Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 27-08-2014, 09:00 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Got a bit of a bargain..

I seem to be going down the refractor path. I am going to be using the Lunt 102ED as an imaging scope with either the DSLR or the ZWO and the 80mm f5 as a guide scope but I also like to visually keep an eye on the target. So last night I sprung for a Skywatcher 80mm f11.4 on an AZ3(?) tripod.

It will give me the visual I want plus be useful as a solar\lunar\planetary scope with a longer focal length. The tripod has flexi-stalk controls, and a proper dovetail head, something my modified camera tripod hasn't so that will now be part of the grab & go kit. No finder, no diagonal and only 1 EP (of unkown fl). I already have these spare.

Over here a new one is listed at $789, second hand about $350. Landed this one at $150. The two 80mm's will live side by side on top of the Lunt.

Rain was already predicted so it doesn't matter ...
Old 27-08-2014, 11:10 AM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

A bargain indeed!
Old 27-08-2014, 12:20 PM
Monstar (Johnny)

Being out of work at the moment (well nearly a year and a half now thanks to a certain state politician I will not name, and some quite bad health issues) I keep an eye out for real bargains, especially after reading great stories like yours and others on here, in garage sales and places like Gumtree.

I had never used Gumtree before but can't believe what some people are asking for second hand stuff even if it's been covered in cotton wool and never used before. Why would you pay $20 cheaper than new for a Celestron 5se, anything could be/go wrong and you have no warranty etc

The best one was for a used Heritage 130p (same as mine) for $400!!!! The most expensive I've seen them are $270 and the cheapest $245 brand new. The seller even worded it to sound like he was throwing the EPs and RDF in at his own expense and not they were already included.

I really feel for someone who thinks they are getting a bargain or even paying a good price for something only to find out they've been ripped off. These sites should really have a 'remarks' or Q&A section.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:47 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

OK, so my bargain buy finally arrived, some delivery cost problems due to size.
But boy, am I happy. This thing is brand new as far as I can tell. Not a scratch on it and still wrapped in factory plastic and millions of foam chips.
Chucked a diag on and a spare finder scope. 20SV EP then went and blinded myself on the moon !! First proper AZ tripod I've had and actually works quite well for just panning around the sky. Couldn't see any CA on the moon although a video stack might show it up I'd guess but I'm quite impressed with the sharpness. Especially in the full moon LP. Saturn and Mars at 200x looking good considering low west over roofs.