Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 09-07-2018, 09:58 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan_L View Post
Apart from being easier to move around and set up, the collapsible is also easier to store out of the way (I keep mine in a cupboard on a shelf).
photo added don't know why its sideways, sorry, but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20180708_180908 (Medium).jpg)
124.5 KB30 views
Old 09-07-2018, 11:00 AM
gaseous (Patrick)

If you think you'll stick with planets and other brighter/larger objects, then goto probably isn't needed, but if you want to start hunting down fainter DSO's then I reckon goto is the way to go. I'm sure some more "traditionalist" observers would argue to the contrary, but for me, the goto just gives you more time enjoying the views and less time getting frustrated. They may argue that you learn the sky better having to find things yourself, and that has some merit, but nothing dulls the enthusiasm like spending most of the time searching fruitlessly for small/faint objects without success. I found the goto actually enhanced my desire to learn more about the constellations, stars, and all the faint lurking delights out there.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:52 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Thanks again for all the replies and advice, it is all greatly appreciated very much.
I think i have now pretty much decided to settle on a SkyWatcher 10" Dobsonian with goto.
I guess without sounding silly, with any accessories that i purchase, i want them to be firstly compatible with the Dobsonian,
But i also want them to be of the best or pretty close to the best quality, mainly so that latter on if i do have to upgrade to a better eyepiece or anything, i won't be buying the same piece twice if that makes sense.

So it looks like i will need a collimation tool, i don't mind taking the extra time to setup everything perfect and spot on, so any recommendations for this would be appreciated.

Also the scope finder, a few have recommended a laser or red dot version.

I am not sure yet on eyepieces, the ones listed was only what the store recommended to me.
I am firstly planning out to start with just planet viewing and them move from there, at least this stage anyway until i learn more.

Always appreciate any advice
Thanks.
Peter.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:28 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Peter,

Only thing i will add, when it comes to eyepieces its almost an entire subjective section and everyone will have preferences based on slightly different criteria.

With eyepieces I want good scatter control, no blackouts and consistent quality. The cost is less of an issue and field of view is dependant on what a view.

I would go with the plossl first and see how you go. I have found orthoscopics really good for planetary and not too expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesilver View Post
Thanks again for all the replies and advice, it is all greatly appreciated very much.
I think i have now pretty much decided to settle on a SkyWatcher 10" Dobsonian with goto.
I guess without sounding silly, with any accessories that i purchase, i want them to be firstly compatible with the Dobsonian,
But i also want them to be of the best or pretty close to the best quality, mainly so that latter on if i do have to upgrade to a better eyepiece or anything, i won't be buying the same piece twice if that makes sense.

So it looks like i will need a collimation tool, i don't mind taking the extra time to setup everything perfect and spot on, so any recommendations for this would be appreciated.

Also the scope finder, a few have recommended a laser or red dot version.

I am not sure yet on eyepieces, the ones listed was only what the store recommended to me.
I am firstly planning out to start with just planet viewing and them move from there, at least this stage anyway until i learn more.

Always appreciate any advice
Thanks.
Peter.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:44 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

If you're getting a goto scope, I personally wouldn't bother upgrading the finderscope. I've found I use it to get the alignment stars accurately centred, but then generally don't use it again for the rest of the night unless I have to realign the scope, which doesn't happen all that often.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:20 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Peter,

Upgrading the finderscope will probably not be a priority right now as Patrick as mentioned . You can use the finderscope that comes with the scope.

I do find the red dot finder/telrad easier to align things with for me. I generally use both to find something quickly. Globular clusters I find easier in the finder scope to find. Alignment stars easier with the rdf.

I guess its more to priorities and what makes life easier for you.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:21 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Hi,
I can see both sides of the opinions there and both make sense,
I also plan to use the goto manually as well to help me in the learning process as silly as it sounds.
I can see that a red dot finder will help pinpoint the desired object and help align it up a tad easier, at least that is how i read it.

The standard eye pieces are Plossl 10 and 25mm
Are there cheap a good brands of 2x barlow eye pieces?, i did search around a bit and they seam to vary quiet a bit, i figured there might be a brand of barlow that is more preferred to than others and is a good match for the 10" Dobsonian.
Just for example, SkyWatcher or Celestron Omni
http://www.ozscopes.com.au/catalogse...t/?q=2x+barlow

I did see a few mention that they haven't heard of the fine tuning rings, which to me sounds like something i should be staying away from if they are not widely known.

Here is what they sent to be in regards to them,

With default eyepiece, you will be getting 48x and 120x magnification.

With the 5mm eyepiece, you will be getting 240x magnification.
If you use the 14mm fine tuning ring, it will become 4mm focal length and you will get 300x magnification.
If you use the 28mm fine tuning ring, it will become 3.2mm focal length and you will get 375x magnification.
If you use both fine tuning ring together, it will become 2.6mm focal length and you will get 461x magnification.

You are essentially getting 4 different kind of eyepiece if you purchase both the fine tuning ring.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:49 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

I have a suspiscion the fine tuning rings are used more for astrophotography. I've never heard of anyone using either the Baader Hyperions or the fine tuning rings with a dob. With the skywatchers, the 16", and possibly the 14", can have the clutches loosened to use manually, but I know with my 8" that slewing manually is very difficult.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:16 PM
TwistedRider (Drew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseous View Post
With the skywatchers, the 16", and possibly the 14", can have the clutches loosened to use manually, but I know with my 8" that slewing manually is very difficult.

The 10" instructions clearly state is can by moved manually
No comments on how easily...That remains to be seen.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:05 PM
m11 (Mel)

I have found the orion dobs have clutches that you can loosen and are easy to move up and down.

The sky-watcher do not have these clutches and I find it harder to move manually - a lot of friction. Need to use the motors to move it manually.

m11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedRider View Post
The 10" instructions clearly state is can by moved manually
No comments on how easily...That remains to be seen.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:40 AM
gaseous (Patrick)

Yes, the skywatchers up to 12" have the clutches internally, so they're not particularly smooth to move by hand. The 14 and 16 have the clutch releases externally, and are very easy to move once released. You can still probably slew a 10" by hand, but it'll become more difficult at high mags.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:55 AM
bluesilver (Peter)

Hi,
Thanks again for the replies, very much appreciated.
It would be nice if i could find a 10 Dobsonian with goto but as a solid tube rather than collapsible in Australia, still searching on that one.
I see that Orion make them, but yet to find an Australian dealer.

I have now have heaps of information to research up on and thanks heaps for all the help and support to get me this far,
It is very much appreciated for sure.
Thanks.
Peter.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:08 PM
raymo

Why on earth would you want the solid tube? I can't think of a single benefit
apart from I think a bit cheaper.
raymo
Old 10-07-2018, 05:25 PM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

FWIW I had an 8" collapsible dob, and it was easier to lug around than a solid tube, took up less room in storage and the struts were useful when nudging/pulling the scope to track objects in the eyepiece. No problems with holding collimation either...

The mirror in this scope was probably about average, but I had a set of Catseye collimation tools that I'm certain enabled me to get the most out of it. This is pretty expensive kit, but it allows you to set up the secondary and primary mirrors with a high degree of precision. I also had a Nagler 13mm eyepiece, and the views with this (also expensive!) were just stunning.

These accessories might have cost a lot to get together, but I was really happy with the views. The overall improvement in my scope's performance due to improvements in collimation (compared to before the catseye gear) was somewhere around 15-20%. Using the nagler blew my socks off, and it really took things into another league compared to using my previous eyepieces (GSO and the like). I won't put a percentage on it, because it became a much more immersive and engaging experience...

I tend towards the philosophy of "buy once, buy well" as much as possible, but it does make things expensive initially. However, you get what you pay for, and the pleasure of using well engineered gear is something I really appreciate.

Last edited by morls; 10-07-2018 at 05:45 PM. Reason: added collimation/eyepiece comments
Old 10-07-2018, 06:48 PM
doppler (Rick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Why on earth would you want the solid tube? I can't think of a single benefit
apart from I think a bit cheaper.
raymo

Hi Raymo, one thing you can do is to put tube rings on a solid tube Dob and make it into a multi-function Eq Dob. I use mine on the Eq mount for imaging and on the Dob base for viewing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (pier mounted.jpg)
198.9 KB13 views
Old 10-07-2018, 07:24 PM
RobNevyn (Rob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesilver View Post
Hi,
Thanks again for the replies, very much appreciated.
It would be nice if i could find a 10 Dobsonian with goto but as a solid tube rather than collapsible in Australia, still searching on that one.
I see that Orion make them, but yet to find an Australian dealer.

I have now have heaps of information to research up on and thanks heaps for all the help and support to get me this far,
It is very much appreciated for sure.
Thanks.
Peter.
I recently bought the Skywatcher 10" Collapsible but without the Goto (due to budget), I am loving it so far.
If you are concerned about not having a full tube just buy the light shroud that suits the 10" collapsible (about $56) for the same result. Collimation is no problem and it is super convenient being able to collapse it down for moving and storage.
Good luck and enjoy whatever way you go.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:05 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Thanks again for all the replies and suggestions.
Going with a SkyWatcher 10" collapsible with goto.
Just in the process now of sorting through accessories like eye pieces and the like.