Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2018, 06:34 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Question mechanical advice

Hi All,

I'm after a bit of advice about a 2008 Kia Rondo, which I am servicing for my sister-in-law. I'm mechanically competent but not up to date on these new fangled contraptions. Since I don't know the service history I thought I would replace the brake fluid. However the brakes aren't plumbed quite as I expected. There are two pipes coming from the master cylinder which go into a metal block, with 4 pipes leaving this block and going to the wheels. I guess that is part of the brake proportioning and antilock system.

My question is: can I bleed these brakes just as I would on an older car (eg 70's Holden, 78 series landcruiser)?

The other thing is the disc pads. The rear pads have about 2mm wear left. When are they due for replacement?

Thanks for the usual IIS expertise on anything and everything .
Old 08-12-2018, 07:44 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Consult utube.
I just did and there are many movies on that cars brakes so many that I think it is best you dort thru but I suspect it will all be there.
Alex
Old 08-12-2018, 08:48 PM
john guy (John)
Jupiter 2

brakes

If the rear brake pads are at 2mm thickness, yes replace. as for bleeding the brakes that may require to be done at a dealer due to the abs that may be required bleed via pcm connected to workshop computer. best talk to kia dealer first as some times a little fiddle can result in more cost
regards J G
Old 08-12-2018, 09:47 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

+1 What John said. If no air entered the abs part then you're good to go otherwise you need to pressure bleed and you can't do that yourself. That's brake we're talking about. You want a pro to do that.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:59 AM
RyanJones

Hi David,

Firstly I'll state my credentials. I've been a mechanic for 20years and still am.

The block you are taking about that the lines from the master cylinder go too is indeed the ABS module. There is no need to be scared by these systems if you are competent with older systems. Mercedes Benz Sensotronic Brake Control is a prime example of a system you shouldn't touch unless you absolutely understand the system but your sister-in-law's Kia is still much like 90% of cars on the road. The ABS pump and module simply creates reserve pressure to be able to interrupt brake pressure and return it as it pulses the brake system during loss of traction with wheel lock up or to a specific caliper to assist in controlling the vehicle if it has Stability Control. Essentially when you are not in either of those situations, the block simply acts as a fluid pressure distributor.

As has been stated, the only thing you really want to avoid is introducing air to the system by not keeping the resivior topped up while you're bleeding them. The ABS pump then becomes a pain in the bum to bleed. Not impossible and certainly easier to pressure fill but not a concern if you avoid air ingress to start with.

As with older systems, start bleeding from the caliper furthest away from the brake master cylinder and work towards the closest.

As has also been stated though, it's brakes, be careful and if you're not 100% confident, get a mechanic to take care of that bit for you.

2mm of the rear pads - yes it's time to change them. Again something you may not have come across before is hand brakes that operate on the caliper. The Kia may or may not have these. If it does, the wind back procedure is totally different to a normal caliper...... But that's a story for another day.....

Ryan
Old 09-12-2018, 09:18 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Great post Ryan. Bookmarked.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:07 PM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Great post Ryan. Bookmarked.
Cheers Marc more than happy to help
Old 10-12-2018, 09:28 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Thanks for all the replies, particularly Ryan.

In the end I've given it to a mechanic. All going well I could have done the job but if there was an issue it would take me time to sort it out, especially as I haven't changed a brake pad since the mid-80s (the HJ47 was all drums and I haven't had to touch the HJ78). It was booked in to get the air con fixed anyway, so I added the brakes to the job.

And with the time I saved I got a pile of mulching done .