Old 23-10-2014, 08:26 AM
AstroTom (Tom)

Focal Reducer for BD ED 120 Refractor

Hi Everyone,

Following on from my last thread regarding the ED120 telescope I am now looking at getting a focal reducer and field flattener. For the ED120 telescope these seem hard to find here in Australia. I had a look at the astro shops in the UK and found the reducer at the link below:

http://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/...ED_DS-PRO.html

But this seems to be for the Evostar ED120 DS. I'm not sure whether this also fits the ED120 as well or not. When I go to ozscopes I find the same reducer but much more expensive as noted in the link below

http://www.ozscopes.com.au/skywatche...l-reducer.html

From the places that I have seen that sell the ED100 and ED80 reducers these are both around $300 so not sure why this one is nearly $150 more.

All in all I'm a little confused. At present I ma thinking to buy the one from the UK as with the conversion and shipping its likely to be cheaper than the one from ozscopes. Thats if this is the correct one for my scope.

If anyone has info on these reducers please let me know.

Regards,

Tom
Old 23-10-2014, 09:44 AM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Tom I don't have the scope or reducer ...but I suspect the larger scope needs a different reducer/flattener.

The part number from skywatcher is S20202. A search reveals ~$249 USD is about the price from many places like:
B&H
Highpoint
Skywatcher USA.
Amazon
OPT
The find USA

Anyway they all look similar pricing. Shipping costs can vary and some may not ship to Australia due to commercial area restrictions on sales by big companies...but some will sell and if not you can use a ship fwd company like priceusa. There are lots of them.

Just do your sums on exchange/shipping to see if you really do come out in front, and enjoy.

Brendan

Old 23-10-2014, 10:00 AM
blink138 (Pat)

tom my brother made the mistake of buying this reducer but it did not fit his 80mm ed triplet f/6 so it is surplus to his needs
we found out that it was designed for the skywatcher and orion f/7 to f/9 doublets
perhaps you could arrange a try before you buy with him?
pat
Old 24-10-2014, 09:26 PM
5ash (Philip)
Earthling

Have you looked at the Orion 0.8x reducer , priced at $149 at bintel? Have no idea what it's like , saw it recently when looking through their website.
Philip
Old 25-10-2014, 05:32 AM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

5ash...I think the Orion one...or the one I am thinking of... is a reducer only not a reducer/field flattener or in this case called a reducer/corrector.
Old 25-10-2014, 06:57 PM
blink138 (Pat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasyoungonce View Post
5ash...I think the Orion one...or the one I am thinking of... is a reducer only not a reducer/field flattener or in this case called a reducer/corrector.
yep that is right brendan
pat
Old 25-10-2014, 08:26 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

I have read that the (Bintel) 0.8x Orion reducer also is a corrector. I have one. Works fine in the ED100. Very minor distortion only at the extreme corners. Also works great with the SW 120mm F5 refractor. What it doesn't like is my Kson 80mm F5.5 refractor. Heaps of edge distortion. Why it works with the 120mm F5 but not an 80mm F5.5 I don't know. Maybe it doesn't like FL less than 600mm? I should try it on the Meade SN102 F7.8 to see how it goes at around 800mm.

Unfortunately there's no way of knowing how well it would correct on the ED120 without trying it.