Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 13-04-2024, 07:03 PM
glend (Glen)

Shutting up the Observatory for Winter, once again.

Yes, I do not appreciate the cold, especially at my advanced years, and even with Wi-Fi connection back to the house, I am not inclined to keep going through Winter any longer. So as with the last few years I pack up all my gear in the observatory and move it into storage in the house - till spring. My mount will last much longer for not being put through Winter condensation cycles. It gives me a chance to do a tear down, lubrication, and belt adjustment, etc.
I will be reinvigorated by Spring.
Old 13-04-2024, 07:41 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Glen,

Does the Lake Macquarie have those really cold Winters ?

At times you probably get those westerly’s off the Barrington Tops which bite. My folks ( passed 8 and 10 years ago ) retired up at Forster in 1988 and the Winters , particularly in late July and August were bloody cold at night.

At my Dome down south it usually gets down to around 5 to 8 degrees mid Winter which is not too bad for the region.

Folk say in passing conversations “oh the South Coast is bloody cold down there” I tend to disagree , the Shoalhaven in particular has fairly mild Winters

I can understand you having a Winters break at your young age , you’ve been at this wonderful hobby for a long long time
Me I’m still a newbie , started the hobby at 57 ( 64 now ) so I’ve only got probably 10 to 15 good years left ( pending health ) which is not a long time in this hobby especially when weather and time are against you. Oh and I’ve invested or should I say spent a lot of my retirement savings on this hobby. Gee what will the kids and grandkids do with all this stuff in my later years ??

Enjoy your Winters break

Martin
Old 14-04-2024, 09:18 AM
Davros (Lauren)
stumblebum

I'm the opposite 😂 i can't handle the heat and mugginess of summer nights. So i hibernate during summer and really get into it over winter
Old 14-04-2024, 12:17 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Glen cant you get some heaters and a jacket with heating wires?

It is so much effort moving it all up to the house and back...and as to stuff wearing out I assure you that is not a concern... personally I love to see that the bar be que has rusted out or other stuff has worn out as I say to myself " well I outlasted you" and just replace it...and whats the worst that can happen..you get to buy a new mount.

AND so you are getting old you dont have to give in to the cold you just beat it with new stuff...put in a heated floor

alex