Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2010, 10:05 AM
h0ughy (David)

I still will get the switch changed at some time, i am sure that at some critical point it will fail
Old 12-02-2010, 10:47 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
That particular switch was phased out many years ago as, yes, it does burn out (the higher current draw of the servo's was not anticipated)

Newer revision PCB's use a totally different (high current) switch.

You can either replace it yourself, or send it to a servicing Losmandy dealer
( no prizes) who will replace it for $37.00 (inc return post)
Peter,

I will send it the next full moon, the switch buggered up again tonight but eventually turned on - then so did the weather. Can you post what the new switch will look like - is it bigger? Also Can you PM me the address to send it
Old 14-02-2010, 09:26 PM
h0ughy (David)

I'll send it tomorrow - given the weeks forecast will be rain and showers every day - it doesnt look promising
Old 31-08-2019, 01:42 PM
thomqos (Russell)

Reviving a very old thread; Tried to power up my G11S Model 492 drive last night after 10 months of no use... Nothing! Absolutely nothing!!! So I had to play the dobsonian game for the night and push the mount around.

I got this mount in 2013-14 and the switch has always been a bit dicky, exactly as others have described below. But last night it didn't want to play the game, I was suspecting a more serious electronic problem actually.

So I found this thread, pulled the circuit board out of it's box and toggled the switch back and forth furiously about 50 times... Then it finally turned on! Oh how frustrating.!!

So I'm off to Jaycar to see if I can source a replacement switch....
Old 31-08-2019, 03:09 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomqos View Post
Reviving a very old thread; Tried to power up my G11S Model 492 drive last night after 10 months of no use... Nothing! Absolutely nothing!!! So I had to play the dobsonian game for the night and push the mount around.

I got this mount in 2013-14 and the switch has always been a bit dicky, exactly as others have described below. But last night it didn't want to play the game, I was suspecting a more serious electronic problem actually.

So I found this thread, pulled the circuit board out of it's box and toggled the switch back and forth furiously about 50 times... Then it finally turned on! Oh how frustrating.!!

So I'm off to Jaycar to see if I can source a replacement switch....
Might want to talk to Brendan (wasyoungonce)
Old 31-08-2019, 04:38 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Russell i's the switch as usual. The contacts just go bad, quite normal in DC switches.

OEM is C&K Switch 1101M2S3CBE2. That's a silver plated contact....I do believe there are gold plated contact versions available (which should last longer) but I haven't seen any of these.

Best just replace with the OEM:
RS Components: 161-7640 $6.41 or E14: 1437698 $9.44 + $post There are cheaper switches that would fit....but...IMHO...use to correct one. If you solder it in....Keep heat on the pins to a minimum as heat allows contaminates to form on the contacts.

I have one new in my spares. Same switch was used in some earlier Gemini 1's. If you want me to replace it I can as I'm keen to get a copy of the EEPROM firmware. I have all parts for the 492 system except the firmware.
Old 31-08-2019, 09:43 PM
thomqos (Russell)

Thanks for the part number Brendan! Jaycar had nothing remotely like it. I might buy a few...
I'm handy with a soldering iron, so I'll be right to replace it myself, but thanks for the offer.
You're welcome to copy the firmware if we ever bump into each other with an EEPROM firmware reader, lol!
Old 04-09-2019, 08:39 PM
thomqos (Russell)

I ordered 3 of the OEM switches from Radio Spares & they turned up today... But I have 'fixed' the original switch for now... Anyway, I have the spares now to deal with the inevitable when it happens!