Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-01-2015, 03:28 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Horsehead Nonsense and Sense

This may have been posted before, but...

What a refreshing read!!!

http://freescruz.com/~4cygni/haggisi...o/HH-sense.htm
Old 21-01-2015, 05:09 PM
Crux (Hayden)

Thanks for posting.

Hayden
Old 21-01-2015, 07:52 PM
ralph1
cloud magnet

Very interesting, and I agree with what it said. Personally I was able to see it in a 130mm reflector but only on a very good night.
Old 22-01-2015, 07:25 AM
N1 (Mirko)

I found this after a little search I did after repeatedly reading comments on various fora suggesting that it's bigger than you think versus you must have at least [enter huge value here] inches of aperture. From the article it appears the only must-haves for IC434 if not the horse itself are a dark sky with excellent transparency and a certain exit pupil size. And maybe an appropriate filter. Magnification, and therefore aperture, seems to get 4th priority at best . Can't wait to put that to the test...
Old 22-01-2015, 05:48 PM
geolindon (Lindon)

interesting and technical thread. i have dark skies on the coastal range in a high rain fall area.

i tried several times with my stock standard 8" sky watcher and TMB 100 9 mm / 25 mm cheap plossl. with out seeing the broader area of nebulousness. causing me to double check i was looking in the right place. also i was unaware of it's (apparent) degree of difficulty.

the very first time i tried with the GSO 16" and same ep, there it was, faint and translucent/transparent but easily seen AND right where it should be clouds interfered with attempts to id the actual horsie, a Y2C to look foward to.
Lindon
Old 22-01-2015, 06:32 PM
geolindon (Lindon)

interesting and technical thread. i have dark skies on the coastal range in a high rain fall area.

i tried several times with my stock standard 8" sky watcher and TMB 100 9 mm / 25 mm cheap plossl. with out seeing the broader area of nebulousness. causing me to double check i was looking in the right place. also i was unaware of it's (apparent) degree of difficulty.

the very first time i tried with the GSO 16" and same ep, there it was, faint and translucent/transparent but easily seen AND right where it should be clouds interfered with attempts to id the actual horsie, a Y2C to look foward to.
Lindon