ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-08-2019, 07:23 PM
muletopia (Chris)
Want to do better

Ubuntu boot problem

Hello,
For some time now I have experienced a problem with Ubutu booting.

Setup:
Win 7 dual boot Ubuntu 16.04 32 bit.

Win 7 will always boot correctly

The boot up screen lists Ubuntu first.
If it is left to boot Ubuntu by default or if enter is struck the problem arises:
very often on the first attempt to boot a Ubuntu purple screen with a coloured stippled line results.
If the system is rebooted it always succeeds

in starting Ubuntu

The system disc is about 70% full and there is plenty of memory (15.7 gig)
I tried replacing the bios battery but this had no effect.

Any suggestions as to what is the problem or how to track it down would be very much appreciated as I do dark subtraction and stacking in Siril before going to Nebulosity for stretching.

Chris
Old 27-08-2019, 08:57 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Sounds like you may be using hdmi/tv for a screen. You are describing an issue I've only ever seen with hdmi display setups.
Old 27-08-2019, 11:10 AM
muletopia (Chris)
Want to do better

Thanks Steve,
Monitor
Benq GW2765 HT

Which is indeed a HDMI monitor.
My desktop mother board does not support 4K HDMI so I drive it by data cable

which does support the resolution.

Is there a fix for this problem?

Chris
Old 29-08-2019, 11:26 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

not that I know of. My understanding is its partly not standards for a minimum hdmi display that is universal and possibly no room to add in bios. whereas computers long ago incorporated a minimum vga spec in the bios and monitors would understand that signal to display. you need display drivers for the communication to the display, plus hdmi allows two way communication and computers dont understand how to listen to that from a display. Its also why you shouldn't connect hdmi cable while one device is turned on as it'll be sending power and you can short one or both devices. I get a similar problem in my home theatre and rebooting my media player is all thats needed, happens periodically so could be a signal buffering issue where once corrupt can only be fixed by turning off and on again. In your case I might be inclined to investigate a video converter/switch box that can translate from computer to display, when you watch a computer monitor on computer turn on you'll see it flicks a few times between resolution (usually a blank screen) before you reach your desktop where the graphics drivers are fully loaded, I suspect this is where the corruption occurs over hdmi as it isn't expecting to get different resolution signals sent so rapidly whereas vga/dvi have the default vga resolution built into the spec. not all hdmi products have implemented the hdmi standard completely either, they may have cut corners and until your computer has loaded the desktop fully neither the graphic card nor the display device know how to communicate on a common level yet, its the graphic drivers that control that and they only get loaded at the desktop phase and are not used during boot up usually, prefering to stay on vga until better is needed. *nix varients often load a higher resolution common driver early on to make it easy to display and read output messages during boot. If you do look for video converter unit, do not buy cheap ebay garbage as you're more likely to have the same issue for the same reasons of corner cutting and hdmi version implementations.
Old 29-08-2019, 02:21 PM
muletopia (Chris)
Want to do better

Thank you for that explanation Steve.
I did try a dvi connection last night but the problem persisted.
So I guess that the problem is at the monitor end.
I will just put up with the inconvenience.

Chris
Old 30-08-2019, 02:55 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

I assumed you'd done the obvious of making sure the graphics card was seated and secured with its screw to the chassis backplane and cables are solidly seated and if available also screwed in place to their sockets. Likewise gfx card has proper power connector (if it requires one) and your psu has enough power to feed to all components?
Old 05-09-2019, 08:01 PM
muletopia (Chris)
Want to do better

Steve,
No graphics card just motherboard. So I just pressed on all likely looking components.

Had to restart with a boot disc to re-enable the discs and all is well.
No problem since so thanks for your last post.

Chris