Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 04-04-2021, 11:26 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Given that we're probably going to be doing this dance annually, like with flu shots, then I'm sure it will get better coordinated in the future.

The problem we have at the moment is limited supply. That will sort itself out with time.

We should not lose sight that getting a new vaccine to market and on a global scale is a mammoth task... but also don't forget that the risks of copping potentially life-long damage from this virus is far worse than a couple of days with a sore arm and a headache.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:56 PM
Finbar (Barry)

Aged 59, so must wait my turn. But duties sometimes include calls to visit nursing homes and hospitals, as well as dealing generally with ageing communities - so the sooner vaccinated the better. My sister in aged care has had Pfizer, and describes the day after the second as feeling like she’d been run over by a truck. Be prepared for taking a day off, I’d say.
The difficult logistics of the roll-out must be giving quite a few headaches; glad it's not me, and they won't get any grief from me. We have been fortunate up here with no real out break of Covid, so less of a priority, and will wait patiently.
On the other hand - we are cursed up here with a constant view of the nearest, biggest and brightest nebula of them all – the un-ending back of clouds! No wonder another astronomer quipped that Malanda (indeed much of the Atherton Tablelands) is the home of the world’s most optimistic astronomers. Oh, for days of blue skies and clear nights!
Old 05-04-2021, 11:04 PM
billdan (Bill)

I was in the Doctors last week getting a shingles inoculation. (You are supposed to get one after you turn 70yrs old).

I asked him about the Covid vaccine and the Doctor said it will be in May before he gets any.
Old 06-04-2021, 02:42 AM
glend (Glen)

The Fog of Misinformation

In response to Bill just below, and many others, I would suggest you chase the vaccine if you want it early and your in the current priority groups (1A and 1B). No one is forced to get it and if your happy to wait for whatever reason then that is fine.
The government eligibility checker, (link located here):

https://www.health.gov.au/initiative...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

is a good place to start. At the end of the questions in the checker, there is a post code checker that will show you a list of GP clinics participating in the vaccine rollout at the present time. You do not have to be a current patient of a GP practice to book in for the vaccine, and there is not suppose to be any discrimination in favour of current patients of a practice. It is OK to 'shop around', so to speak, among those nearest you, to find a booking.

Looking at the providers closest to Bill in Narangba, QLD, based on proximity, there are four close in but 20 listed further afield. Some of these do not have any current appointments available through the online booking system, however, if you search by "Earliest Available" a few have online appointments available within two days (Like North Rise Medical Centre, and the Morayfield Respiratory Clinic).

Do not overlook the Respiratory Clinic facilties, they are participating clinics for the Covid Vaccine rollout and likely do not have as much demand as local GPs.

Last edited by glend; 06-04-2021 at 02:56 AM.
Old 06-04-2021, 07:47 AM
billdan (Bill)

Thanks Glen, that's very kind of you to check that information for me. I will follow it up today.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:16 AM
Paul Haese

I had my first vaccine shot on Thursday. I am in 1b due to immune suppression drugs. Yesterday by 2pm I was feeling pretty average. Temperature, feeling like I had been beaten up, pretty achy. Lots of pandol and in bed by 9pm and I am starting to feel better. I imagine this is nothing compared to contracting Covid. Now 245 in the morning and can't sleep but can amuse myself in other ways.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:41 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Had my first shot on Thursday as well; similar to Paul... just felt very flat & achey within a few hours of the shot (I have the same reaction to Flu shot)... Now Saturday & feeling fine....

Only positive so far from being diagnosed with Prostate Cancer at 54 is getting bumped up the queue for vaccination... the rest of it sucks...
Old 10-04-2021, 10:52 AM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Got my 1st Pfizer on April 1st, joked that it was water...

No side effect, no illnes, no nothing... not even a sore arm. Conclusion... probably water

2nd shot on April 22.
Old 10-04-2021, 11:14 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Rang my GP for the second time in three weeks,but this time on a separate matter,but just asked about the Jab in the conversation.

Age 78, but nothing doing for either the Flu Jab or the Covid Jab
They are only getting 50 doses a week of the Covid Jab and I'm am way down the booking list.
The flu jab they don't have at all.
Good job I live in isolation and the SunShine Coast is a Low risk area.
I hope I get it before going to the UK next year if it is open for business.
Cheers
Old 10-04-2021, 02:33 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Ron, it's pretty ridiculous the low availability for the Sunshine Coast. My wife qualifies for the current phase but hasn't been able to book for it at all.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:34 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICURMT View Post
Got my 1st Pfizer on April 1st, joked that it was water...

No side effect, no illnes, no nothing... not even a sore arm. Conclusion... probably water

2nd shot on April 22.
Had a friend in Wisconsin have this - she had no issues with the first jab, but the second one wiped her out a bit. Prep for that.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:51 PM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
Had a friend in Wisconsin have this - she had no issues with the first jab, but the second one wiped her out a bit. Prep for that.
mwahahahaha .......

Joking