ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-01-2015, 08:42 AM
rcheshire (Rowland)

Small connector question - electronics

Hi. This is an electronics question about connectors...

I have redesigned the cooling control for my coldfinger DSLR mod and want to use connectors along one edge so that I can disconnect things such as temperature sensors and dew heaters - making the unit portable.

The board is 100 x 35 double sided and loaded with components, so space is tight. I have avoided SMD, but if that's a better idea I have attached the schematic for suggestions - parts etc.

Current through the connectors max 1A. 2 pin and 3 pin - JP1 JP2 JP3 JP4, on the schematic.

While I have a pretty good idea about most parts added to the board, connectors are a bit of mystery, aside from the usual header foot prints - connectors are likely to have a case and take up room as I don't want parts protruding externally.

I would like to keep things low profile. A 1" OLED screen overlays a number of components.

Any suggestions as to a small neat type of connector (clip type?), suppliers, Eagle CAD reference, etc?

Any suggestions help will be most appreciated.

Many thanks

Rowland
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSLRCooling.png)
60.5 KB22 views

Last edited by rcheshire; 26-01-2015 at 10:45 PM.
Old 26-01-2015, 05:43 PM
rcheshire (Rowland)

http://www.molex.com/molex/products/...e=Introduction

http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/5037630291_sd.pdf

These would seem to be the most readily available?
Old 29-01-2015, 10:54 PM
rcheshire (Rowland)

I found a pile of stuff on RS online - free postage, so bought most components from them. The Molex pico EZmate and Lite-trap connectors look good. I found the IRFS7430-7PPbf there as well - Rds on at 6v, 0.9milliohm. Lots of goodies - SMD 6A resettable fuses.
This project will use some through hole and some SMD - passive components, size 1206, which is about as small as I want to manage. The ICs are D2PAK with various lead counts. Happily I was also able to find 1206 100nh wire wound inductors. I was contemplating surface mounting a Mega32U4 IC, but when adding all the peripheries, USB and so on fixing a Teensy 2.0 to the board takes up marginally little more space - not worth the effort.

http://au.rs-online.com/web/

I forgot the 5v connection in the schematic - all fixed now.