Old 23-07-2017, 07:27 PM
Crushellon (Tim)

HEQ5 update/control cable

Hi guys, been out of the game for a while but I just picked up an HEQ5 so I can start imaging again. I was intending on just using the hand controller and no guiding cause I figure I can get ok results with that setup for short focal lengths.
Issue is though, the hand controller has never been updated it seems and doesn't have the polar align option in the alignment menu. I use my laptop for image capture anyway so, is there a cable I can buy to just bypass the hand controller and go direct from pc-mount? On my old NEQ6 it was just a plain old rs-232 to USB, but the HEQ5 hasn't got rs-232.. so do you need a controller box or something or can you use just a straight cable? I figure if I have to buy a cable to upgrade the handset anyway, I might as well just get a cable to go direct from the pc to the mount.

Otherwise, someone that is located northside brisbane that has the ability to upgrade the handset for me would be appreciated?

Thanks, Tim
Old 23-07-2017, 07:53 PM
COSMOPARADISE (Nick)
Nick Ulich

Hey Tim, I have just got myself one of these from the UK. Allows direct connection to the laptop either through a USB hub at your mount or a USB extension cable to the laptop. It has eliminated many of the connection issues I had with EQDIR-RS232-USB-LAPTOP connection. Ended up about $95 delivered but well worth it. It connected straight away, is very sturdy and I recommend it.
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky...q8-mounts.html

Last edited by COSMOPARADISE; 23-07-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 24-07-2017, 07:13 AM
doppler (Rick)

Bintel have the cables for $75

https://www.bintel.com.au/product/sh...eq5-interface/
Old 24-07-2017, 08:54 AM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

the bluetooth module is the same price as the cable, so if you dont want to have to deal with cables its always an option for laptops with bluetooth receivers. Theres also one on sale currently for $50 in classified.
Old 24-07-2017, 01:34 PM
raymo

Your HEQ5, if bought new should have come with an updating cable that
plugs into the bottom of the hand controller, and is rs232 on the other
end. Modern laptops rarely have 232 any more, so you would need a
232/USB adaptor.
raymo
Old 24-07-2017, 04:00 PM
Crushellon (Tim)

Thanks guys. I ended up going with the bintel one. The one from the UK looked better quality, but I'm hoping to get up and running whilst the moon is still new.
Old 24-07-2017, 04:19 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Gday Tim
Quote:
I figure if I have to buy a cable to upgrade the handset anyway, I might as well just get a cable to go direct from the pc to the mount.
Just for info, as noted, there is a cable that came with the mount and is uses with a USB2rs232 converter to plug into the handbox.
This cable is what is used to update the Hbx firmware.

If you want to plug directly into the mount without the handbox ( ie using EQMod to run the mount ), you need a different cable as the comms are USB2TTL and the plug into the mount is wired differently.

Andrew
Old 24-07-2017, 07:45 PM
Crushellon (Tim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
Gday Tim

Just for info, as noted, there is a cable that came with the mount and is uses with a USB2rs232 converter to plug into the handbox.
This cable is what is used to update the Hbx firmware.

If you want to plug directly into the mount without the handbox ( ie using EQMod to run the mount ), you need a different cable as the comms are USB2TTL and the plug into the mount is wired differently.

Andrew

Yeh, I did know that. But I only realised today that it means I'm still left in my original predicament.... I can't use software to polar align. So either I need to get the cable to update the handset and use it to align, or wait till I get a guidecam. I've never even tried to use a polar scope before either, so that's not an option. I don't even know how you could see anything with the bright red light in there anyway...

Edit: oh yeh, and I don't have the cable that comes with the mount, picked it up second hand and it didn't have one.
Old 25-07-2017, 08:32 AM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Gday Tim
Quote:
I can't use software to polar align.
Why not????
If you use the cable direct to the mount ( ie no handbox at all ) then you must use EQMod and that covers everything the handbox can do plus more.
It is also ASCOM compatible so can be used with a planetarium quite easily to select align stars etc

Andrew
Old 25-07-2017, 09:03 AM
Crushellon (Tim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
Gday Tim

Why not????
If you use the cable direct to the mount ( ie no handbox at all ) then you must use EQMod and that covers everything the handbox can do plus more.
It is also ASCOM compatible so can be used with a planetarium quite easily to select align stars etc

Andrew
Because as far as I know with the software that I've used for polar alignment, they generally only run with web/guide cams not with dslr's. Doesn't matter now anyway as I ordered an asi120mm and guidescope. I wasn't going to get one straight away but I figured I was going to run one eventually so I might as well just run that setup now and be done with it.