Old 26-08-2008, 12:49 PM
NickontheCoast

First few weeks observing....

My Dob was a birthday gift from my wife...she has now reached legend satus among my mates. And since then it's been some great nights observing. The moon put on a great show at my birthday bash...the scope was in use all night (well, until I thought it safer to put it away!), but the kids all had a great look at the moon, and stars. Jupiter turned it on also (for those without the wobbly boot on). Since then I have had a couple of great nights; clusters, Jupiter through the range of new eyepieces, the moon, even Mars in a hazy view). Now I guess I start to get serious and will be looking for more in the night sky. I grabbed the SkyWatcher eyepiece kit, lotsa swapping in and out so I hope now I can see more. While I read up.. any clues for some good sights? And thanks to the forum for a wealth of knowledge (and humour also!).....
Old 26-08-2008, 01:14 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickontheCoast View Post
While I read up.. any clues for some good sights? ....
Go here:-

http://www.skymaps.com/downloads.html

Download the Southern hemisphere pdf version, print it out and away you go!
Old 26-08-2008, 01:25 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by light matter View Post
I've posted once already on a thread where members were listing the software they're using, perhaps I have not understood the thread etiquite, but I seem to be ignored.

I am a beginner and I was interested in getting hold of some observation planning software and some star charting software. I've had a look at the site for "Redshift" and "Deep Sky Planner 4" and wondered if anyone had any experience of these packages, especially their suitability for the Southern Hemisphere?
Hi Robert
I've not used those packages but I've had a look at them and Deep Sky Planner does look nice.

What are your requirements? What do you want to log or plan etc?
Old 26-08-2008, 03:11 PM
NickontheCoast

... beat you to the advice ... downloaded and thinking about the clear night ahead .. cheers....
Old 26-08-2008, 03:45 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickontheCoast View Post
...thinking about the clear night ahead ......
Lucky you. 4/5s cloud outside my window! Tell us what you find!
Old 26-08-2008, 03:59 PM
BalderAsir (Nick)

hahaha yeah eric i was up in that today, bumpy as hell and looks like its gonna get thicker tonight
Old 28-08-2008, 10:48 PM
light matter (Robert)

Thanks Eric and Mike for your replies. In answer to your question Mike, my objective is basically photography. I managed to take a couple of shots (I'm not very proud of) so far, but I'm finding that the amount of time I spend attempting to get the tracking, focusing, and then searching into the only area of the sky to get a good less light polluted shot. I really need much better time help in good planning of where my best view of the subject will be so I can get the best shots.

Where I am in Sydney I find that my darkest sky looks east and as I look straight overhead the light pollution starts to have more effect.

I'll let you know how Deep Sky Planner 4 is when I get the package.... I took the plunge and decided to purchase it.

Cheers,
Old 01-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Lukazy (Luke)

Hi, I'm new here. I just got myself a 10" Dob after only having small scopes most of my life. I've always had a real interest in astronomy, but when I read a lot of the stuff on sites like this, it confuses the hell out of me. I just point my scope into the air and look through the eyepiece - seems to work well. I use a star chart and try and pick out things off it.

Anyway, is there any info on this site about how to use a dobsonian telescope properly?
Old 01-09-2008, 07:47 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Luke, to IceInSpace!

By "using it properly", what do you mean? Using star charts is a great way to get started to know where things are in the sky. However sometimes you'll want some more detailed charts and maps to find those obscure or fainter objects that are within the reach of your great 10" scope.

I started with a 10" dob and absolutely loved it. I observed some beautiful things in the time I owned it, and when I combined it with some DSC's, it was a treat to use and I observed many more objects in a given night.

Have you gone along to any astro society meets? That would be a great start to meet some other amateur astronomers, get help collimating (if you need it), and to see how they use their scopes.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Dog Star (Phil)
I'm bloody serious

Luke wrote - "I just point my scope in the air and look through the eyepiece - seems to work well."
Luke, if that ain't "using it properly" then I'm damned if I know what is.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:06 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukazy View Post
Hi, I'm new here. I just got myself a 10" Dob after only having small scopes most of my life. I've always had a real interest in astronomy, but when I read a lot of the stuff on sites like this, it confuses the hell out of me. I just point my scope into the air and look through the eyepiece - seems to work well. I use a star chart and try and pick out things off it.

Anyway, is there any info on this site about how to use a dobsonian telescope properly?
Hi Luke,
If you can, you should come along to the Barambah Dark Sky Camp.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=34767
You'll meet up with other Ice In Spacers from around South East Queensland.
You'll get loads of good advice, and get answers to all of your questions.
Everyone is very friendly and you get the chance to look through many different types of telescopes.
Cheers,
JEanette
Old 04-09-2008, 08:42 AM
Lukazy (Luke)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I am thinking of joing the Brisbane Astronomical Society (BAS) so I can get a bit more of an understanding of all things astronomical. I don't pick up my new scope till next week (which won't matter because it will be raining for the next few days anyway).

Just one more question (pardon my ignorance), I get a 25mm and a 10mm eye piece with my telescope, what other eye pieces / filters will I require for decent viewing? I'm not taking photos.

Looking forward to perhaps seeing my first DSO next week!
Old 19-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Moonlit_lily (Sasha)

Question Hi there.

Hi, I'm new here, and I got directed to this site by a relative who thought I could maybe get some answers here
I live in melbourne, Vic, Australia and I really want to know when the next strong/prominent meteor shower is that will be able to be seen from the sourounding melbourne country area's. I know the quadratids (is that right?) are in early in jan from the 1-5 and best on the 3rd, but I have no idea if they will be able to be seen here in melb. so as I said, can someone please tell me when the next strong/prominent meteor shower will be that can be seen well in melbourne is?
Thanks in advance.
Sasha
Old 20-09-2008, 11:27 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi Sasha

Read this link and follow some of the links given there:-

http://home.mira.net/~reynella/skywatch/ssky.htm#Meteor

Also some mention here:-

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=35836

Happy hunting but be aware meteors can be a a bit hit and miss - predictions of the rates can be out a long way.
Old 20-09-2008, 11:42 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Sorry, Sasha, some of those links appear to be dead.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:39 AM
rastis95 (Scott)
Cant wait for clear skies

collimation

Hi all its been a while, bad weather and just to busy . Wondering if anyone has any tips on collimating the secondary mirror. It seems to be a little out of alignment up and down the sight tube. Hoping for clear skys tonight see what happens. I use an orion collimation tool, its very close looking through that but not overly sure.
Cheers
Scott.

Last edited by rastis95; 04-10-2008 at 07:42 AM. Reason: More info
Old 05-10-2008, 11:20 AM
andyfilth (Andrew)

Hello everyone, I'm new here.
I have been an astronomy nerd since I was about 10. My life's work at the time consisted of drawing scale size images of the solar system in chalk on the pavement, making cardboard replicas of the planets to hang in my room, and putting those glow in the dark stars on my bedroom ceiling.
My parents got me one of those toyworld telescopes with which i couldn't even track the moon, thus dashing my enthusiasm at the time - it hasn't been until now that I've given thought to buying a proper telescope, as I'd always thought it would be a ludicrously expensive and complicated exercise.
So, I'm a real n00b as far as actual astronomy goes, but the enthusiasm is there. Luckily, I have a girlfriend who is also an astronomy nerd - and i thought it would be cool to get her a telescope as a birthday gift (something we can both enjoy). So I was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions in what would be a good start point for a telescope these days (my budget is under $1000). And can anyone shed any light on what kind of dough I would be up for to get into astrophotography.

Cheers!
Old 05-10-2008, 11:39 AM
vindictive666 (John)
KeyboardNotFndPressAnyKey

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfilth View Post
Hello everyone, I'm new here.
I have been an astronomy nerd since I was about 10. My life's work at the time consisted of drawing scale size images of the solar system in chalk on the pavement, making cardboard replicas of the planets to hang in my room, and putting those glow in the dark stars on my bedroom ceiling.
My parents got me one of those toyworld telescopes with which i couldn't even track the moon, thus dashing my enthusiasm at the time - it hasn't been until now that I've given thought to buying a proper telescope, as I'd always thought it would be a ludicrously expensive and complicated exercise.
So, I'm a real n00b as far as actual astronomy goes, but the enthusiasm is there. Luckily, I have a girlfriend who is also an astronomy nerd - and i thought it would be cool to get her a telescope as a birthday gift (something we can both enjoy). So I was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions in what would be a good start point for a telescope these days (my budget is under $1000). And can anyone shed any light on what kind of dough I would be up for to get into astrophotography.

Cheers!

welcome Andrew

a dob would be a good place to start but if you want to get into astro photography that can take very deep pockets

you will need something that will track ect ect, someone else will most likely jump in here for you you can always do a search there are plenty of answers to be found in IIS

i myself have a 12 inch gso dob from andrews communications

or from Bintel

there are of course different sizes in dobs, which one will depend on your need for portability ect ect

hope this is of some help

http://www.bintel.com.au/

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/

regards john
Old 05-10-2008, 01:43 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

andrew, for astrophotography - are you thinking planets or deep sky stuff?
most recommend the mount being the most important - and people usually start with an heq5 or eq6, the former about 1000, or slightly less secndhand. the ed80 (though not great for visual due to small size)is most common dso scope - about 500-600 and you will need a d-slr or dedicated ccd.
for planets most start with a webcam
if you get a dobsoian mounted reflector at 8" or 10" they are better for visual but restricted to luna/planet work - you can get rings to mount them to an eq6
Old 15-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Whizgig (Eugene)
Galaxy Gazer

Smile

Hi All, First post for me here I am a noob! I brought my wife a Telescope for a present and its a Newtonian 6" reflector on with EQ mount, I have a problem with it trying to set it up as both the RA and DE radials move by them selves and I was wondering if they are suposed to do that and if so how do I set them. I know how to set up the scope to the south -11 deg and set the alt to 38Deg for Geelong,Vic and that the scope is to be in line with the south leg of the tripod. But as the dials rotate what do I set them to to be inline with the pole so I can track objects and find them using cords?

Eugene.