Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 12-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Prickly

Save setting timelapse with DSI III to keep chip cooler

Hi all,

I find using the DSI III that it warms up 4 or 5 degrees when imaging. Last night ambient was around 4-5 degrees and the chip was around 9 degrees. I was wondering whether using the timelapse feature to enable a short delay between shots might help with this (?20-30sec) by giving the chip a chance to cool again between exposures.

Was wondering if anyone had tried this or does this. Do you think it would work? Any advice on optimal setting times would be helpful.

Cheers
David

Last edited by Prickly; 12-06-2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Further info
Old 12-06-2010, 09:59 PM
riklaunim

Sony CCDs are ok up to about 10C. Bit noisy up to 20C, and bad in higher temperatures. You can put a fan on the DSI back (either from Meade or self made) which will improve cooling to ambient.
Old 13-06-2010, 07:50 AM
Prickly

I agree. OK below 20 - above is a struggle. Below 10 is great but it has to be pretty cold to reach that (which it often is in canberra). I'd love to cool it 5 degrees or so.

The fan option is certainly a reasonably cheap one and worth considering although the DSI for some reason was made without a fan (Meade say because it doesnt need it I think). Has anyone strapped a fan to a DSI III? Interested in seeing how if there is an easy way - any photos or plans for doing this would be great.

If noone knows I'll try and do a little experiment some time to see if the time lapse helps. Not sure if it reduces the power (and therefore heat) of the ccd. Keeping a controlled temp environment will be the difficulty. I guess if theres not a significant temp difference of a couple of degrees or more theres probably little point. If it does a combination of fan and timelapse could be the way to go.

Cheers
David
Old 13-06-2010, 08:26 AM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

I tried the Meade fan on my DSI II pro - made no difference to the chip temperature. I'd get an outback cooler if I was worried about noise however I decided to get a QHY8 pro instead!
Old 13-06-2010, 10:33 AM
marki
Waiting for next electron

I have used both a fan and outback cooler on the DSI II pro. A fan can cause some vibration if it is run too fast and makes very little difference to chip temp. The outback coolers do the job but if you cool too far then you will have to deal with dew. The camera is not designed to be cooled.

Mark