Old 31-01-2019, 02:54 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Solar filters

Hi Guys
This is a question for the solar observers out there, though i think I already know the answer. Is the DayStar ERF compatible with PST mods, my guess being that they are basically the same as Baader ERF and others, in being an 35 nm Ha broadband filter.
I ask because I see that OPT in the USA have some quite tasty pricing on the DayStars at the moment but is interesting that the 105 is cheaper than the 100 and the 90, maybe a typo.

Cheers
Old 31-01-2019, 03:21 PM
Marke (Mark)

Daystar ERF are just basically coloured glass more or less but they work and my understanding is the Baader is much better optical glass but expensive as you have to factor in the holder as well.
I read a comparison somewhere and the difference visually was the Baader images were noticeably better.
Old 31-01-2019, 09:35 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Thanks for the feedback Mark, I already have an 90mm Baader ERF and am wondering if a step up in aperture is worth it using an DayStar ERF. Machining the cell is not a problem for me, made the one for the Baader with the help of a friends lathe.
Actually just checked the price of the 110 Baader from Teleskop Express and it is probably a bit cheaper than the DayStar anyway if I decide to upgrade.
Old 31-01-2019, 09:54 PM
Marke (Mark)

The TS Baader does not include the mounting frame just the glass so if you can make the holder it will work out a bit more cost effective
Old 31-01-2019, 09:57 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Jeff, I haven't seen the full transmission specs for the Daystar ERF, but I'd be surprised if they only have a 35nm bandwidth.....
http://www.icstars.com/Store/daystar...l-and-cap.html

Last edited by Merlin66; 31-01-2019 at 09:59 PM. Reason: info added
Old 31-01-2019, 11:41 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Thanks again guys, the DayStar is probably fine quality and is a little cheaper than the Baader but with the known quality of the Baader I would probably go with it when and if I were to go ahead with upsizing. It is hard to find much in the way of specs on the ERFs', possibly protecting against cheap clones. Any market out there for an 90mm ERF.

Cheers