the scope using double sided tape - no holes were drilled in the scope tube. Also fitted a clip to stop scope slipping out of mounting at high elevation if somebody forgets to tighten the mounting screws.
Focuser was stripped and re-shimmed to reduce clearance and improve gear mesh. It is now beautifully smooth with zero focus shift and very little backlash. I would say it is at least as good as that on my Astro Physics scope. The rotating ring screws were adjusted and sealed with nail polish (easily removed for further adjustments if needed), and the locking screw given a spherical point.

Finder scope is now included.

This is the ideal scope for anyone starting out in imaging. Current best retail price is $1150 plus postage.

$550 plus postage - will not separate
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (complete_1.jpg)
189.9 KB72 views
Click for full-size image (Objective.jpg)
182.9 KB51 views
Click for full-size image (foot.jpg)
177.3 KB47 views
Click for full-size image (foot2.jpg)
190.8 KB40 views
Click for full-size image (Box.jpg)
173.9 KB52 views

Last edited by Tasastro; 13-06-2017 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Finder scope inclusion, new photographs
Old 10-06-2017, 10:09 AM
Tasastro (Bill)

Finder scope now included

The finder scope and mount are now included in the sale. Price unchanged at $550.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:04 PM
Tasastro (Bill)

Postage

I will post this to anywhere in Australia for $50.00
Old 10-06-2017, 01:41 PM
castor

Just wondering what are the dimensions of the finder scope? and where in Tas are you located
Old 10-06-2017, 01:57 PM
tvandoore (Tim)

PM sent