Old 11-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Adam,

Before I caved in and bought the STL-11000M, I was tossing up the 8300 colour system.

I was advised that I would be better off getting the monochrome version as it is a large percentage more sensitive.

I just feel that you might save a few bucks if you stick with DSLR and take a few images with it before you decide.

I personally spent almost five years on training wheels with the DSLR and I think I got some nice images out of it. Yes, you're right, imaging in summer with a DSLR is a nightmare. I was out at JohnG's place one night during summer and it was 27 degrees at midnight. I was almost embarrassed by the amount of noise that was on my image, even after calibrating with 16 x 600 second dark frames.

I feel that with the best time of year coming up, really cut your teeth with the DSLR and your new gear during winter, then decide if moving to a less sensitive (but, less noise) colour system is worth it over a monochrome system.

Just my $0.02

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by adman View Post
can you please elaborate on this for me H.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Tandum (Robin)

So you jumped from a DSLR to an 11000M. That's no small step, that's one giant leap !!!

I don't know of anyone who hasn't gone to mono via a cooled OSC. I do know of 2 people who jumped from DSLR to mono and then jumped back to cooled OSC. You're a rare breed H.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:40 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Robin,

I am a rare breed, indeed. I've made 1 image in a year. Quality over quantity? I can only hope!

I honestly felt ready, though. I know the processing side of things in Photoshop after years of photography, and it was just a matter of getting adjusted to new imaging/control software.

H
Old 11-03-2011, 11:55 PM
Tandum (Robin)

'You knew photoshop after years of photography'. That would have to be a sort of a leg up I guess
I do remember even Doug throwing his hands in the air and dumped mono for OSC a while back.
For us mear mortals, it really is a bit of a process
Old 12-03-2011, 06:56 AM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandum View Post
So you jumped from a DSLR to an 11000M. That's no small step, that's one giant leap !!!

I don't know of anyone who hasn't gone to mono via a cooled OSC. I do know of 2 people who jumped from DSLR to mono and then jumped back to cooled OSC. You're a rare breed H.
H is not such a rare breed
I jumped from an dslr to an mono cooled ccd an am loving it.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:11 AM
Hagar (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandum View Post
'You knew photoshop after years of photography'. That would have to be a sort of a leg up I guess
I do remember even Doug throwing his hands in the air and dumped mono for OSC a while back.
For us mear mortals, it really is a bit of a process

Your not wrong Robin. The jump is a big one but I really think it is not an insumountable jump. The biggest step is the extra time required for good capture and the extended processing of 4 sets of light frames against the one set with a OSC.
I still believe the images captured with a OSC can be of as good a quality as the mono, or at least very near as long as the total exposure time is similar.
The likes of Tom Davis who uses a mono camera for his luminance and NB and a OSC for his RGB images stands as testament to this fact. The biggest thing which attracts people to OSC is the camera can produce quite acceptable images in a very short time with a small amount of processing.

My advice would still be a mono but be prepared to get some very good software with it if you want the very best images.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:47 AM
adman (Adam)
Seriously Amateur

My reasoning at the moment for considering OSC goes something like this:

I started off with an EQ5 mount, and most of the time I was just battling against the equipment to get a decent image. I felt more like a mechanic than a imager. With my current camera, I also feel that I am battling the equipment again - sure it is possible to get decent images - but only after a LOT more work than if you just had reasonable, clean data to begin with.

I reckon the biggest part of getting a good image is in post-processing, and that's what I want to concentrate on learning next, and I can do that quite happily for a while with a colour CCD.

Thanks for your replies so far everyone - this has been a very interesting thread!

Adam
Old 12-03-2011, 01:08 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

I am just graduating from DSLR to OSC as we speak.

QHY10 arrived mid-week. Have spent the last few nights "learning the ropes" and hope to capture some photons tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (New-Camera.jpg)
196.4 KB126 views
Old 12-03-2011, 04:32 PM
OzRob (Rob)

I jumped from DSLR straight to mono after only using the DSLR for a few months. This was mainly due to the camera that I was using being totally unacceptable. I don't think the capturing of the data is that much different between the two. Mono just takes longer. Actually mono (over DSLR) is easier for me as it can be automated.

If you are concerned about the processing you could always have a go with someone else's data and see how you go. The Misti Mountain Observatory site has a tutorial and plenty of data to play with.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:40 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzRob View Post
The Misti Mountain Observatory site has a tutorial and plenty of data to play with.
Great link, thanks!
Old 13-03-2011, 11:07 AM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by adman View Post
... I am finding my 550D is not worth bothering with during the summer with sensor temps up in the mid-high 30's it's more noise than signal
Same here...high ambient and sensor temps are a real pain.http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/....s/sad_eyes.gif