Old 04-08-2008, 09:04 PM
gman (Grant)
Where is the dark?

Home Photot= Printer

Looking for a home photo printer to print the adhoc photo.
I want somthing that prints descent quality
Help needed
Old 04-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Ian Robinson

EPSON STYLUS series are pretty good. Capable of up to 5760 dpi and high quality photoquality prints on glossy paper.

I have an EPSON STYLUS C6500 Multifunction that I bought a couple of years ago. Is a really nice unit, wish it did A3 but how often do you need A3 prints.

Most my printing is for uni and is docs (assignments and lecture notes and downloaded papers from lit searches), but it's nice to have printer I can bung in some glossy paper and print a photo with, only up til now, I've not had a digital camera better than 3.2 Mpix and the image quality it produced was pretty ordinary , I now have a 40D and expect to get more out it in future.
The scanning option and copy option are handy too.
Ink is about $15 per colour cartridge and a bit more for black , mine is 3 colour + black. I have stuck with original Epson inks.\

If I were in the market for a new printer - http://www.epson.com.au/products/mul...x690_specs.asp
is what I would likely get.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:04 AM
acropolite (Phil)

If your pockets are deep enough you'll get the best results from Pigment (paint as opposed to dye) based inks, i.e. the Epson R800 (A4) R1900 or R2400 (Both are A3+ printers; A3 is 297 x 420mm ; A3+ is 329 x 483mm). Pigment based inks have excellent lght fastness (they don't fade) and they don't run if water is accidentally spilled on the surface. There are 8 individual ink cartridges including 2 blacks and a gloss optomiser. There are also manufacturers who make aftermarket bulk ink feed kits as well for these models. The R800 goes for under $500, the R1900 under $900 and the R2400 under $1100.

I have the R1800 which is the preceding model, the results you can get are as good as any lab.

Last edited by acropolite; 05-08-2008 at 07:18 AM.