Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31-08-2019, 10:28 AM
Nino (John Peacock)

Help Please Can't Get Colour

I am having trouble getting colour out of my photos. I use a ASI1600 MM pro with a filter wheel R/G/B UV/IR HA filters. Images acquired using Sharpcap and saved as fits files. The target was NGS5128 I have 30 images each of 10 seconds, Red,Blue and Green. Binning 4, Colour space mono16. I have stacked the images in Deep Sky Stacker, when I open my stacked photos in Photoshop and they are recognised as RGB16, I also have Startools I have watched many videos on YouTube and I can't work out what I'm doing wrong, any suggestions would be much appreciated.I am not after perfection yet I just want to get colour. The picture below is what the file looks like after I have stacked in DSS. I am not worried about the movement on the edges that is caused by the fact I am using a fork mounted scope. Cheers John
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (dss.jpg)
42.9 KB26 views

Last edited by Nino; 31-08-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 31-08-2019, 07:14 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Try aligning all your images after registering only in DSS . Then register to the best frame ,selected as reference frame, with the most stars after registration. Then register and stack the reds with darks to a single fits red frame using the same reference frame. . Same with LGB.

Then try NEBULOSITY trial, image, LRGB combination to combine DSS fits saved files. Simple way to get it to work before saving as a 16 bit TIF and opening in PS.

After that you can play with Pixelinsight and others. NEBULOSITY is an easy start and you can develop and stretch if you have enough ram. If it crashes, just power stretch only.
Old 31-08-2019, 11:09 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Ps. There are techniques for combining your aligned and stacked frames in PS but they are a little complex. See here:
http://astronomollylog.blogspot.com/...ages-with.html

They can also be combined as a quick trial in a trial version of Pixinsight using the LRGB process (see the LIght Vortex tutorial) but this can be even more complex if you follow the complete tutorial guides. Better results if you have the time.

https://www.lightvortexastronomy.com...luminance.html
Old 02-09-2019, 09:30 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

What you are doing wrong is I think a misunderstanding of what you expect. A One Shot Colour(OSC) camera captures colour images but you need to debayer to get the colour. What you are doing is capturing greyscale (or black and white if you prefer) through colour filters. All correct so far. Maybe you expect the result of capturing through a Red filter to be a Red coloured image? Nope you still get a greyscale image no matter what filter you use. The colourspace is usually also set to be greyscale in the saved image. You need to convert the image to RGB colourspace then work on each channel by copying your filtered greyscale images to the appropriate colour channel. So the Red filtered images you combined and stacked to produce a grey image gets copied to the red channel of a blank image, the green filtered to the green channel, blue to blue. then this image will become full colour. There are different types of colourspaces and different ways to combine your filtered captures into an RGB file of some sort (ie colour). look into tutorials on doing this for the software you have.

So good news your captures are great, keep them safe, now just work out how to combine them and yes you can mix and match any of the filtered captures into any colour channel to get funky colour results start with getting your red green and blue captures copied into those channels of a single file first and go from there.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:54 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Are you using a One Shot Colour or is it a monochrome sensor?

The process will vary depending on which one.

Try these tutorials.

https://astrobackyard.com/deep-sky-stacker-settings/

If it is monochrome, is your filter wheel actually moving from one slot to another during the capture process?
Old 02-09-2019, 01:53 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

I think the OP is fairly clear it is an ASI 1600 mm , so monochrome, with filter wheels and the individual groups of shots are LRGB +, although 10 sec seems very quick for this camera.

Stacking in PS is no trivial matter as Steve describes even if , as it appears is the case, the DSS stacking has been done to create separate Files for each of LRGB and they have been all stacked with a common reference frame, which is essential.

I have used the tutorials I linked and it is still very hard to get the alignment perfect in PS.

Where in Nebulosity ( or Pi) if the frames have been stacked in to each colour and luminance using a common reference frame in DSS, it is as easy as using LRGB combination and a little stretch to get an idea of how it looks, before going on to more detailed processing.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:07 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Here are two shots of the Cats Paw stacked to a common reference frame in DSS for each colour and then dropped straight into the LRGB combine function, one of Nebulosity and one of Pixelinsight without much further processing except a little stretching. After that a little curve and smoothing in PS.

Not much of an astrophotograph really but these were a first attempt with under 10 each of each colour in 2min shots at 139 gain with an Asi 1600 uncooled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (EC78637D-D9F9-4334-AB16-E5DC7F70A913.jpg)
204.7 KB16 views
Click for full-size image (B9210FDB-53EE-4926-B8B0-885095A0AC1E.jpg)
177.0 KB16 views
Old 04-09-2019, 09:43 AM
Nino (John Peacock)

Thank you Ray and Steve, after many hours spent at the computer I was able to get colour out of my Centaurua A shot. It is not perfect but I will work on perfection as time goes by. Thank you once again for your help. Cheers John.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:49 AM
Nino (John Peacock)

Centaurus A
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (CentaurusA.jpg)
32.0 KB27 views
Old 05-09-2019, 06:09 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Well done. You have colour.

When you export an image for posting make it a little larger say, limit to 500 or even 800 k. IIS seems to reduce to the correct size It will be interesting to see what you have in a bigger picture.

I Have noticed that DSS may not always produce the correct new images for saving if it runs out of memory, so you end up with the same image repeated. So open with Fits Liberator if it is a Fits ( download it if you are saving to 12bit fits) and check. You should use it to check all of your fits subs in case one is very bad before stacking, and it will tell you what the background value is. Others who know more than me on this site have posted what those values should be for an ASI 1600 so you know how long to expose for. Some of mine seem too short and some too long , depending on the moon and light pollution.

Also make sure you have save each of the separate colour stacks in the same list to the same reference file , even if it is not checked so aligning is already done, and make sure you save without any adjustment, as this is better done in other programs such as Nebulosity or PI when combining with their method.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:19 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Read this at some point when you want to get the exposures better
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...=155908&page=2