Old 27-01-2019, 05:37 PM
thercman (Greg)

Which brand(s) LRGB filters?

So I purchased the ZWO filter wheel with 8, 1.25" filters. Now I am trying to determine the quality of the filters that are on the market and how much money I need to throw at them to get "quality". Since the term "quality" is subjective I'll provide my definition. "A filter that does not diminish the image quality in an obvious way." For example, make the image soft by reducing detail etc...

ZWO sells a set for $169, Astronimik - $269, Baadar - $379, Chroma - $475, Astrodon - $547, etc... Will the ZWO filters provide me with quality results or do I need to spend more? Is there a huge difference in quality between the $169 set and the $547 filters? Said another way, will the difference be noticeable in the end results of an image?
Old 27-01-2019, 10:33 PM
billdan (Bill)

You will find the cheaper filters will have unwanted Halos' around bright stars.
The cheaper filters may not be parfocal, so re-focusing after a filter change is mandatory.

ZWO did have a problem with Halos' but I believe the latest generation from them is a lot better.
Old 28-01-2019, 05:55 AM
thercman (Greg)

Thanks for the heads up. So which filters would you recommend? I ordered an Astronomik light pollution filter two weeks ago to use with my Fuji X-T3. It will be a few weeks before I can get the ASI1600... I'm hoping it will show up this week. I live in a pretty light polluted area and don't want to image without it...
Old 28-01-2019, 08:01 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

I've got Astrodon E-series II LRGB and Astronomik 6nm NB filters and am very happy with both. No reflection issues with either. Can't speak to Astronomik LRGB though.
Old 28-01-2019, 10:07 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

I went from Baader to Chroma filters on an ASI1600mm mainly because I wanted 3nm narrowband. I was getting star halos occasionally with the Baader blue filter but haven't seen any since I switched.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 28-01-2019, 11:59 AM
thercman (Greg)

Thanks! I definitely do not want to buy something twice... I am looking at the Chroma filters to see what they have to offer...

Oh, is it better to use the 31mm unmounted as opposed to the thread-in 1.25"?
Old 28-01-2019, 04:24 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thercman View Post
Thanks! I definitely do not want to buy something twice... I am looking at the Chroma filters to see what they have to offer...

Oh, is it better to use the 31mm unmounted as opposed to the thread-in 1.25"?
The Chroma filters are expensive but very good.

The 31mm unmounted filters will give you a bit less vignetting with fast systems. I actually went with 36mm filters because I wanted minimal vignetting with very fast optics (like camera lenses at f/2 and faster.)
Old 28-01-2019, 09:46 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

I’m sure you get what you pay for, but I couldn’t justify the Astrodons and went for the Astronomik Deep Sky and haven’t found an issue with them so far.